Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How To Poll Z-Wave Thermostat?

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #31
    Originally posted by Rupp View Post
    Keep in mind these changes were not only for tstats but all Z-Wave devices like Locks that have more children devices. The constant polling all of these child device each time was killing the battery life.
    How many children does a lock device have?

    Comment


    • #32
      Originally posted by dbrunt View Post
      How many children does a lock device have?
      The Schlage lever has the root device plus 3 additional: Battery, Alarm and Door Lock.
      HS3Pro Running on a Raspberry Pi3
      64 Z-Wave Nodes, 168 Events, 280 Devices
      UPB modules via OMNI plugin/panel
      Plugins: Z-Wave, BLRF, OMNI, HSTouch, weatherXML, EasyTrigger
      HSTouch Clients: 3 Android, 1 Joggler

      Comment


      • #33
        Well I was having trouble even getting my Zwave t-stat to show an option for polling in the configure screen, so I did what Rupp said, and took the node off, and added the node through the software in the setup screen. So, that finally added the thermostat with an option in the config menu for the polling interval. I set the interval at 60 seconds, and nothing really happened. So, then I set the polling interval back down to 0 since it wasnt working anyway, and set up a recurring event to poll the parent device. Now, I get this message every 60 seconds that it is polling the t-stat every 60 seconds, and there are no error message in the logs, but nothing else happens either. The temperature never updates, the "last changed" column never changes, etc.

        I just keep getting these messages that polling is going on, but nothing about the success or failure of those polls, and no error message, but no results, either. See below.

        2/2/2012 2:15:03 PM - Event - Event Trigger "Thermostat Update"
        2/2/2012 2:15:03 PM - Event Action - Event Default Thermostat Update is polling Z-Wave Living Room Z-Wave Thermostat 9
        2/2/2012 2:16:03 PM - Event - Event Trigger "Thermostat Update"
        2/2/2012 2:16:03 PM - Event Action - Event Default Thermostat Update is polling Z-Wave Living Room Z-Wave Thermostat 9
        2/2/2012 2:17:03 PM - Event - Event Trigger "Thermostat Update"
        2/2/2012 2:17:03 PM - Event Action - Event Default Thermostat Update is polling Z-Wave Living Room Z-Wave Thermostat 9
        2/2/2012 2:18:03 PM - Event - Event Trigger "Thermostat Update"
        2/2/2012 2:18:03 PM - Event Action - Event Default Thermostat Update is polling Z-Wave Living Room Z-Wave Thermostat 9
        2/2/2012 2:19:03 PM - Event - Event Trigger "Thermostat Update"
        2/2/2012 2:19:03 PM - Event Action - Event Default Thermostat Update is polling Z-Wave Living Room Z-Wave Thermostat 9
        2/2/2012 2:20:03 PM - Event - Event Trigger "Thermostat Update"
        2/2/2012 2:20:03 PM - Event Action - Event Default Thermostat Update is polling Z-Wave Living Room Z-Wave Thermostat 9
        2/2/2012 2:21:03 PM - Event - Event Trigger "Thermostat Update"
        2/2/2012 2:21:03 PM - Event Action - Event Default Thermostat Update is polling Z-Wave Living Room Z-Wave Thermostat 9

        Comment


        • #34
          And another thing

          And, through all this, all I have to do is manually click on the update button on the computer, and it updates perfectly, it changes the temp to show the correct value, and it changes the "last changed" column to the current time.

          Obviously there is something wrong in the polling routines and there is something different in the automatic polling routines than what happens when you push the update button.

          This is driving me and a lot of other people cuckoo.

          Comment


          • #35
            Originally posted by orthoman View Post
            Well I was having trouble even getting my Zwave t-stat to show an option for polling in the configure screen, so I did what Rupp said, and took the node off, and added the node through the software in the setup screen. So, that finally added the thermostat with an option in the config menu for the polling interval. I set the interval at 60 seconds, and nothing really happened. So, then I set the polling interval back down to 0 since it wasnt working anyway, and set up a recurring event to poll the parent device. Now, I get this message every 60 seconds that it is polling the t-stat every 60 seconds, and there are no error message in the logs, but nothing else happens either. The temperature never updates, the "last changed" column never changes, etc.

            I just keep getting these messages that polling is going on, but nothing about the success or failure of those polls, and no error message, but no results, either. See below.

            2/2/2012 2:15:03 PM - Event - Event Trigger "Thermostat Update"
            2/2/2012 2:15:03 PM - Event Action - Event Default Thermostat Update is polling Z-Wave Living Room Z-Wave Thermostat 9
            2/2/2012 2:16:03 PM - Event - Event Trigger "Thermostat Update"
            2/2/2012 2:16:03 PM - Event Action - Event Default Thermostat Update is polling Z-Wave Living Room Z-Wave Thermostat 9
            2/2/2012 2:17:03 PM - Event - Event Trigger "Thermostat Update"
            2/2/2012 2:17:03 PM - Event Action - Event Default Thermostat Update is polling Z-Wave Living Room Z-Wave Thermostat 9
            2/2/2012 2:18:03 PM - Event - Event Trigger "Thermostat Update"
            2/2/2012 2:18:03 PM - Event Action - Event Default Thermostat Update is polling Z-Wave Living Room Z-Wave Thermostat 9
            2/2/2012 2:19:03 PM - Event - Event Trigger "Thermostat Update"
            2/2/2012 2:19:03 PM - Event Action - Event Default Thermostat Update is polling Z-Wave Living Room Z-Wave Thermostat 9
            2/2/2012 2:20:03 PM - Event - Event Trigger "Thermostat Update"
            2/2/2012 2:20:03 PM - Event Action - Event Default Thermostat Update is polling Z-Wave Living Room Z-Wave Thermostat 9
            2/2/2012 2:21:03 PM - Event - Event Trigger "Thermostat Update"
            2/2/2012 2:21:03 PM - Event Action - Event Default Thermostat Update is polling Z-Wave Living Room Z-Wave Thermostat 9
            Setting up a recurring event with the script command &hs.PollDevice "Q1" where Q1 is the root thermostat ID works for me. That doesn't look like whatever you are doing.
            Also, in my case, associating the root thermostat with HomeSeer resulted in the room temperature readings being updated as they change (no need for polling for that).
            Do note that the Last Change time/date do not update unless the temperature or a setting actually changed before/during the last poll.

            Comment


            • #36
              For now, set up an event that runs an immediate command as mentioned:

              hs.polldevice("q1")

              Replace q1 with the code of your thermostat.

              Or, you can go back to the previous build, I can give a link if you need it.
              website | buy now | support | youtube

              Comment


              • #37
                ok i tried that

                Ok, I did do that - I set up the event to run the script command

                &hs.polldevice "Q1"

                And now, it did update the temp when it changed a half degree -- success!

                However, I also changed the set temp a few minutes ago, and that value has not updated yet...

                Comment


                • #38
                  The mode does not always update immediately. It should be working, I just tried it here and the mode updated.

                  Originally posted by orthoman View Post
                  Ok, I did do that - I set up the event to run the script command

                  &hs.polldevice "Q1"

                  And now, it did update the temp when it changed a half degree -- success!

                  However, I also changed the set temp a few minutes ago, and that value has not updated yet...
                  website | buy now | support | youtube

                  Comment


                  • #39
                    Success

                    Well, it looks like for the first time since I got HomeSeer last month, the thermostat is polling correctly and updating.

                    Thanks to the forum moderators for helping me to get this working.

                    Any idea when the automatic updating will be working right?

                    Comment


                    • #40
                      Originally posted by joegr View Post
                      Also, in my case, associating the root thermostat with HomeSeer resulted in the room temperature readings being updated as they change (no need for polling for that).
                      Which T-stats support association? Obviously Honeywell does. CT30 does not? Others??

                      Comment


                      • #41
                        Teh TZ45 supports associations (which should include the latest TRANE thermostat). The CT30 does not.

                        Right now HS only supports updating the temp with associations, not the other parameters. HS3 will support auto updating of all the parameters.

                        Originally posted by dbrunt View Post
                        Which T-stats support association? Obviously Honeywell does. CT30 does not? Others??
                        website | buy now | support | youtube

                        Comment


                        • #42
                          associations

                          Ok, I don't understand. I have one of those Ct130 2GIG thermostats. And, the only way i have found to update the thermostat root device is to poll it directly with a recurring event and the &hs.polldevice "Q1" command. when I do this, the temperature, the setpoint, the mode (working or idle), etc all seem to update appropriately.

                          Also, I have noticed that this direct method works for the temperature child device of the root device.

                          So what is this association stuff everyone has been talking about?

                          Comment


                          • #43
                            Originally posted by orthoman View Post
                            Ok, I don't understand. I have one of those Ct130 2GIG thermostats. And, the only way i have found to update the thermostat root device is to poll it directly with a recurring event and the &hs.polldevice "Q1" command. when I do this, the temperature, the setpoint, the mode (working or idle), etc all seem to update appropriately.

                            Also, I have noticed that this direct method works for the temperature child device of the root device.

                            So what is this association stuff everyone has been talking about?
                            One post down/up
                            "The TZ45 supports associations (which should include the latest TRANE thermostat). The CT30 does not."
                            -Rupp
                            sigpic

                            Comment


                            • #44
                              I have trane thermostats and I finally got my errors worked but I am still on .29. So, what I am hearing is that if I go to the latest of .49, I will need to do this script to get my stats polling correctly? Or do associate them to work correctly?

                              What is associate and how do you do it?
                              Transitioning to HS3Pro .298 - WinXPEmbedded

                              Hometroller S3 Pro - WinXPEmbedded - HSP 2.5.0.81 - BLStat - HSPhone - HSTouch Srvr 1.0.0.73 - Touchpad - BLLan - BLOccupied - DSC Plug 2.0.0.14 - BLStat .38

                              Comment


                              • #45
                                Originally posted by Dafunktyfunk View Post
                                I have trane thermostats and I finally got my errors worked but I am still on .29. So, what I am hearing is that if I go to the latest of .49, I will need to do this script to get my stats polling correctly? Or do associate them to work correctly?

                                What is associate and how do you do it?
                                Yes, you will have to add the polling script if you want the main thermostat device to be up to date (room temp, set temp, mode, fan, operating or not).

                                Association causes the room temperature sub device to update anytime the temperature changes. Click on the main thermostat device from the status screen. You will then get the polling (now useless) and other options for the thermostat, one of which is association. Associate it with HomeSeer to get auto temperature updates.

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X