This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Recommended Z-wave Thermostat

I'm "upgrading" my Home Control System from X-10 to Z-wave. I will soon have a HomeTroller Media edition with Z-wave USB Computer interface and switches. I aslo plan on getting the Z-troller within the new 2-3 weeks. I am looking at adding HVAC control by either purchasing the RCS-TZ40 or the HAI OmniStat RC-80BZ. I like that the RCS allows averaging of 2 or more temp sensors, but I also like what seems to be a one-piece HAI thermostat. Does anyone know if I can control either with the system on order? Also does the HAI allow for averaging 2 or more temp sensor locations? I have a 2-story house with one A/C unit and would like to avearge out the upstairs and downstairs tempratures.

This is not Z-Wave, but I really like my Proliphix stats. I have 2 units. They will do sensor averaging. They have a variety of indoor and outdoor sensors available. They are also firmware upgradeable. This is one piece unit. It can operate as a stand alone unit without and additional hardware. You only need to run a cat-5 cable to the stat location and connect into your router or hub. This would be more of a hardwired solution and it works well with HomeSeer. These stats also have a built in web server so you can access all features of the stat from anywhere in the world over the net. They look nicer than the Z-Wave and X-10 units I think also.

http://www.smarthome.com/30532.html

http://www.proliphix.com/

Comment

Thanks for the info. I am seriously considering this one plus remote indoor and outdoor sensors. Would you enlighten me on how this works with HomeSeer? I've been doing very basic lighting contol until now.

Comment

Originally posted by vegascat View Post
        Thanks for the info. I am seriously considering this one plus remote indoor and outdoor sensors. Would you enlighten me on how this works with HomeSeer? I've been doing very basic lighting contol until now.
        You can download the Proliphix plugin FREE from the updater to see what the setup looks like. This plugin is from HomeSeer tech and fully supported by homeseer.

You would install this thermostat just like any other plus you need to run cat-5 network cable to the thermostat along with wires for the remote sensors. The cat-5 would then connect into your home network just like any other network devices like a PC, laptop or router. You access the configuration pages for the thermostat just like you would set up a router via web browser.

Comment

I just bought a HAI RC-80BZ thermostat. It easily joined the Z-WAVE network. I am having a few minor issues, but I'm sure I can get it resolved through Homeseer technical support. It wont display the temperature in Homeseer, instead it shows 0 degrees. (Not that cold in San Diego at the moment; especially in my house.)

Comment

Is this working now?

bradhs,

did you ever get thie irond out? I'm looking at the RC100BZ and need to know it it works with HS?

Which plugin did you use and does it show all the data from the RC?

Thanks

Ed

Originally posted by bradhs View Post
            I just bought a HAI RC-80BZ thermostat. It easily joined the Z-WAVE network. I am having a few minor issues, but I'm sure I can get it resolved through Homeseer technical support. It wont display the temperature in Homeseer, instead it shows 0 degrees. (Not that cold in San Diego at the moment; especially in my house.)

Comment

Hi Ed,

No it doesnt work yet. I believe tech support is buying one so they can figure it out. Also, until they fix the issues I wont be able to tell what kind of information I can get from the thermostat. For example, will I be able to read the filter status?

I am able to change the heat and cold setpoints and switch it to HEAT, AUTO and COLD.

I just cant do two things: 1. read the current temperature and 2. read any of the current setpoints. (Cold and Heat setpoints)

Bradley

Comment

Thanks Bradley,

I will open a Help Tick on the issue also. Perhaps we can get Rick or someones attention.

Ed

Originally posted by bradhs View Post
                Hi Ed,

No it doesnt work yet. I believe tech support is buying one so they can figure it out. Also, until they fix the issues I wont be able to tell what kind of information I can get from the thermostat. For example, will I be able to read the filter status?

I am able to change the heat and cold setpoints and switch it to HEAT, AUTO and COLD.

I just cant do two things: 1. read the current temperature and 2. read any of the current setpoints. (Cold and Heat setpoints)

Bradley

Comment

I have a Proliphix on order. My HVA system doesn't have a common wire, so I went with the ethernet powered Proliphix.

Comment

Working...
                  X