This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Music on a different computer

Some time back it was asked if there were plans to enable having your music on a different computer (or NAS) what about if you have an instance of J River running on a different computer setup as a library server and then set the instance of J River that resides on the HS box to connect to the library server. Can the plugin handle that scenario?
    Over The Hill
    What Hill?
    Where?
    When?
    I Don't Remember Any Hill

Virtualized Server 2k3 Ent X86 Guest on VMWare ESXi 4.1 with 3 SunRay thin clients as access points - HSPro 2.4.0.48 - ZTroller - ACRF2 (3 WGL 800's) - iAutomate RFID - Ledam - MLHSPlugin - Ultra1wire - RainRelay8 - TI103 - Ultramon - WAF-AB8SS - jvESS (11 zones) - Bitwise Controls BC4 - with 745 Total Devices - 550 Events - 104 scripts - 78 ZWave devices - 42 X10 devices - 76 DS10a's 3 RFXSenors and 32 Motion Sensors

I don't use the j river plugin but I've had my music on a different machine for years. The HS server only has HS on it and I prefer to keep it that way. All i really did was share the directories the music is stored and point the HS servers copy of WMP at those directories and use them as it's library.
    Marty
    ------
    XPpro SP3 /w HS Standard 2.5.0.80, HSTouch Server - 1.0.0.70, HSTouch Client 1.0.0.73 HSTouch Android - 1.0.0.2, HSTouch iPhone - 1.0.0.2
    Playing with HS3 a bit but it's just play at this point.

Comment

I'm not sure I understand what you're asking.

If you have HomesSeer, the JRMC HS Plugin, AND JRMC installed on your local machine, it does not matter where your actual songs are located. You would just add the music files to JRMC (through the standard import), and you'll have access to the library.

If you have HomeSeer and the JRMC Plugin on one machine and JRMC and your music library on a remote machine (as some users were asking earlier), the plugin will still not work (and there are still no plans to add support for this at this point).

Comment

Originally posted by ianh View Post
        I'm not sure I understand what you're asking.

If you have HomesSeer, the JRMC HS Plugin, AND JRMC installed on your local machine, it does not matter where your actual songs are located. You would just add the music files to JRMC (through the standard import), and you'll have access to the library.

If you have HomeSeer and the JRMC Plugin on one machine and JRMC and your music library on a remote machine (as some users were asking earlier), the plugin will still not work (and there are still no plans to add support for this at this point).
        If I'm reading this correctly, I'm really surprised to hear that the music files must be on the same machine as the plug-in and the main program. I would have thought J.River being around as long as it has would allow files to be shown/played from music servers and NAS drives. There is no way I'd ever clog up my HS server with my music collection, or any other media storage. I would think a lot of people are doing the same, Pro100, and HomeTroller users especially.
        Marty
        ------
        XPpro SP3 /w HS Standard 2.5.0.80, HSTouch Server - 1.0.0.70, HSTouch Client 1.0.0.73 HSTouch Android - 1.0.0.2, HSTouch iPhone - 1.0.0.2

Comment

I'm not sure you're reading it properly.

The music files do NOT need to be on the same machine as JRiver. You can add a network folder or a folder from a mapped network drive to JRiver, and JRiver will do all of its importing/indexing from the file tags (just like WMP or iTunes would). The music files are not copied locally. When you tell it to play a file, it will just grab the file and play it (again, just like WMP or iTunes).

However, the JRiver application DOES need to be on the same machine as HomeSeer for HomeSeer to access it. The actual music files do not.

Comment

Ah, OK that makes much more sense than the way i was reading it. Thanks for the clarification, I obviously needed it.
            Marty
            ------

Comment

Ok, I guess I am not reading things properly.

First my experience is if you import you lose all folder trees (been there done that) it took 6 weeks to re-rip my collection last time. I have 1251 cds in my collection, as artist/album. The only way I have been able to keep artist/album is to leave J River on my server (i have 770gigs of .wav files) so here is my setup
              Server 2003 with 1.5tb raid 5, J River setup as a library server. Server 2003 does not support my sound card, so I have a second occurance of J River (actually several) on another box running xp that will support my M-Audio Delta 1010lt setup to point to the library server (actually using a second HT1) I would like to integrate this into HS, but I don't use MP3 and I want quality audio and a minimum of 5 zones (as I get with the M-audio card)
              Over The Hill
              What Hill?
              Where?
              When?

Virtualized Server 2k3 Ent X86 Guest on VMWare ESXi 4.1 with 3 SunRay thin clients as access points - HSPro 2.4.0.48 - ZTroller - ACRF2 (3 WGL 800's) - iAutomate RFID - Ledam - MLHSPlugin - Ultra1wire - RainRelay8 - TI103 - Ultramon - WAF-AB8SS - jvESS (11 zones) - Bitwise Controls BC4 - with 745 Total Devices - 550 Events - 104 scripts - 78 ZWave devices - 42 X10 devices - 76 DS10a's 3 RFXSenors and 32 Motion Sensors

Comment

So yes, I guess my question is are there plans to have the plugin on HS able to access remote instances of J River
                Over The Hill
                What Hill?
                Where?
                When?

Comment

This is a big issue to me too .

I have a new XP install on a 24/7 lower power PC that is dedicated to HomeSeer. I want that PC to remain as clean (responsive) as possible and to not be laboured with other tasks eg iTunes or JRiver, and inparticular any aspect of being the player for the music streaming. JRiver has a bit of a reputation for its installation overheads. I also want to be able to control mutiple zones of audio.

Are there no plans to make the plugins for either iTunes or JRiver able to control remote instances. I find that most surprising as it just makes sense to do it this way....

Comment

So yes, I guess my question is are there plans to have the plugin on HS able to access remote instances of J River

Comment

Is there a way to have control of multiple zones of audio using this plugin and the hometroller? Do you get one zone of audio with the hometroller and need to add additional zones with usb sound cards?

The ability to run the jrmc application on another pc would be valuable to me.

Comment

Control MP or JR on different host(s)

I agree with others in this thread.

The ability to control instances of JR on different hosts would allow us to establish multi-source for whole house audio.

Are there plans for this?

Comment

Working...
                        X