This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Stargate Connect Problem

I am a long term Stargate user and recently upgraded to HS. I spent some time over the holidays linking HS and SG, and after a long battle with pinouts on the cableing finally managed to get them talking to each other. After a few weeks of smooth operation something changed, HS and SG stopped talking to each other over the serial port. I tried reinstalling the USB to serial adapter and reviewed all of the setup parameters. Using the Alt-F10 serial montor window in WinEVM I deduce that HS is trying to connect but there is no response from SG. The Com port is set up as a modem with the correct communication parameters, I can see the WinEVM connect string come through from HS but no reponse from SG. What would cause SG to stop reponding on a Com port set up as a modem? I tried reinstalling the schedule, and I reinstalled the firware just in case (3.10.2).

One clue might be that for the some reason WebEx needed all of it's information updated (port, username, pw, enable HomeRunner, etc.) about the same time SG stopped responding. I never had that problem before. Possibly the on board battery needs to to swapped out?

Any advice would be appreciated, I'm pulling out what's left of my hair trying to solve this.

Thanks,

Leo

Have you tried connecting directly to SG COM1, rather than going through the WebX COM port?
    Mark

Comment

If you are connected to HS, you may find that HS can do what you are now doing with WebX. It will be painful during the transition, but from what you are saying and what I've heard from others, connections to SG other than through com1 do not appear to be totally reliable.
      Mike____________________________________________________________ __________________
      HS3 Pro Edition 3.0.0.548, NUC i3

HW: Stargate | NX8e | CAV6.6 | Squeezebox | PCS | WGL 800RF | RFXCOM | Vantage Pro | Green-Eye | Edgeport/8 | Way2Call | Ecobee3 | EtherRain | Ubiquiti

Comment

Connect Solution

Thanks for your reponses. Based on information I read on this forum after I posted my issue I downloaded a terminal program (one that could address up to 10 Com ports) and sent ##%03 to Com port 7 to "wake up" SG (I take it that string = CONNECT in binary?). I had to send it a few times but finally SG started responding in modem mode and HS started normally. HS sends that string twice when the plugin inititates but for some reason it takes a few more times to work.

Good advice from one of the responses. I will ponder switching HS to another Com port.

Ultimately my intent is to phase out my trusty SG and WebX, it has served me well but it's future is very dim. The HS SG plugin allows me to do this over time. The transition is painful, the house has become very dependent on SG over the years.

On another note: I'm slowly phaseing out X-10 for Insteon for obvious reasons. Has anyone developed an efficient event that updates HS when an X-10 command is received? I hate to write an event for on and another for off, I would like one event or script to look for changes in an x-10 device than make the appropriate updates to Insteon to keep the two devices in sync.

Thanks,

Leo

Comment

Originally posted by Leoleo View Post
          On another note: I'm slowly phaseing out X-10 for Insteon for obvious reasons. Has anyone developed an efficient event that updates HS when an X-10 command is received? I hate to write an event for on and another for off, I would like one event or script to look for changes in an x-10 device than make the appropriate updates to Insteon to keep the two devices in sync.
          I'm pretty sure I don't fully understand your question.

I assume SG is controlling X10. Do you have all your Insteon devices controlled by HS? What exactly do you mean by keeping them in sync?

If you import a SG X10 device into HS, then they will stay in sync using the HS callback function. It is automatic and requires no further action on your part.

BTW, although I am slowly migrating to UPB, I am still using X10, and am very pleased with it. The biggest improvement came when I installed an XTB-IIR in place the of the standard SG power line interface. I plan to continue to use SG for lighting and HVAC control as long as I can. Even though HS on a dedicated PC is extremely reliable, nothing comes close the the rock solid performance I've had and continue to have from my SG.
          Mike____________________________________________________________ __________________

HW: Stargate | NX8e | CAV6.6 | Squeezebox | PCS | WGL 800RF | RFXCOM | Vantage Pro | Green-Eye | Edgeport/8 | Way2Call | Ecobee3 | EtherRain | Ubiquiti

Comment

Gurus,

My X-10 has worked over the years but has always had reliability issues. I use many filters, an XTB amplifier, and use test equipment to solve problems. I have always wanted to switch to Insteon but it was never supported by SG. With JDS no longer furthering SG I decided to use HS and it's capability to interface with SG and finally use the Insteon capability of many of my SmartHome switches and keypads.

My plan after interfaceing SG and HS was to slowly migrate from X-10 to Insteon. I started with one INsteon light in the office as a pathfinder. When SG (still in command) sends the X-10 signal to a dummy device I want HS to see the activity and send the signal to insteon and vice versa. To do that I need an event in HS such that when the X-10 unit goes on or off it sends the same command to Insteon. Also, if the Insteon light goes on or off either manually or commanded by Insteon, HS needs to keep SG in "sync" by sending the equivalent command back to SG.

The only way to accomplish the above is to have an X-10 on event to send the Insteon on command, an X-10 off event to send the Insteon off, an Insteon on event to send an X-10 signal to SG to let it know the light is on, and an Insteon off event to let SG know the light is now off. That's a lot of events for just one device and I have't addressed anything to do with dimming yet. My question was: is there an easier way to keep an SG X-10 device dummy device and an HS Insteon device in sync. Unfortuneatly I don't know enough about HS yet to even pose the question properly. Once this is solved I will start migrating all devices over to Insteon and eventually start moving control to HS. Maybe I'm going down a rabbit hole in trying to do this in stages.

Also, someone mentioned using SG Com 1 for the HS/SG link. Com 1 on SG is dedicated to WinEVM so I can't use that? My WebX is piggybacked on Com 1 per the manual. SG Com 2 or Com 3 are my only choices for HS interfacing.

I'm noticing collisions with the WebX chatter on the Com ports and the HS signals. Occasionally the signal gets missed. An X-10 signal that is sent to HS while the WebX string is transmitting sometimes is separated and misread by HS. For me to use HS and SG with Insteon and X-10 respectively that com link has to be bulletproof, so far it isn't.

Sorry for the long post, and thanks in advance for your review and consideration.

Leo

Comment

Regarding the connection between HS and SG: I've been using Eltima Software's Serial Splitter utility for several years with excellent results. It allows you to split one physical com port into two virtual ports. I connect WinEVM to one of the virtual ports and HS to the other. Both WinEVM and HS interact with their ports (and the physical connection to SG) as if they are not sharing the connection.

For the question of syncing HS and SG, I think you may be making your life more difficult than it needs to be. As I transition to UPB, I'm letting HS control my UPB switches exclusively, while SG remains blissfully unaware of the state of any of them. The only cross communication I have implemented is that some X10 commands will generate a 'Link Activate' command from HS. I use the UPB Link to control scenes and so that allows an SG signal to affect the UPB lighting.

At some point you will need to get your head around how to duplicate the logic in a SG schedule using HS event programming. It's not as different as it seems at first, but there will be a learning curve. I think you'll find that starting up that learning curve as soon as possible is the most productive path. What you are proposing sounds like it is going to impose a learning curve of its own that will have limited long-term benefit, while complicating and confusing the actual path you will eventually need to take.

Comment

Ensure Smooth SG <=> HS Comms

I had the same problem but now use SerialSplitter software from Eltima Software (http://www.eltima.com/products/serialsplitter/) to split one physical COM Port into two Virtual COM Ports - one each for HS & SG. Be sure to mark the split feeding SG as control. Good Luck.

Comment

Working...
                X