This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Problem with HS2 and HSP

I've been using both HS and HSP for years but a problem has recently developed. MY HS version is 2.3.0.19 and I am using a Way2Call Desktop USB modem. Lately, HS seems to randomly "forget" that there is a modem attached. That is, phone calls are not recognized and, of course, are not announced.

In troubleshooting this I have found that the only solution is to stop and restart HS. Powering off/on or disconnecting/reconnecting the modem doesn't solve the problem The modem is working and during the problem the Hi-phone icon is active in the taskbar and the modem tests ok. Also, I have noted that, when I take a phone off hook, instead of seeing the "waiting for command (#)..." message in the log, nothing happens at all. The phones are, however, still working when this happens.

The "Line Specific Settings" section of Setup shows the modem as the default

I've tried issueing a linereset and/or restoresettings command to no avail.

I have my computer set -- via "Kick-Off" -- to reboot daily and have seen the problem occur as soon as 20 minutes after a reboot and as late as immediately before a reboot.

I'm using a dedicated computer running Win XP MCE with SP2.

I've run out of ideas! Anyone have any suggestions? It's quite frustrating since it happens randomly and there appears to be no way to tell that it has happened other than noticing that the phones don't announce.

Thanks.

Tony

Sounds like either a modem problem or USB Root hub problem. Do you have another PC that you can load a trial version of HomeSeer on and plug the modem in and see if it drops out? Also make sure your USB Root Hub isn't set to power saver mode or this can happen as the USB port will go to "sleep".
    💁‍♂️ Support & Customer Service 🙋‍♂️ Sales Questions 🛒 Shop HomeSeer Products

Comment

Thanks

Thanks, Rupp. I figured you'd be the first to respond but not that quick!

I've thought about setting things up on a new laptop I just got but dread the effort! That will be my last ditch effort.

I would think that, if it were a modem or usb hub problem either the Hi-phone icon wouldn't be there or the test and/or configuration wouldn't work.

The USB root hubs are all being reported as "no problem" in the hardware manager but they were configured to allow the computer to put them to sleep. I've corrected that and I'll see if that solves the problem.

Have a good weekend!

Tony

Comment

Hopeful!

Well, it's been almost a week now since I changed the usb ports not to sleep and I haven't had a problem with the phone. I hope that this has solved the problem! Since the problem was intermittent it will take a while longer to be sure either way.

Tony

Comment

Oh Well!

The problem has recurred twice in the past two days. Obviously changing the usb power management didn't solve it.

Anyone have any other ideas?

Thanks.

Tony

Comment

I had the same problem with my old Homeseer PC with the USB connection to my UPS. Did all the things already suggested but never solved the problem. Obviously related to USB hardware and/or drivers. Even looked on the Internet for something to 'refresh' USB connections but did not find anything.

In the end I purchased a cheap USB PCI card and plugged the USB from the UPS into that. Guess what...worked flawlessly!
            Jon

Comment

USB problem versus HS problem

Hi Jon,

Your message implies that the problem was in the USB port(s) on your computer. While that is always a possibility I can't understand why, in my case, the modem would test out fine (using the W2C utility) when this happens and why the problem would be solved by stopping and restarting HS.

Maybe my HS is getting as old as I am and just "forgetting" things ;-)

Thanks.

Tony

Comment

I hate to be a "let's blame MS" kind of guy..

But i had a machine that would no longer go to sleep/suspend... and i traced it back to an "Update" to XP that changed how the Operating System handled USB devices.. (wireless keyboard.).

I never could figure out how to make the machine go to sleep automatically again.. (Now i schedule PSSHUTDOWN when no motion detected in room for 2 hours.)..

Point is.. MS "Updates" have occasionally played poorly with USB and Sleep mode..

Could the timing of when the problem occurred/re-occurred be tied to a patch/update from MS?

Just a thought.
                Regards,

Andrew B.

Comment

Originally posted by atalbert View Post
                  Hi Jon,

Your message implies that the problem was in the USB port(s) on your computer. While that is always a possibility I can't understand why, in my case, the modem would test out fine (using the W2C utility) when this happens and why the problem would be solved by stopping and restarting HS.

Maybe my HS is getting as old as I am and just "forgetting" things ;-)

Thanks.

Tony
                  No, you are probably right. My point is that if the USB drops and comes back on-line, the modem would only be reinitialised on startup of HS or when you start the W2C utility.
                  Jon

Comment

Don't think so

Andrew,

Thanks. I AM a blame MS guy, having dealt with microcomputers since the Apple ][. I have automatic updates turned off on my machine. I don't think the problem is related to an MS update but wouldn't swear to it. Since the computer is used solely to run HS (and Mainlobby) sleep mode is turned off.

Looking at Way2Call forum it seems as though other people are seeing the same problem.

Tony

Comment

Thanks Jon

Ah, now there is a thought! I'm not sure that the W2C utility reinitializes the W2C though - I'll have to look at that the next time this happens. I wonder is there is a way to reinitialize (or would that be reinitialise in the UK?) the W2C through HS (short, of course, of stopping and restarting HS)?

Essentially, if I understand what you are thinking, if the USB drops out the W2C would not be "seen" by HS and would not be recognized even after the W2C is functioning.

Too bad HS wasn't coded to allow for a forced reinitialization of the W2C! Then a script could be run every so often.

Cheers!

Tony

Comment

Update

Well, it just happened again. I tried using the W2C utility and it ran all the tests successfully. It did not, however, start the device working in HS again. I tried the configuration wizard, and the suspend command, as well as the test. As has been the case, the phones worked, the W2C worked, but HS had "no idea" that the W2C was there!

Just for fun, when I got things working again I disconnected the usb connection to the W2C. HS came up with a warning message that the Hi-Phone had been disconnected and it was "attempting to reconnect". It did not reconnect after the cable was reconnected to the W2C. Interesting! If the problem is a "drop out" by the computers usb, why wouldn't I have seen that message?

As Alice said "Curiouser and curiouser"!

I think I may try going back to 2.2.0.66 when I find the time to see if the problem is related to 2.3.0.19.

Tony
                        Last edited by atalbert; June 1, 2009, 02:13 PM. Reason: correction

Comment

I finally fixed my way2call!

I had been having a problem with my way2call, where it would work from minutes to hours, then it would just stop. My problem was with the usb ports going to sleep. I fixed them to be always on through the device manager, and it has been working for over a week with no problems. I would like to thank whom ever wrote this fix. I really appreciate it.

Terry

Comment

Working...
                          X