X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Phantom Flag Changes

Mark

Mark,
    I assume from your post that the SG log does not reflect the flag changes.
    If that is correct, then I find it to be most mysterious, because even if the source of the change were external to SG, the flag change in HS should be relayed to SG. (When you change one of those flags in HS manually do you see it change in SG?)
    Mike____________________________________________________________ __________________
    HS3 Pro Edition 3.0.0.548, NUC i3

HW: Stargate | NX8e | CAV6.6 | Squeezebox | PCS | WGL 800RF | RFXCOM | Vantage Pro | Green-Eye | Edgeport/8 | Way2Call | Ecobee3 | EtherRain | Ubiquiti

Comment

Originally posted by Mark S. View Post
      . . .on very infrequent occasions HomeSeer is logging flag changes from SG, but there is apparently no such activity in SG. . . .This only seems to be a problem with flags.
      Is there a subset of flags that have been changed more than once, or does this appear to be randomly affecting any of them, potentially changing any flag?
      Mike____________________________________________________________ __________________

HW: Stargate | NX8e | CAV6.6 | Squeezebox | PCS | WGL 800RF | RFXCOM | Vantage Pro | Green-Eye | Edgeport/8 | Way2Call | Ecobee3 | EtherRain | Ubiquiti

Comment

In my HS log a flag change initiated by HS looks like this:
        <table border="0" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="2" width="100%"><tbody><tr><td colspan="1" class="LOGDateTime1" align="left" nowrap="nowrap">11/20/2011 11:39:10 AM </td><td colspan="3" class="LOGType1" align="left"> Device Control </td><td colspan="8" class="LOGEntry1" align="left">Device: System Monitor JDS HS Running ([50) ON</td></tr> <tr> <td colspan="1" class="LOGDateTime0" align="left" nowrap="nowrap">11/20/2011 11:39:10 AM </td><td colspan="3" class="LOGType0" align="left"> JDS StarGate </td><td colspan="8" class="LOGEntry0" align="left">Flag [50 (JDS HS Running) set to ON</td></tr></tbody></table>
        When the flag change was initiated by SG, it looks like this:
        <table border="0" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="2" width="100%"><tbody><tr><td colspan="1" class="LOGDateTime0" align="left" nowrap="nowrap">11/20/2011 11:40:59 AM </td><td colspan="3" class="LOGType0" align="left"> JDS StarGate </td><td colspan="8" class="LOGEntry0" align="left">Flag [51 (JDS SG Running) Changed to ON</td></tr></tbody></table>
        Can you tell from your log entries if the change was initiated by HS or if HS thought it was SG that was the source?

Comment

Thanks for your responses, Mike. I appreciate your help.

It took a while, but I found and digested the HS log entries for the two incidents mentioned above. The HS log snippets are in the attached Word doc:
          Yellow highlights are phantom things that appear to come from SG,
          Green highlights are things triggered in HS by the phantom SG change,
          Blue Highlights are things triggered in SG by the phantom change.

Well, it turns out that I was wrong about flags, but the problem seems weirder than I thought.

First the "Storm" of activity:
          For the first odd behavior, it seems that some very fast semi-random (there is kind of a pattern) variable changes are the main culprit. Apparently HS sees SG change variable "[19" several times in rapid succession - SG is loading it with 3's and 13's and a 2 and a 1 just for good measure. I have no single event in SG or HS that would do this. In my SG schedule, these [19 variable changes are done by a few individual events - for example the only event that would load [19 with 3 is if DI 3 (Outside Garage Motion Sensor) goes off. Similarly, [19=13 is DI 4 going off, [19=1 is DI 1 going on, and [19=2 is DI 2 going on.

I have only limited logging in the SG log, but I do see the trips of DI's 1 and 2 in the log.

So for some unkown reason, it appears like SG DI's 1-4 went a little crazy for a short while, especially DI 3. But interestingly, HS did not log any of those DI changes. I am sure the motion sensors and driveway sensors did not actually trip and certainly not that quickly (I believe a motion sensor will only trip every few seconds). Nevertheless, SG apparently interpreted them as doing so. There was absolutely no activity outside (lights should have come on). Interestingly, you can see some garage activity starting at 8:36:29 as my wife opened the doors and walked through the garage to check - and note that HS does correctly see changes in DI's 5, 6 and 7 when my wife opened the garage doors and walked through it to check outside.

So why would SG think DI's 1-4 were tripping multiple times when they were not, yet accurately reported DI's 5-7 a few seconds later? Some kind of chip fault for DI's 1-4? Or conversely, why would the variables be loaded up like they were if the DI's did not trip?

A secondary issue was a few lines where variables [15, [21 and [22 were set to zero a few times by SG. Again, makes no sense because the only way the SG schedule would set those to zero is if X10 devices C6, C7 and C8 go off, respectively. There are no HS events for those devices. So what possible common thread could there be between X10 C devices and DI's triggering together in this "storm"?

The really wierd thing is that there is kind of a pattern to the activity:
          lots of [19=3,
          then a [15=0,
          more [19=3,
          then [19=2 or 1
          more [19=3,
          then [21=0,
          then [22=0,
          more [19=3,
          then [19=13,
          and then a very similar pattern repeats a few times.

Translated into DI and X10 C activity, it looks like:
          lots of DI 3 going off,
          then a C6 off,
          more DI 3 going off,
          the DI 2 or 1 going on,
          more DI 3 going off,
          then C7 off,
          then C8 off,
          more DI 3 going off,
          then DI 4 going off,
          repeat

Again, I have no events that would do anything like that.

And lastly, if you're still with me, the false fire alarm on November 20 was SG "seeing" a fault of Caddx Zone 7 (Fire Upstairs). That Zone is un-used and is jumpered with a resistor in the panel, so I know it did not actually trip.

So the way I interpret this - either I have ghosts.... or some kind of SG hardware or communications issue. Is my SG going to pasture?

I've seen flaky power supplies do strange things. SG is behind a UPS, the Caddx and other DI devices are not.

I am baffled. I appreciate any thoughts or suggestions. Thanks for bearing with me.
          Attached Files
          Mark

Comment

Mark,
            You've clearly done some in depth investigation and analysis. I tend to agree with you that the evidence points to a malfunction in the SG box, possibly a component that is on the edge of failure.

If you haven't already, you could try running a Self Test on the SG box, then reloading your schedule and other data. I assume you've tried cycling the power to SG. If not, that would be worth a try too.

Probably your best course is to send an email to Jeff Stein (JDS support) with your analysis and ask his advice. The details you've uncovered may allow him to identify what might be the cause and allow him to determine if and how it can be corrected.

Comment

Of course. I will email jeff.

And just for good measure, I am now on the market for a backup Stargate. I'd appreciate any leads.

Thanks,

Mark
              Mark

Comment

Working...
              X