This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Need to trigger an event based on contact closure

I have a number of things that have an output relay and I would like to trigger an event from contact closure/opening on them.

What is the best way to be able to do this? I have seen door/window contact detectors which can be used for this but all I have seen are battery powered and I would prefer to use something that plugs in.

Does anyone know of a good item to use for this?

Here's one option that works with both X-10 and Insteon. What technology do you want it to work with?

http://store.homeseer.com/store/Smar...P1240C245.aspx

Cheers
    Al
    HS 4.2.8.0: 2134 Devices 1252 Events
    Z-Wave 3.0.10.0: 133 Nodes on one Z-Net

Comment

Thanks Al,

That looks like it will work but I'm hoping to stay with Z-Wave - sorry I failed to mention that!

I'm in the process of switching from x-10 to Z-Wave and was hoping to be able to be all Z-Wave but if the best fit is Insteon I will use it.

Bob

Comment

Hi Bob,

For z-wave, the only non battery powered option that I know of is the Fortrezz MIMO (http://www.fortrezz.com/mimo.html). However, it's still in Beta testing, so not readily available. See here for more details http://board.homeseer.com/showthread.php?t=153644. You would need to use it with an external power adapter.

The other option is to modify some of the battery powered z-wave sensors to use an external power adapter.

Cheers
        Al
        HS 4.2.8.0: 2134 Devices 1252 Events
        Z-Wave 3.0.10.0: 133 Nodes on one Z-Net

Comment

I had same need - there was nothing off-the shelf that I could find.

Solution 1
          =======
          I have recently extensively tested ZFM-80 and Aeon micro switch. I had issues with ZFM not always being able to report status (it is on the far side of the house) where Aeon worked with no issues (same with Solution #2 below - works with no dropped status). So I would strongly suggest to anyone looking for CC sensor powered by 120V to use Aeon micro switch.

Just recently I found ZFM-80 which is light switch but also supports external switch/contact closure. Second (critial) is that it supports instant status in HomeSeer so you can detect change immediately - thus it can act as a sensor. That would be the best solution I am aware off. You do need 110V to power it up but don't need to connect any load for it to work (tested this myself).

Aeon lab micro switches look very similar and I found out how to get instant status from them.
          http://store.homeseer.com/store/Micr...ches-C256.aspx

http://board.homeseer.com/showpost.p...6&postcount=26

Second more complicated option:
          ======================
          I used Everspring SM103. It has inputs (screw posts) to wire contact closure that you want to sense. It runs on battery (3 x 1.5) so instead of using those I tested and it seems to work fine with 5V (USB power). So I just pulled out soldering iron and soldered two wired directly to battery contacts. You can use one of these to get USB power or many of plugin chargers available today.

http://store.homeseer.com/store/Coop...P1301C230.aspx

Then you cut off one end of the USB cable (great thing is that they come in many lenghts and I used 12 FT since in my case outlet is far from the sensor) and just wire power pins to Everspring SM103. Good wire diagram here:

http://www.se7ensins.com/forums/thre...things.785623/

Hope this helps ... I have USB setup for ~6 months and works good ... obvious disadvantage is that sensor won't work during power outages but I don't care since it is not a security thing, it is just a garage door sensor - if there is no power I can't open/close anyway without going there in person using muscles .
          Last edited by Person; June 2, 2013, 11:38 PM. Reason: Added more info on Aeon

Comment

Thanks for all of the input, gives me plenty to think about!

I sent an email to see if I can get in on the MIMO beta, if so I'll let you know how it goes.

I looked at the ZFM-80 and it looks interesting, am going to order 1 to test with.

I have an Everspring SM103 on hand and was wondering if it would be a good option by hooking power to it, since you have had good luck with it I am going to try it too.

The instant status in HomeSeer is also critical for the uses I have and not working during a power outage won't affect me in the least although I do have a backup generator.

I'll let you know what works best for me.

Thanks again, Bob

Comment

I use some standard security contacts wired to a rain8relay board to do just this. If you have a security system you could also use unused zones with a contact for this, of course you'd have to have a system that is monitored by HomeSeer.
              Marty
              ------
              XPpro SP3 /w HS Standard 2.5.0.80, HSTouch Server - 1.0.0.70, HSTouch Client 1.0.0.73 HSTouch Android - 1.0.0.2, HSTouch iPhone - 1.0.0.2
              Playing with HS3 a bit but it's just play at this point.

Comment

That's a good thought Marty, I have a DSC system which I understand can be tied into Homeseer but that was farther down my list of to dos - may have to rethink it.

Bob

Comment

I misspoke about the rain8relay, I use that for low voltage lighting. What i use for contact closure triggers is a UPB module and unused zones on my DSC system tied in with BLDSC plug-in. The UPB module works great but was getting expensive to add more so the DSC unused zones worked out much better.

To use the DSC unused zones (or an added a zone expander), on the 1832 panel i believe you can setup zones as non alarm zones, on the 832 all you really need to do is set them up as standard zones but in a partition that never gets armed.
                  Marty
                  ------
                  XPpro SP3 /w HS Standard 2.5.0.80, HSTouch Server - 1.0.0.70, HSTouch Client 1.0.0.73 HSTouch Android - 1.0.0.2, HSTouch iPhone - 1.0.0.2

Comment

That sounds even better Marty. I have the 832. Are there any gotchas I should watch out for setting up the DSC?

Thanks again,
                    Bob

Comment

Not really, it's pretty straight forward, once you've read the programming manual half a dozen times . The only thing you'd do different is to setup zones you're going to use to monitor contact closures on a different partition than everything else, like security. If you don't do that when you set the alarm those non security zones will also be part of the security. Meaning that if one of those contacts opens the alarm will go off, not what you want.
                      Marty
                      ------

Comment

Think I'll go for it, I've read the programming manual well more then a half a dozen times so a few more and I should be ready! I will use a different partition, my wife and dog wouldn't appreciate false alarms!

Comment

Originally posted by sussbob View Post
                          I will use a different partition, my wife and dog wouldn't appreciate false alarms!
                          They never do, drives both nuts
                          Marty
                          ------

Comment

FYI I figured out how to get instant status from contact closure on micro switch ... see post:

http://board.homeseer.com/showthread.php?t=154422

Comment

Looks good, I have 1 on the way to play with.

I found a 5v transformer in my old xformer box and hooked it up to a SM103 and appears to be working great.

Comment

Working...
                              X