Announcement

Collapse

Contacting HomeSeer This Week

HomeSeer is open and operational this week. All orders are being processed and shipped as usual. However, some staff are working from home. If you need to contact HomeSeer for support or customer service, please use our Email or Chat options. https://homeseer.com/contact-us/
See more
See less

Does using hs.controlthermostat actually poll the thermostat every time?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by rjh View Post
    The hs.ControlThermostat function is a legacy function that only works with the thermostat scripts. If you are using any of the thermostat plugins, then these functions will not work. To script the thermostat plugins, you need to access the plugin using the thermostat API which is documented in the SDK.
    It would be very helpfull if the above information would be somehow referenced in the HS User's Guide in the scripting device function reference. The ControlThermostat function is listed there without any warning or conditions. This would have saved me several hours of effort, attempting to get the function to work with a Trane thermostat.

Comment

Originally posted by rjh View Post
      The hs.ControlThermostat function is a legacy function that only works with the thermostat scripts. If you are using any of the thermostat plugins, then these functions will not work. To script the thermostat plugins, you need to access the plugin using the thermostat API which is documented in the SDK.
      Hi rjh,

Could you please clarify this? I've read that the Z-wave thermostat plugin is no longer needed and yet it's still available on the updates page. Why? I've also read that thermostat scripts are no longer needed. Is this true? Your post indicates that ControlThermostat only works with thermostat scripts but only when not using a thermostat plugin. So if I have no Z-Wave Thermostat plugin installed (and simply relied on the built-in Z-Wave thermostat functionality) I should be able to script using ControlThermostat. Am I reading this wrong?

It's very frustrating and I'm completely confused about the state of Z-Wave thermostats and thermostat scripting because there are so many conflicting message board posts about what is and what isn't built-in, what is and what isn't available, what needs to be installed, and the fact that even the most recent HS documentation conflicts with half of what is posted, including your post here.

Please see this related thermostat thread: http://board.homeseer.com/showthread.php?t=145809

Comment

Working...
      X