This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

TZ40 Installation problems

My TZ40 seems DOA. I installed per the instructions, which aren't too complicated since I have a pretty standard single stage gas furnace. I checked and double checked all of my wiring but when I turn the power back on to the system I get nothing. No blinking status LED on the CU (don't even see an LED), no power light on the Zwave adapter, and nothing on the Wall Display. There just doesn't seem to be any power.

I will pick up a voltage meter on the way home tonight just to be sure but I hooked my old thermostat back up to the same wire and it works fine. Has anyone else had problems with the TZ40 CU being DOA or is there something I am missing?

Karl

If I recall you will need to bring 24 volts to the unit. I used one of the unused wires in the old thermostat wires and had to connect it to the 24v at the furnace.

Comment

Thanks. I had the red 24V RC wire connected but your tip was the difference. I used the blue wire to connect to the 24V common on my furnance and to the CU. Now everything works fine. It would have been nice if they had illustrated this in the TZ40 wiring diagram in the install guide but once again, the Internet comes to the rescue when the vendors let you down.

Thanks, so much.

Comment

I've got what looks like a DOA WDU as well. I just want to make sure I have the proposed solution correct.

I can manually short 24V RH to G and Y1 and fan/compressor come on respectively. So it appears the CU is working just fine.

The proposed solution is to connect blue to "24V COM" on the CU or blue to +12VDC on the TS40?

My previous thermos did not use the blue wire at all.

Comment

I've dismantled the air handler (i love taking stuff apart) and it looks like the blue wire is not connected to anything inside. This blue wire is contained in insulation and all his friends (red, yellow, green, blue, and white).

I don't know much about the wiring of ACs, but it it looks pretty simple inside there. Can I add the blue wire to the same wire nut as the red wire? (model number: Rheem REAB-1610SLS) Or more simply can I run a wire from 24V RH to 24C COM inside the control unit?

I really don't want to spend $100 on a AC service call if I can avoid it; for something that seems so easy.
          Last edited by BootsC5; August 2, 2008, 09:31 PM.

Comment

I had to call a guy out. There were two locations which, to my untrained eye, could have been locations to connect the blue wire to and the one they connected it to was the one I was leaning towards.

It also gave me a chance to bounce some AC ideas off of them, so not a total waste of $89.

Comment

Working...
            X