This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

TED 500x with Whole House Surge Arrester

I have two 200 amp main panels in my home. Currently, they each have a Square D "SurgeBreaker" in them. The "SurgeBreaker" is a double-pole device that snaps in an available spot in the main panel. It is like snapping in a double-pole breaker.

Whether or not the SurgeBreaker provides any protection is yet to be known... and I would rather not discuss the merits.

However, I would like to hear from anyone if they think/know this SurgeBreaker will interfere with the PLC interface of the MTU and Gateway.

I suspect I could wire the MTU and Gateway close to each other in one of the panels to minimize interference from the SurgeBreaker, however I do have two panels. This means the PLC signals in one of the panels has to travel upstream to the meter box and back down the other panel to communicate with the gateway.

I can always remove the SurgeBreaker(s) if I must, however I am curious if anyone has experience with this and can say if whole-house type surge breakers do or do not interfere with the PLC interface.

Thanks.

I have a whole-house surge arrester in my breaker panel and it does not interfere with TED. If you have X10 in your home however you may find that TED doesn't play so nicely with it. I solved the TED/X10 interference issue using two ACT AF300 filters, wired per the diagram I posted here:

http://board.homeseer.com/showpost.p...4&postcount=31

Don

Comment

TED 500x and SquareD surgebreaker

I have 200Amp panel with the SquareD surgebreaker installed and it does not interfere with the TED500x. The TED's may have other problems but surgebreaker isn't one of them. FWIW, I have multiple panels 200Amp with surgebreaker on it. The gateway is plugged into an outlet next to the network switch and about 40 feet from the 200Amp panel.

I have more of a problem with the zigbee display not able to pickup the gateway just 15 feet away :-(

Comment

Working...
      X