Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I guess I did the same thing, but the hard way. I moved HS to a new machine. No problems with HS Phone now, but now I have a whole lot of new problems with HS and Windows 7.....
    Mark

Comment

Hi

Hi Mark,

Glad to hear that you got you problem solved too but sorry to hear about the new problems. I was indeed tempted to move HS to a different machine but was too lazy to do all that work ;-)

My HS computer is still running on XP SP3, unlike my other computers which are either Vista or 7. I was thinking about upgrading it to Vista and then to 7 (for the obvious reason that one can't do a direct XP to 7 upgrade without a clean install).

Could you give me some idea of what problems you are having with HS on 7?

Cheers.

Tony

Comment

Part of the problem with the new install is that I have so many wierd quirks that I don't even know where to start. I have seen:
        • HS just crashes and closes every few days
        • HSTouch is very, very slow
        • The HS web interface just quits on me every so often
        • Apparently I now have a memory leak
        • Media Player plugin won't play playlists without repeated requests
        • Weather XML scripts don't seem to work
        • And more
        Everything worked fine with XP. Windows 7 has really been a challenge, mainly because it is a huge learning curve. I often sit in wonder of how Microsoft ever thought that 7 made Windows "easier".
        Mark

Comment

Personally I believe that MS has added many layers to the "onion" of their OS. That said most of it has been of a benefit to the end user. They have actually made the learning curve much easier now in its simplicity of Windows 7. I mean they have to compete these days with PDA telephones and tablets.

The assumption though is that OS issues will take care of themselves and the preferences are rather that the user just see's the issues fixed rather than the granular details (there are much more these days).

I found that I could get HS to run just fine on W7 32bit/64bit. But in order to get HS to run such that I could see the software / hardware connectivity I had to peel back or disable many of the built in features of the W7 OS; which I really didn't like spending the time doing. Doing so disables many of the new adds to the OS probably causing more harm than good.

I think the final end goal though will be that you "rent" the OS / or a la carte it such that you only use what you want and it'll be a pay per use per time thing). That said eventually you will just probably run the most current OS (rented not purchased) in the cloud and pay for the time of using it; (your computer will just be a terminal per say). Really why not anyways based on the assumption that you have a 24/7 connection to the internet.

Concurrently I also tested W2011 64 bit (W2008R2). I found in order to get HS to run I had to modify it such that it ran pieces of W7 32bit. This really is beyond the scope of most folks that would be running W2011 - yes it would be somewhat of a learning curve to modify an OS such that it worked like or had the features of a previously release OS. (its that a la carte thing now that we are seeing). Run Android without a connection to the internet and tell me how well it works.

That is me though as I try to do direct connects to any hardware piece connected to the HS computer before using a script or a plugin which talks to the hardware and always have. (say sniff the serial (including USB or Network) comm between the hardware and the OS to really see what is going on).

The concerns with doing that was more related to the interdependant pieces that I disabled as all of the pieces need to really work in concert to provided the optimal benefits of the OS.

I see this with the testing of mcsSprinklers running only the pure guts of what is required (IE Mono et al) on a very basic and tiny OS running with an OK CPU and minimal memory.

Same thoughts say as running HS on a VM (say with W2003/XP) on a 2011 box or even stripping out the 2011 pieces and running it on pure Linux (removing another layer of stuff). There's a bit of competition there ....

So personally for me the Homeseer to OS thing has been related primarily concentrating on the application as its doing a lot and I want to see how and what and when its doing it.

My HS box is configured such that it runs headless and such that the "extra" OS baggage (which indeed is plug n play and has probably the most easiest learning curve of any previous Window OS) is not needed. Ideally though it would be nice to make one of the many touchscreens the main house controller disguised as a touchscreen with a failover secondary maybe touchscreen. Right now the Aopen Digital engines can do just that. You can put one in the family room, connnect it to your LCD TV via HDMI, install HS on it running say 20 plus HW devices via a virtual or a single interface, build one HSTouch status screen say 55" / 60" and manage HS running in the backround via the network interface and it will do just fine. Say you want to impress upon your friends what the house automation is doing; put it all on one large 16:9 1900 X 1200 pixel hstouch display. You should have no problems fitting many variables on that screen. That said you can put a mini wintel OS on a bitty Joggler with a capacitance screen and run Homeseer, HS Server, HSTouch push the CPU a bit; but it works.
          Last edited by Pete; July 15, 2012, 10:07 AM.
          - Pete

Auto mator
          Homeseer 3 Pro - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e 64 bit Intel Haswell CPU 16Gb
          Homeseer Zee2 (Lite) - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e - CherryTrail x5-Z8350 BeeLink 4Gb BT3 Pro
          HS4 Lite - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenovo Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram

HS4 Pro - V4.1.18.1 - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenova Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram
          HSTouch on Intel tabletop tablets (Jogglers) - Asus AIO - Windows 11

X10, UPB, Zigbee, ZWave and Wifi MQTT automation-Tasmota-Espurna. OmniPro 2, Russound zoned audio, Alexa, Cheaper RFID, W800 and Home Assistant

Comment

Bummer

Wow, Mark. Sounds like a real disaster! Do you still have the old machine to revert to? Sounds like that would be better than trying to fix the issues you are having with 7.

I think, maybe, I'll just stay with XP for my HS server for the time being ;-)

Tony

Comment

Working...
            X