Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sending HSTouch client name to HS Script

Hi,

I asked about this in the past but never got an anwser.

I'm building a navigational script for my HSTouch setup. My problem is that I can't find a way to set an action button that would send the client name with the command.

It's easy to program something like :

&hs.runex("HSTouch_SR.vb","ChangeScreenTo","Kitchen")

It should call the sub ChangeScreenTo in the script HS_Touch_SR.vb. That sub, would then use HSTouch action to change the screen on the calling client.

I can't hardcode the client name like in this :

&hs.runex("HSTouch_SR.vb","ChangeScreenTo","iPhone_SR;Kitche n")

Is there a way to insert the client name in that command?

Thank you!

I can't hardcode the client name like in this :

&hs.runex("HSTouch_SR.vb","ChangeScreenTo","iPhone_SR;Kit che n")

Is there a way to insert the client name in that command?
    i'm a bit confused...why can't you do this?

Comment

Because I already have 4 clients. I don't want to maintaint 4 differents versions.

I need to insert a variable in my command that contain the client name.

That's what I'm looking for.

Comment

I understand why now but I don't think there is, none of the replacement variables (in the help file at least) cover client/screen names, they are;

[$DATE]
        [$TIME]
        [$DATETIME]
        [$FREEMEM]
        [$SCRIPT]
        [$LOCATION1]
        [$LOCATION2]
        [$ELEMENT=screen_name->name]
        [$ZIPCODE]
        [$BATTERY]
        [$REGEXREPLACE=input->pattern->replacement]
        [$REGEXMATCH=input_string->pattern]
        [$RSS=url->table->item->row]

My understanding is you would need the four seperate clients each with different projects, the only thing to make it slightly easier you could hold the name in a text element and pass this to the script but its still not what you are after.

Comment

I am looking for the same thing I think. Push one button on any client. it runs a script that says if client X button pushed then do this, if Client y button pushed then do this. but how do I code the Clent name in a script?

Comment

Hi Raptorsss. We need the same thing! A replacement variable for the client name.

Thank you MrHappy. I didn't found the help file.

Now at least I know that I'm not the only one that need this!

It should be easy to add! Please Rich! :-)

Comment

Yes, Yes, Yes, I really need something like a client name variable. Some of my screens when used on multiple clients is a real PITA.

StevenE
              Why oh why didn't I just leave things alone, they had been working.

Comment

Almost forgot, as a work around I have been trying....

I created a screen that has several buttons with names for clients.

You manually have to go to the screen and push a button, which sets text in the 'clientname' button with the client name chosen.

You can then pass this info to a script, a work around yes. Completely reliable, well so far no one remembers to pick the client name in my house.. uuugh.

This still leaves the issue of assigning status to butons dynamically per client, I have not found any work around for that yet.

StevenE
                Why oh why didn't I just leave things alone, they had been working.

Comment

I think we should push this issue. I'm now to the point where I'm creating screens that I want on all of my ipod touches and iphones, but I want each one to have a different main screen or timeout screen. It's a pain to either maintain 4 versions, or change the main screen each time I deploy. Same concept for the most part, If I could tell what client was there I'd be able to act accordingly.
                  Joe (zimmer62)

BLSecurtiy, AC-RF2, RCS Serial Thermostats, RFXCOM SMarthome SwitchLinc, mcsXap, Global Cache GC100, SqueezeBox, TWA_ONKYOINTEGRA, BLLogMonitor, BLPlugins, BLRadar, BLSpeech, BLZLog.aspx, HSTouch (Windows, iPhone, iPod), USB Mimo touchscreens, VMWare Server, Vortexbox, Windows Home Server, MyMovies, Windows Media Center, X10, ZWave, and much much much more.

Comment

I would like a "client" name also. Has anyone put in a help desk request?
                    James

Running HS 3 on Win10 .

Comment

Originally posted by zimmer62 View Post
                      I think we should push this issue. I'm now to the point where I'm creating screens that I want on all of my ipod touches and iphones, but I want each one to have a different main screen or timeout screen. It's a pain to either maintain 4 versions, or change the main screen each time I deploy. Same concept for the most part, If I could tell what client was there I'd be able to act accordingly.
                      I am in the same boat as you -- Maintaining multiple versions of the client for a specific main screen. If you had a client replacement variable, how would that help in this case? Some type of server control of timeouts?
                      - Tom

HSPro/Insteon
                      Web Site
                      YouTube Channel

Comment

Another vote from me. I have been using a text box and referencing it in my scripts so I only have to change it one place but it is still a pain.

Comment

What I think would allow a lot of scripting flexibilities would be to create:
                          1. The client name variable
                          2. New triggers actions on the HS side:
                            1. On connect
                            2. On disconnect
                          With theses:
                          1. I could call a script from a button without having to put hardcode client name.
                          2. I could use the On connect event to push the last screen I was using it the last time.

Comment

I also need this and started to set it up but have been delayed due to other projects. This is what I had come up with using what is avaliable today. Was also looking at writting a small plugin to make it more automatic.

Current thoughts

1) Install log monitor pluin http://board.homeseer.com/showthread.php?p=646405
                            2) If you have 5 clients setup 5 buttons on hidden data screen
                            3) Setup one text box on data screen named "Client Name"
                            4) Set up each buton with action to set a diffent cline name into text box
                            5) setup log monitor to trigger on client connect message in log and execute script"client update"
                            6) script would send five messages, one to each specific client to press the correct button on that client
                            7) Then in your substitution use the contents of "Client Nane"

You could do this several ways slightly diffrent than this but that was my thoughts. I have not tested this yet.

Gerard

Comment

Originally posted by Gerard View Post
                              I also need this and started to set it up but have been delayed due to other projects. This is what I had come up with using what is avaliable today. Was also looking at writting a small plugin to make it more automatic.

Current thoughts

1) Install log monitor pluin http://board.homeseer.com/showthread.php?p=646405
                              2) If you have 5 clients setup 5 buttons on hidden data screen
                              3) Setup one text box on data screen named "Client Name"
                              4) Set up each buton with action to set a diffent cline name into text box
                              5) setup log monitor to trigger on client connect message in log and execute script"client update"
                              6) script would send five messages, one to each specific client to press the correct button on that client
                              7) Then in your substitution use the contents of "Client Nane"

You could do this several ways slightly diffrent than this but that was my thoughts. I have not tested this yet.

Gerard
                              I agree this might work, I think in another thread we've talked about something similar. It's still a hack, and such hacks are really just a distraction from getting the client to do what we want quickly.

I've put in a feature request (enhancement) in the new bug tracking system. Hopefully this gets some attention at some point.
                              Joe (zimmer62)

BLSecurtiy, AC-RF2, RCS Serial Thermostats, RFXCOM SMarthome SwitchLinc, mcsXap, Global Cache GC100, SqueezeBox, TWA_ONKYOINTEGRA, BLLogMonitor, BLPlugins, BLRadar, BLSpeech, BLZLog.aspx, HSTouch (Windows, iPhone, iPod), USB Mimo touchscreens, VMWare Server, Vortexbox, Windows Home Server, MyMovies, Windows Media Center, X10, ZWave, and much much much more.

Comment

Working...
                              X