Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Controlling multiple devices with one Slider - Solved!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Controlling multiple devices with one Slider - Solved!

Is it possible to control multiple lamps with a single slider ? I have tried to add actions to a slider, but this does not work. So far, I can get a single slider to control (dim etc.) one lamp, but for my purpose it would be good if a single slider could control multiple devices. If this is possible, how is this done??

Many Thanks

i am fairly new to homeseer and i am just using the trial version and making all my touchscreens so i know if the $600 is worth it

but... i think you can have a slider control a scene.... do you have the lights you want to control added to a scene controller? like an inwall one.

if so then can you make the device association for the slider tracking the scene controller.

Comment

I have 4 individual dimming devices in one room, which I would like to control through 1 slider. I don't have a scene controller (presuming this is hardware). Thanks, Harry

Comment

Originally posted by vossenh View Post
        I have 4 individual dimming devices in one room, which I would like to control through 1 slider. I don't have a scene controller (presuming this is hardware). Thanks, Harry
        You can only assign one slider to one device.
        💁‍♂️ Support & Customer Service 🙋‍♂️ Sales Questions 🛒 Shop HomeSeer Products

Comment

With an event, you can control 4 devices in two ways.

From HSTouch, you can set the slider to send the slider variable to the event and the event drives all 4 dimmable devices to the prescribed value.

Don't ask me how to do this as I am merely posing what I believe I've read will work.

Another thing you can do is set up an event that is triggered by the status change of one of the 4 dimmable devices. Action is to Set the other 3 devices to the same dim value as the one you are changing via HSTouch.

If it were me, I'd associated the slider with a virtual device "Room Light Level", and have that room light level run a script which sets the dim / on / off values for each of the 4 dimmable devices based on the dim level of the virtual device.

I think I just gave 3 ways, two of which I know are possible, and the third is reportedly possible.

There are issues with each method depending on the technology used and I don't know what they are. Try a technique and see if it works well enough. If not, try another until you find one that suits your needs.
          huggy_d1

Automating made easy

Comment

I created a virtual device called 'Lighting Level' and created a set of value pairs. In HST I use a drop down control associated with the virtual devices and when the value changes I have the following events:

Set Lights - All - Off:
            Device 1st Floor Living Room Lighting Level value becomes equal to Off
            1st Floor Living Room Lights - Lower Off
            1st Floor Living Room Lights - Upper Off
            1st Floor Living Room Lights - Rear Off

Set Lights - All - Low:
            Device 1st Floor Living Room Lighting Level value becomes equal to Low
            1st Floor Living Room Lights - Dim 25%
            1st Floor Living Room Lights - Upper Off
            1st Floor Living Room Lights - Rear Off

Set Lights - All - Medium:
            Device 1st Floor Living Room Lighting Level value becomes equal to Medium
            1st Floor Living Room Lights - Dim 50%
            1st Floor Living Room Lights - Dim 30%
            1st Floor Living Room Lights - Dim 30%

Set Lights - All - High:
            Device 1st Floor Living Room Lighting Level value becomes equal to High
            1st Floor Living Room Lights - Dim 60%

Set Lights - All - On:
            Device 1st Floor Living Room Lighting Level value becomes equal to On
            1st Floor Living Room Lights - Dim 100%

The down side is I have set lighting levels (analogous to scenes) and not full variable control.

Comment

OK, after thinking about this a bit more this is what I came up with. See if this works for you.
              • Create the slider in the designer
              • Select the Actions Actions When Selected... Collection
              • Add an action
              • Select HomeSeer: HomeSeer: Run a HomeSeer script with values from elements(s)
              • Select slider.vb (code below)
              • SciptProcedure: Main
              • Parameters - ScriptParameter1: select your slider from the drop down screen
              • Select OK to dismiss the Action Editor

Here's the content of the slider.vb script
              Code:
              Sub Main(parm as object)
                hs.writelog("HSTouch", parm(0))
                hs.Transmit("D2","DDim",parm(0),0,False,False)
                hs.Transmit("D3","DDim",parm(0),0,False,False)
              End Sub
              Change the hs.Transmit calls to your other lights.

The way this works is you grab the slider and when you let go it runs the script.

Comment

this should be in the sticky....??

Comment

I'm awaiting someone to verify that it works for them. Then we can consider sticking it.

Comment

Thanks for the suggestions. I will try the them all and let you know how I get on with them.

Comment

I have just tried out the suggestion from Rupp and it works perfectly and is also very simple to implement, one slider, one action and a script with only a couple of lines of code. Does it perfectly for me. Have not tried the other suggestions yet as we have a bit of a dog emergency on our hands tonight with our dog being rushed in for an emergency operation. Anyway, perfect suggestion and perfect result.

By the way, rather than posting a new thread, I will ask the following question in here. Does the HSTouch Client support animated gifs?? I am in the process of setting up a security page and have found that it displays static images for the security device status perfectly well. However in my HomeSeer status page, the PIR security sensor shows an animated gif for when they detect motion (motion.gif) When I select the status tracking attribute and link the textbox to show the status image of a device, then it will not show the animation, actually it will show nothing at all. Strange though, as when I make the link and point to the device in the Status Tracking dialog box, it can clearly see the animated gif in full animation. Is it possible that HSTouch Client simply does not render this to screen??

Harry
                      Last edited by vossenh; January 6, 2010, 04:51 PM.

Comment

I have just tried out the suggestion from Rupp and it works perfectly and is also very simple to implement, one slider, one action and a script with only a couple of lines of code. Does it perfectly for me. Have not tried the other suggestions yet as we have a bit of a dog emergency on our hands tonight with our dog being rushed in for an emergency operation. Anyway, perfect suggestion and perfect result.

By the way, rather than posting a new thread, I will ask the following question in here. Does the HSTouch Client support animated gifs?? I am in the process of setting up a security page and have found that it displays static images for the security device status perfectly well. However in my HomeSeer status page, the PIR security sensor shows an animated gif for when they detect motion (motion.gif) When I select the status tracking attribute and link the textbox to show the status image of a device, then it will not show the animation, actually it will show nothing at all. Strange though, as when I make the link and point to the device in the Status Tracking dialog box, it can clearly see the animated gif in full animation. Is it possible that HSTouch Client simply does not render this to screen??

Harry
                        Glad the suggestion worked for you. I may move the info to the how-to forum.
                        No animated gifs are not supported.

Comment

Wow this was super helpful! I'm just wondering about one thing... When I set a slider to be controlled this way, when the HS touch is initally booted up, it doesn't seem to grab the current values of any of the devices. I tried setting the status tracking to one of the many lights I wish to control with my slider and checked "Do not control associated device when element is selected." However when I do this, my slider ONLY controls that one light! Any ideas? :-)

Comment

Originally posted by Wentworth View Post
                            I tried setting the status tracking to one of the many lights I wish to control with my slider and checked "Do not control associated device when element is selected." However when I do this, my slider ONLY controls that one light! Any ideas? :-)
                            I have the same problem. Did you ever find a solution for this?

Thanks!
                            stefxx

Comment

vossenh, still getting the same problem... I'm completely baffled :-(

Comment

Working...
                              X