Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

initial setup of the cas44 without keypad.

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

initial setup of the cas44 without keypad.

Hi,

my cas44 just arrived from ebay today and i have a few questions before i get started and was hoping someone could help. the cas44 i got was 54usd sold in an as is condition, and comes with only a power cord. as i want to test its functions i am trying to work out how to get started

do i have to have a keypad to make it work or can i test it with IR(logitech harmony) or via homeseer rs232 (i have the plugin)?

my end goal is to have 2x cas44's running with squeezeboxes as sources with HStouch controlling them

thanks
    Raptor
    HS3 Pro on Windows 8 64bit
    53 Z-wave nodes(46 devices, 7 remotes), 15 DS10a's, 10 ms16a's, 9 Oregon Sensors, W800, RFXCOMtrx433, Way2Call, 3 HSTouch Clients, 2xRussound CAS44, Global Cache GC100-12,10 Rollertrol blinds(+ zwave) ,3 Squeezebox Radios and 1 Squeezebox Boom,DMX Arduino via ethernet,Rain8Net,3x Echo Dot's

Check out my electronics blog here:
    https://www.facebook.com/RaptorsIrrationalInventions

Ok Special thanks to Pete for helping me here.

i called Russound today and they told me that you can control the cas44 WITHOUT a keypad via rs232.

if you call their support there is a test script they can send you that i am going to try when i get back home tonight.

my device did not respond to either the HS russound plugin or the Blade Russound plugin, so at this point i think it is hosed.

am going to try the script and possibly a firmware reflash. if that does not work it may have to go back to russound.

Raptor
    53 Z-wave nodes(46 devices, 7 remotes), 15 DS10a's, 10 ms16a's, 9 Oregon Sensors, W800, RFXCOMtrx433, Way2Call, 3 HSTouch Clients, 2xRussound CAS44, Global Cache GC100-12,10 Rollertrol blinds(+ zwave) ,3 Squeezebox Radios and 1 Squeezebox Boom,DMX Arduino via ethernet,Rain8Net,3x Echo Dot's

Comment

Raptor,

The Russound CA series zoned amps are built to literally last a very long time.

That said I have noticed over the last couple of years that if I called or wrote to Russound relating to technical questions about their product; there customer service was "top notch". These days many companies are no longer supporting products not installed by their vendors et al; which personally ding's the company in my book.
      - Pete

Auto mator
      Homeseer 3 Pro - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e 64 bit Intel Haswell CPU 16Gb
      Homeseer Zee2 (Lite) - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e - CherryTrail x5-Z8350 BeeLink 4Gb BT3 Pro
      HS4 Lite - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenovo Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram

HS4 Pro - V4.1.18.1 - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenova Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram
      HSTouch on Intel tabletop tablets (Jogglers) - Asus AIO - Windows 11

X10, UPB, Zigbee, ZWave and Wifi MQTT automation-Tasmota-Espurna. OmniPro 2, Russound zoned audio, Alexa, Cheaper RFID, W800 and Home Assistant

Comment

Originally posted by Pete View Post
        Raptor,

The Russound CA series zoned amps are built to literally last a very long time.

That said I have noticed over the last couple of years that if I called or wrote to Russound relating to technical questions about their product; there customer service was "top notch". These days many companies are no longer supporting products not installed by their vendors et al; which personally ding's the company in my book.
        completely agree, i was very impressed with their customer service esp. when i mentioned ebay.

i hope it is not hosed, but if it is there is a flat rate to fix it which is still cheaper than if i had bought the next cheapest one on ebay.

i will keep you posted.

Raptor

Comment

Thanks Raptor; curious what the outcome will be whatever you find out.
          - Pete

Auto mator
          Homeseer 3 Pro - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e 64 bit Intel Haswell CPU 16Gb
          Homeseer Zee2 (Lite) - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e - CherryTrail x5-Z8350 BeeLink 4Gb BT3 Pro
          HS4 Lite - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenovo Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram

HS4 Pro - V4.1.18.1 - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenova Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram
          HSTouch on Intel tabletop tablets (Jogglers) - Asus AIO - Windows 11

X10, UPB, Zigbee, ZWave and Wifi MQTT automation-Tasmota-Espurna. OmniPro 2, Russound zoned audio, Alexa, Cheaper RFID, W800 and Home Assistant

Comment

Originally posted by Pete View Post
            Thanks Raptor; curious what the outcome will be whatever you find out.
            i got it to work

turns out it was my serial cable.... not quite sure what happened.

i was about to give up and decided to try a usb to rs232 bridge instead of built in serial and that didnt work then i skipped the cable and bam it worked.

So to recap, it is possible to run a cas44 without keypads using oonly rs232.

thanks Pete

Raptor

Comment

Which Plug-In did you use?

Hi Raptor,

Which plug-in did you use? Just wondering, or do you mean you are using the RS-232 control from the PC?

Thanks!

Comment

Hi,
                I used the Homeseer tech plugin via rs232

Raptor

Comment

Thanks!

Perfect... I was just curious. I am not planning on installing the keypads due to WAF, so that will work out well. One more reason to move forward with getting the equipment pulled together to build a test system!

Thanks again!

Comment

Originally posted by Genglish View Post
                    Perfect... I was just curious. I am not planning on installing the keypads due to WAF, so that will work out well. One more reason to move forward with getting the equipment pulled together to build a test system!

Thanks again!
                    that was my thoiught too and it would also make an easier install.

however, i was hoping to use HSTouch to control the players but that was not immediatly possible (seemed to need extra scripting) and for instance i wanted a volume slider, could not figure out how to make one. it works great thru the web interface just not so great thru HStouch.

i have just ordered keypads.

Raptor

Comment

Working...
                    X