This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

HTML & HSTouch

As I work on HSTouch screens I'm finding I need to show a web page on occasion. I've run into two problems that I wonder how others handle.

1. If the web page is larger than the available screen space in HSTouch there doesn't seem to be a way to get to the rest of it, no scroll bars are shown. Have I missed something or is it not possible?

2. Since most if not all of HS and it's various plug-ins are web based I'm finding it sometimes difficult to show some pages for reports and what not if the screens are larger than a HSTouch area. This goes along with the above question.

I guess what I'm wondering is if there will be a SDK for HSTouch so plug-in authors who desire can get tighter integration with HSTouch than it seems is possible with a web based output that is used now?
    Marty
    ------
    XPpro SP3 /w HS Standard 2.5.0.80, HSTouch Server - 1.0.0.70, HSTouch Client 1.0.0.73 HSTouch Android - 1.0.0.2, HSTouch iPhone - 1.0.0.2
    Playing with HS3 a bit but it's just play at this point.

Have you tried a simple frame?

<!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.01 Frameset//EN"
    "http://www.w3.org/TR/html4/frameset.dtd">
    <HTML>
    <HEAD>
    <TITLE>MSN in a frame</TITLE>
    </HEAD>
    <FRAMESET cols="100%">
    <FRAME src="http://msn.com/">
    </FRAMESET>
    </HTML>

The above frameset will show MSN.com in a frame. This should work for most web pages.

Comment

Is there a way to do it (add up/down and left/right scrowll bars) in a text box or button? Surprisingly, the text box works by default on my Win CE touch screen.
      -Todd

____________________________________________________________ ________________
      HS2Pro: 2.5.0.81 :: HS3Pro (beta) || Plugins:| SmartHome PowerLinc USB, Global Cache, BLBackup, DooCPU Monitor, DooMotion, BLOutlook, BLIcon, BLOutgoingCalls, OutgoingCalls, ROC-Rnd, HSTouch iPhone, UPS Monitor, DooMenuBar, BLSpeech, HSTouch Server, WAF AB8SS, mcsTemperature, VWS, BLChart, RFXCOM, ISY Insteon, iAutomate RFID, iTunes, NetCAM, DSC Security, Nest

Comment

Originally posted by tmcgowan View Post
        Is there a way to do it (add up/down and left/right scrowll bars) in a text box or button? Surprisingly, the text box works by default on my Win CE touch screen.
        There are no options currently to add scroll bars other than the previously mentioned html code.
        💁‍♂️ Support & Customer Service 🙋‍♂️ Sales Questions 🛒 Shop HomeSeer Products

Comment

I have not tried this but I will give it a shot. It seems to me that it should be something built into HSTouch since a lot of the stuff we've all used here is in web page format. It would also be nice to see way to get tighter integration with HS and not have to use web pages. Much like the current Media player and Itunes players are trying to do.

Originally posted by djjcoleman View Post

<HTML>
          <HEAD>
          </HEAD>
          <FRAMESET cols="100%">
          </FRAMESET>
          </HTML>

The above frameset will show MSN.com in a frame. This should work for most web pages.
          Marty
          ------
          XPpro SP3 /w HS Standard 2.5.0.80, HSTouch Server - 1.0.0.70, HSTouch Client 1.0.0.73 HSTouch Android - 1.0.0.2, HSTouch iPhone - 1.0.0.2

Comment

I just tried that and it worked like a charm. Those were a few lines of code that would have been nice in the help file, hint hint HST.

It's obvious that you dropped into a web page of course but it's usable and I thank you for sharing.

Originally posted by djjcoleman View Post

<HTML>
            <HEAD>
            </HEAD>
            <FRAMESET cols="100%">
            </FRAMESET>
            </HTML>

Marty
            ------

Comment

Originally posted by nightwalker View Post
              I just tried that and it worked like a charm. Those were a few lines of code that would have been nice in the help file, hint hint HST.

It's obvious that you dropped into a web page of course but it's usable and I thank you for sharing.
              Why would HomeSeer want to put HTML help into their help files? You can find alot of HTML by simply using a google search. http://www.devguru.com is one of the better pages.

Comment

Originally posted by Rupp View Post
                Why would HomeSeer want to put HTML help into their help files? You can find alot of HTML by simply using a google search. http://www.devguru.com is one of the better pages.
                I would think it would be in there because:
                1) I wouldn't have expected HST to need this kind of work around but it does.
                2) The help file or the forums seemed the natural place to look for information about the program, especially a beta.
                3) Until an hour ago I didn't know what the hell a "frame" was or that it was possible. I would have had no idea about what to search for.
                4) Since HSTouch is not HTML and all the rest of HomeSeer is, a little anticipation that this type of question might come up. That is what a help file is for I believe.

Plus
                It wasn't so much HTML help I was looking for but how to show it in HSTouch. There are tips in the help file on how to show a web page, but nothing on how to show all of it. A picture along with how to do it is even included, a nice picture of the HS website but just a piece of it. Maybe they didn't know how to do it either.

C'mon Rupp, you have no obligation to answer any question I might pose here but I don't expect to be scolded for not only asking it, but for not looking elsewhere for the answer. Obviously I've pissed you off in some way, some where or some how. I can't imagine where or how but it comes through loud and clear.
                Marty
                ------

Comment

I'm missing something here. I understand the HTML code, but not how you implement it in HSTOUCH. Is there a property where you can enter it? I tried using the text field, but it didn't work out.

Thanks -

Matt Z

Comment

Originally posted by mattz View Post
                    I'm missing something here. I understand the HTML code, but not how you implement it in HSTOUCH. Is there a property where you can enter it? I tried using the text field, but it didn't work out.

Thanks -

Matt Z
                    I used the code supplied by djjcoleman, changed the pointer within to point to the page I wanted and then saved it to the HS HTML directory as xxxx.html. I then pointed the text property to that page and I got instant scroll bars so I was able to see the entire page as opposed to a piece of it. Makes me happy as a clam.
                    Marty
                    ------

Comment

Nope, not mad at all maybe a little disappointed. It amazes me that users expect the help files to cover every aspect that HomeSeer could ever encounter. From HTML, to vb script, to vb.net scripting, to asp and aspx development, etc. HomeSeer is a tool to allow the use of these applications. The help files would be the size of an encyclopedia collection if all of this is covered. That's why this message board and help desk are provided. Also instead of users complementing the applications for allowing a diverse way of accomplishing a task they often complain that HST missed something in the help files. It get a bit old that's all.

Comment

Originally posted by Rupp View Post
                        Nope, not mad at all maybe a little disappointed. It amazes me that users expect the help files to cover every aspect that HomeSeer could ever encounter. From HTML, to vb script, to vb.net scripting, to asp and aspx development, etc. HomeSeer is a tool to allow the use of these applications. The help files would be the size of an encyclopedia collection if all of this is covered. That's why this message board and help desk are provided. Also instead of users complementing the applications for allowing a diverse way of accomplishing a task they often complain that HST missed something in the help files. It get a bit old that's all.
                        Glad to hear you're not mad and I could understand disappointed but we'll have to disagree on the help files. Maybe I'm too old and remember when a real manual came with software, that was the size of dictionary but if you dug long enough your answer was in there. Let's face it, while i know HS is a small company the help file is pretty basic, depending on your knowledge starting point. I've read it cover to cover many times over and there are still things in there that i just glaze over because I simply don't know what they're talking about.

I only brought it up since HS did cover it in the help file but seemed like they left a paragraph off, since they ended up with the same piece of a screen I did.

I certainly don't expect the HS manual to cover or teach me all those topic's but it would be nice if it was touched on as they pertain to HSTouch or whatever software, in it's help file.

If you don't know much about a topic it's real tough to search the web for an answer if you don't know what the question is. Had someone just given a tip saying look for "frames" that would have been good enough, even though the how to do it was posted and I liked that even better.
                        Marty
                        ------

Comment

Just to clarify, you can use the element actions (adjust a control up/down) to scroll a web page. You can assign these actions to Up/Down buttons, or assign either up or down to a slider. I will be adding right and left actions, but they are not in there yet.

Comment

I used the code supplied by djjcoleman, changed the pointer within to point to the page I wanted and then saved it to the HS HTML directory as xxxx.html. I then pointed the text property to that page and I got instant scroll bars so I was able to see the entire page as opposed to a piece of it. Makes me happy as a clam.
                            Perfect! Thanks for filling in the missing pieces!

Matt Z.

Comment

Originally posted by rjh View Post
                              Just to clarify, you can use the element actions (adjust a control up/down) to scroll a web page. You can assign these actions to Up/Down buttons, or assign either up or down to a slider. I will be adding right and left actions, but they are not in there yet.
                              I'll have to try that, is that feature new? I was trying it before but never did get it to work. Doing it with a slider would make it look a little more integrated than normal web page scroll bars.
                              Marty
                              ------

Comment

Working...
                              X