This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

HomeSeer Server Restart Frequency - Poll

I know I have seen threads that ask how long their HS Server has been up and running... I have also heard that some people have their HS Server reboot daily to increase reliability.

I personally have been doing an automated weekly reboot, but I am thinking of moving to daily due to stability issues with HSTouch...

Your input would be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks.
    Daily
    8.43%
    Weekly
    27.71%
    Monthly
    4.82%
    Only when maintenance and/or noticed lockup
    59.04%

I only reboot when I have to. Running HSTouch as well.
    Attached Files
    💁‍♂️ Support & Customer Service 🙋‍♂️ Sales Questions 🛒 Shop HomeSeer Products

Comment

I've apparently been lucky and escaped the memory problems. I rarely reboot and even then it's only to update something on HomeSeer or do a Windows security upgrade.
      Marty
      ------
      XPpro SP3 /w HS Standard 2.5.0.80, HSTouch Server - 1.0.0.70, HSTouch Client 1.0.0.73 HSTouch Android - 1.0.0.2, HSTouch iPhone - 1.0.0.2
      Playing with HS3 a bit but it's just play at this point.

Comment

Originally posted by Rupp View Post
        I only reboot when I have to. Running HSTouch as well.
        Rupp... Your system is amazing... I am jealous of your uptime between boots. It looks like a little more than half of users are confident in not having to reboot their system also...

Just out of curiosity what version of HSTouch Server Plugin and which versions / clients are you running... only Windows version or do you have any CE and/or CEPPC clients running?

Thanks.

Comment

I restart every ten days otherwise speach becomes very slow and after about sixteen days HS crashes with strange .Net errors.
          I only run HS and mainlobby on my machine which is running xp. I have for some time suspected the speaker client; I guess one day I will disable it to see!
          Phill

Comment

I am running a Pro100 on .84 currently with HSTouch 1.0.0.1 and HST Client 1.0.0.6 - running the client on Asus EeeTop(XP Home)wireless and the Designer/Client on and box( XP Pro) and wired - I do not reboot the Pro unless doing an upgrade on software or I do something that causes a reboot.

The only thing I see besides is with HSTouch - the Clients disconnect this happens randomly and has been going since Pre-Release of HSTouch:

9/5/2009 3:38:38 PM ~!~HSTouch Server~!~Opening connection from:192.168.1.5/2085
            9/5/2009 3:38:39 PM ~!~HSTouch Server~!~Client Burner (192.168.1.5/2085) named Burner has CONNECTED.
            9/5/2009 3:38:42 PM ~!~THERMOSTAT~!~Mode Set: 2
            9/5/2009 3:38:42 PM ~!~THERMOSTAT~!~Mode Set: 2
            9/5/2009 3:42:45 PM ~!~HSTouch Server~!~Opening connection from:192.168.1.5/2087
            9/5/2009 3:42:46 PM ~!~HSTouch Server~!~Client Burner (192.168.1.5/2087) named Burner has CONNECTED.
            9/5/2009 3:42:48 PM ~!~THERMOSTAT~!~Mode Set: 2
            9/5/2009 3:42:48 PM ~!~THERMOSTAT~!~Mode Set: 2
            9/5/2009 3:43:16 PM ~!~Z-Wave~!~Temperature report for sensor Z-Wave MultiSensor 79 Motion Sensor Temperature=79.9 Degrees F
            9/5/2009 3:43:16 PM ~!~Z-Wave~!~Light level report for sensor Z-Wave MultiSensor 79 Motion Sensor Light Level=39% Light
            9/5/2009 3:43:16 PM ~!~Z-Wave~!~Battery level report for sensor Z-Wave MultiSensor 79 Motion Sensor Battery Level=94%
            9/5/2009 3:45:21 PM ~!~HSTouch Server Warning~!~Client dropped connection 192.168.1.5/2087
            9/5/2009 3:45:21 PM ~!~HSTouch Server~!~Client Burner:Burner (255.255.255.255/0) has raised LineDisconnected.
            9/5/2009 3:45:21 PM ~!~HSTouch Server~!~Client Burner (255.255.255.255/0) named Burner has DISCONNECTED.
            9/5/2009 3:45:21 PM ~!~HSTouch Server~!~Opening connection from:192.168.1.5/2088
            9/5/2009 3:45:29 PM ~!~HSTouch Server Warning~!~Client dropped connection 192.168.1.5/2088
            9/5/2009 3:45:29 PM ~!~HSTouch Server~!~Client (255.255.255.255/0) has raised LineDisconnected.
            9/5/2009 3:45:29 PM ~!~HSTouch Server~!~Client (255.255.255.255/0) has DISCONNECTED.
            9/5/2009 3:45:30 PM ~!~HSTouch Server Warning~!~Client dropped connection 192.168.1.5/2033
            9/5/2009 3:45:30 PM ~!~HSTouch Server~!~Client Burner:Burner (255.255.255.255/0) has raised LineDisconnected.
            9/5/2009 3:45:30 PM ~!~HSTouch Server~!~Client Burner (255.255.255.255/0) named Burner has DISCONNECTED.
            9/5/2009 3:45:34 PM ~!~HSTouch Server Warning~!~Client dropped connection 192.168.1.2/2554
            9/5/2009 3:45:34 PM ~!~HSTouch Server~!~Client EeeTop:EeeTop (255.255.255.255/0) has raised LineDisconnected.
            9/5/2009 3:45:34 PM ~!~HSTouch Server~!~Client EeeTop (255.255.255.255/0) named EeeTop has DISCONNECTED.
            9/5/2009 3:45:34 PM ~!~HSTouch Server~!~Opening connection from:192.168.1.2/2563
            9/5/2009 3:45:34 PM ~!~HSTouch Server Warning~!~Client dropped connection 192.168.1.2/2563

The only way I have found to solve the problem is restart HS.

Comment

Hello Kaldoon...

I was getting those errors with my setup and found the problem to be a power saving feature of the wireless adapter on the client device... In my case it was a Dell Axim x50v PPC and when I went into the wireless adapter settings I found a check box to Disable Power Save Mode. I know that sometimes Windows XP machines have a power save mode hidden in the device manger properties under the Power Management tab as a check box that states "Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power".

I am currently running HS 2.3.0.0 / HSTouch Server 1.0.0.1 / CEPPC client 1.0.0.5

Comment

Hello Megatron2;

Turned off any power-saving functions from the beginning - just double-checked the Eeetop to verify this - the other computer(XP Pro) is cat5 into a gigabit switch - I could see if it was just the EeeTop but not both. Doesn't happen as often as it did during beta - just a pain in the A#$ at 4am and the Good Morning Button does not work because it is disconnected.
                Last edited by kaldoon; September 6, 2009, 11:17 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by nightwalker View Post
                  I've apparently been lucky and escaped the memory problems. I rarely reboot and even then it's only to update something on HomeSeer or do a Windows security upgrade.
                  Same here.

Comment

Thank you for participating in the poll...

At this point it looks like half of users feel they need to restart their HS2 Server at least once a week in order to maintain a reliable system.

I am leaving my vote at weekly, but moving to a more frequent reboot schedule to see if I can increase my reliability. Maybe in the near future I will do a reformat and install... it does seem that my system gets less reliable with time...

It would be great if we could figure out why it is that some systems can run forever without restart... I imagine it is dependent on method of installing windows, how corrupt the windows os is (time since last format and install), windows os updates, .net updates, and etc.. there are so many variables. Maybe Rupp could work on creating a realtime manual of how to install, which microsoft and HS updates he has applied, how often one should reinstall windows)... You could name the realtime manual "The Rupptopian HS Manual".

Comment

Originally posted by megatron2 View Post
                      Thank you for participating in the poll...

At this point it looks like half of users feel they need to restart their HS2 Server at least once a week in order to maintain a reliable system.

I am leaving my vote at weekly, but moving to a more frequent reboot schedule to see if I can increase my reliability. Maybe in the near future I will do a reformat and install... it does seem that my system gets less reliable with time...

It would be great if we could figure out why it is that some systems can run forever without restart... I imagine it is dependent on method of installing windows, how corrupt the windows OS is (time since last format and install), windows OS updates, .net updates, and etc.. there are so many variables. Maybe Rupp could work on creating a real time manual of how to install, which Microsoft and HS updates he has applied, how often one should reinstall windows)... You could name the real time manual "The Rupptopian HS Manual".
                      This was the main driving reason behind the Home Troller. It has a controlled OS and was built for HomeSeer only. I know I ONLY run HomeSeer on my server and it's in a closet and is rarely touched. It has NO anti virus software loaded nor any other 3rd party software aside from HomeSeer 3rd party plugins.
                      💁‍♂️ Support & Customer Service 🙋‍♂️ Sales Questions 🛒 Shop HomeSeer Products

Comment

I've hit a new record myself. My server has been performing very well with a working set size holding at ~ 200MB.

Usually, I ghost my server every 30 days on top of regular tape backups. Haven't gotten around to doing it just yet....

Robert

Running 2.3.0.19
                        Attached Files
                        HS3PRO 3.0.0.500 as a Fire Daemon service, Windows 2016 Server Std Intel Core i5 PC HTPC Slim SFF 4GB, 120GB SSD drive, WLG800, RFXCom, TI103,NetCam, UltraNetcam3, BLBackup, CurrentCost 3P Rain8Net, MCsSprinker, HSTouch, Ademco Security plugin/AD2USB, JowiHue, various Oregon Scientific temp/humidity sensors, Z-Net, Zsmoke, Aeron Labs micro switches, Amazon Echo Dots, WS+, WD+ ... on and on.

Comment

I understand what you are saying Rupp... about the Hometroller...

It might be time for me to bite the bullet and move to a machine dedicated to be my HomeSeer Server in order to achieve the reliability that I desire. I wonder if any of the weekly or sooner restarters are using a Hometroller.

Comment

Ok

I seem to be doing fine, BTW this is a dedicated p4@3Ghz running only hs and z seer.
                            Attached Files
                            Last edited by ; September 11, 2009, 04:06 PM. Reason: detail

Comment

I run HS with loads of plugins including HSTouch. I have both serial and USB interfaces and it runs incredibly stable.

I tend to do a monthly reboot but only because I download Microsoft updates.

My OS is XP in a VMware session.
                              Nicolai L

Comment

Working...
                              X