No announcement yet.

Migrating functions from SG to HS

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I grumbled when I had to convert from HS2 to HS3, wondering if it was really worth all the effort. It didn't take long to realize it was well worth the effort. HS3 has a number of improvements in the Events making it more powerful, and more logical to follow. The devices are simpler and more consistent. Devices have many improvements in capabilities for display where you can link icons to specific values, etc. One of the nicest improvements is that device values update on screen automatically and instantly as they change without having to continually hit the refresh button. I'm sure that once you get into it you will love HS3 and see the value of converting just like I did.

Comment

Originally posted by ggrumbles View Post
      Thank you so much! Yes, I understand completely.
      Excellent. I'm sure more questions will come up. Please feel free to ask.
      I dont even know where to get the native command set for SG anymore. I actually have never used the ASCII-OUT function with SG.
      In case it's of use, I've attached a copy of the SG manual.
      I am wondering, however, what HS3 gives you over HS2. It seems interface is slicker and updated, but what else do you guys find that HS3 does or does/better than HS2?
      One other advantage of HS3 that I appreciate is that the plug-ins run independently of HS and can be started and stopped, even killed by the OS, without forcing a restart of HS. It also seems to me that the sophistication of the plug-ins has increased substantially, possibly because they are more like stand-alone programs now.
      Attached Files
      Mike____________________________________________________________ __________________
      HS3 Pro Edition 3.0.0.548, NUC i3

HW: Stargate | NX8e | CAV6.6 | Squeezebox | PCS | WGL 800RF | RFXCOM | Vantage Pro | Green-Eye | Edgeport/8 | Way2Call | Ecobee3 | EtherRain | Ubiquiti

Comment

I successfully re-implemented my Commstar (Stargate) communication using direct control through the COM port. I wanted to throw a question to the group and get some ideas.

I am sending the commands via events in HS3 and reading any commands that come from the CommStar through the EventHandler script.

I have noticed that HS3 won't stack the commands to the COM port - it seems to throw them all at once. So if I have several events triggering then I need to make sure they don't send the commands to the Commstar at the same time as the Commstar seems to ignore any overlapping commands. Is this correct?

I started to employ a response from the Commstar "ACK:LIGHTSON" for example - to let HS3 know that the command was received and executed.

However, I am trying to code this to make sense. Obviously if I don't get an ACK back, EventHandler doesn't know this. So I need to create a situation where HS3 knows it sent the command, and tell it to wait a certain amount of time to receive an ACK before it tries the command again.

I have thought of some cumbersome ways to do this but I thought I would throw it out there to get some ideas?

Comment

Originally posted by simonmason View Post
          I have noticed that HS3 won't stack the commands to the COM port - it seems to throw them all at once. So if I have several events triggering then I need to make sure they don't send the commands to the Commstar at the same time as the Commstar seems to ignore any overlapping commands. Is this correct?
          I'm not sure I understand what you are seeing. Can you provide an example of a situation that would lead to several commands going to your Commstar at the same time?
          Mike____________________________________________________________ __________________

HW: Stargate | NX8e | CAV6.6 | Squeezebox | PCS | WGL 800RF | RFXCOM | Vantage Pro | Green-Eye | Edgeport/8 | Way2Call | Ecobee3 | EtherRain | Ubiquiti

Comment

For each of my commstar lights (x10) I have created a virtual device in HS3. Then when I turn on/off the virtual device I have an event that sends the command to commstar to turn it on or off. If I turn all of the lights on in a room at the same time, then several events will trigger at the same time and Commstar is not getting them all.

This is why I was thinking of putting some code in to check to see if the ACK came back and then going from there.

Comment

Okay, now I think I understand.

I'm pretty sure both RCS and HS build in methods to deal with the lag in executing X10 commands, so that they are queued properly and executed in order. You are bypassing all of that, though, so I'm guessing the Commstar cannot handle the serial inputs while it's dealing with the X10 outputs. To compensate you are now going to have to replicate the queuing functionality yourself.

Probably not the answer you are looking for, but I think it would be much easier to use the HS3 X10 plug-in. If you use the TI-103 or XTB-232 as the interface, I think you will find that the performance is quite good.

Alternatively, If you are committed to using the Commstar as the X10 interface, I'd use one command to tell it to turn on multiple lights in a room, then have the Commstar translate that into the needed X10 commands.

Comment

I agree the native X-10 plugin is the way to go. I did start there - using an old Cm11a. That didn't work well. I decided to revert back to the Commstar because it is hooked to an XTB and it works very well.

I have moved the majority of my lights to zwave. The only reason I have any X-10 devices left is because some of the old wiring in the house has no neutral.

It's not a big deal. I don't have enough lights left to support purchasing a new XTB 232 although that would be the best way to go if I had a bigger setup.

Comment

I just noticed this thread today.

I've been a user of Michael's approach for a long time with HS2 and now with HS3.

I don't know if this might help or not but I added a scheme for SG to ack back to HS when HS sends ASCII to SG to control relays and flags. I only use a few SG flags, but I use all the relays. The scheme is to simply to send a command back to HS after SG receives a command to change the state of a relay or a flag. HS will continue to send the command up to 10 times until it receives a reply. If it doesn't I get a text msg and HS speaks "Stargate ASCII error".

I also trigger SG to send the status of all critical DI, AI inputs and relay states to HS when either SG or HS re-starts as well as every few minutes.

I use flag heartbeats between HS and SG and have SG reboot the HS computers if HS doesn't keep up.

I am using two SG Com ports connected to HS at the present time. One for HS2 and the other for HS3 while I transition from HS2 to HS3 which I have been doing for the past year or two. So far, it has all been very reliable.

Comment

That's exactly what I've been looking for also! Can you give us some more detail on how you are doing the "acks" and retries? Are you using events or scripts?

Comment

Here is a piece of sendSG_ASCII.vb
                      Select Case cmdSubj

Case "RY" ' Relay
                      hs.SetDeviceValueByRef(208, 0, True) ' ASCII Failure set to OFF
                      theDevice = cmdSubj & cmdOption
                      hs.SendToComPort(8, theDevice & "||" & cmdReq)
                      'hs.WriteLog("RY Send", theDevice & "||" & cmdReq)
                      'hs.WriteLog("RY Ack=", Convert.ToString(hs.DeviceValue(207)))

For counter = 1 To 10 ' get ack from SG from getSG_ASCII script - try 10 times
                      hs.WaitSecs(1)
                      'If hs.DeviceValueEx(207) = 0 And hs.IsScriptRunning("getSG_ASCII_3.vb") = False Then ' 207 Ack is set by getSG_ASCII
                      If hs.DeviceValue(207) = 0 Then
                      hs.SendToComPort(8, theDevice & "||" & cmdReq) ' send again if no ack
                      hs.WaitSecs(1)
                      ' hs.WriteLog("Counter=", Convert.ToString(counter))
                      Else
                      Exit For ' exit the For if ack was received from SG
                      End If
                      Next

If counter = 11 Then ' if failed to get ack from SG
                      hs.SetDeviceValueByRef(208, 100, True) ' set the failure device to ON
                      hs.SetDeviceLastChange(208, Now)
                      If hs.DeviceValueEx(55) = 100 Then ' if watchdog on send text message
                      hs.RunScriptFunc("text2Speech_3.vb", "Main", "2|002|80", True, False)
                      hs.RunScriptFunc("sendTextMessage_3.vb", "Main", "1|2", True, False)
                      hs.WriteLog("SG Failure", "RY")
                      End If
                      Else ' if recd the ack from SG
                      If cmdReq = "ON" Then ' if ack was recd set device to actual status
                      hs.SetDeviceValue("W" & cmdOption, 100)
                      End If
                      If cmdReq = "OFF" Then
                      hs.SetDeviceValue("W" & cmdOption, 0)
                      End If
                      hs.SetDeviceValueByRef(207, 0, True) ' clear ack device
                      End If

Here is part of getSG_ASCII
                      Case "RY" ' SG Relay Command Acknowledgement from sendSG_ASCII
                      theDevice = "W" & strOption
                      hs.SetDeviceValueByRef(207, 100, True)
                      'hs.WriteLog("getSG_ASCII", theDevice & strMessage)
                      theStatus = strMessage
                      If theStatus = "ON" Then
                      hs.SetDeviceValue(theDevice, 100)
                      End If
                      If theStatus = "OFF" Then
                      hs.SetDeviceValue(theDevice, 0)
                      End If

Not real fancy but it works.

Comment

Awesome - thanks for sharing!

Comment

I'm just trying to set this up, but get the following error message when the Startup.vb script runs....
                          12/24/2021 19:47:32 HomeSeer Error In OpenComPort, port already in use
                          12/24/2021 19:47:32 HomeSeer System Control Panel Immediate Script: &hs.OpenComPortTerm(8, "9600,N,8,1", 1, "GetSG_ASCII.vb", "Main", "$")

I have checked - and I currently have the Stargate Com 2 attached to Com 8 on the HS4 PC. How do you open the port if it's already in use? I am assuming that there is constant traffic on the Stargate Com 2, hence reasing this as in use.

I have tried starting HS4 before starting Stargate, but receive the same error.

Any advice on this gratefully received!

Mark

Comment

You only need to open the port once. Are you trying to open it for each transmission?

Comment

Ahh... Thanks! I really should read the instructions more closely!!

Sorted... Well port open anyway, now to sort the rest out.

Thanks again for replying on Christmas Day. Hope your day goes well.

M

Sent from my SM-G998B using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                              X