Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Multiple screens & workflow - A question in regards to best practice.

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Multiple screens & workflow - A question in regards to best practice.

I have been toying with designs for every platform and I have noticed that with windows mobile, it will have several screens open, even after I am done using them. Also, on occasion I will get a lag, or a crash if I bounce around a lot on the iPad... so I am wondering if this could be a culprit as well.

My question/scenario: I am at the main screen and I want to go to a new screen with cameras on it. So when I have the camera icon go to the new page using the screen option of "Show another screen by itself", will this close out the screen I was just on (main) and now only the camera screen should be open?

Aside from a definitive answer for the above question, I have been designing more complex HSTouch deployments as of late. So any advice from the old schooler's on ideas of how to streamline and/or best practices to make the remote less resource intense would be welcomed and appreciated.

I'd like to know this as well - after a while, I notice that I have numerous screens that are 'open' in the background. This is on the android client.
    HS4Pro on a Raspberry Pi4
    54 Z-Wave Nodes / 21 Zigbee Devices / 108 Events / 767 Devices
    Plugins: Z-Wave / Zigbee Plus / EasyTrigger / AK Weather / OMNI

HSTouch Clients: 1 Android

Comment

I can't say that I've noticed this on the PC clients or the Iphone clients. I do however use very few pop ups to keep things simple. I use a very few pops on PC clients and none on the Iphone.

In my first few projects I was using the setting "show another screen on top of the current screen locked" that should have worked to keep screens from dropping behind but I've never been able to get that to work as I thought it should. Now I pretty much, with few exceptions, use the "show another screen by itself". On the two clients I'm used to working with this has worked and not left any screen abandoned.

I don't use an ipad or an android client so I can't speak to that.
      Marty
      ------
      XPpro SP3 /w HS Standard 2.5.0.80, HSTouch Server - 1.0.0.70, HSTouch Client 1.0.0.73 HSTouch Android - 1.0.0.2, HSTouch iPhone - 1.0.0.2
      Playing with HS3 a bit but it's just play at this point.

Comment

So, "show another screen by itself" would seem to indicate that it is the only screen occupying memory/resources at that time?
        HS4Pro on a Raspberry Pi4
        54 Z-Wave Nodes / 21 Zigbee Devices / 108 Events / 767 Devices
        Plugins: Z-Wave / Zigbee Plus / EasyTrigger / AK Weather / OMNI

HSTouch Clients: 1 Android

Comment

show another screen by itself - I don't use, in my experience the shown screen unloaded, then the next screen loaded giving me a quick look at the desktop behind...the way I understood it enabled just the one screen to be open at any one time.

I use the shown on top locked option myself, not had a problem with it.

I have a feeling the iPhone client does not matter what you set it as as the screen stuff it will have its own way of dealing with the showing/closing of screens.

Comment

Wow, it's amazing how we all seem to have slightly different experiences using the same program. I never saw the the problem of seeing the quick look of the desktop between screen changes, it's been instant.

I'll have to try the locked option again, maybe they fixed it and didn't mention it, or it just doesn't work for me. Either way I'll try it again. That mode would be perfect for those times that I do have a screen pop up over another. Looking at the docs it seems it would prevent screens from dropping behind one another, of course I thought that last time too.

Originally posted by mrhappy View Post
            show another screen by itself - I don't use, in my experience the shown screen unloaded, then the next screen loaded giving me a quick look at the desktop behind...the way I understood it enabled just the one screen to be open at any one time.

I use the shown on top locked option myself, not had a problem with it.

I have a feeling the iPhone client does not matter what you set it as as the screen stuff it will have its own way of dealing with the showing/closing of screens.
            Marty
            ------
            XPpro SP3 /w HS Standard 2.5.0.80, HSTouch Server - 1.0.0.70, HSTouch Client 1.0.0.73 HSTouch Android - 1.0.0.2, HSTouch iPhone - 1.0.0.2

Comment

That's the way it's worked for me. mrhappy on the other hand seems to have a slightly different result. I can't explain other than to think maybe it's the speed of the client that HSTouch is running on?

Originally posted by rmasonjr View Post
              So, "show another screen by itself" would seem to indicate that it is the only screen occupying memory/resources at that time?
              Marty
              ------

Comment

Originally posted by nightwalker View Post
                That's the way it's worked for me. mrhappy on the other hand seems to have a slightly different result. I can't explain other than to think maybe it's the speed of the client that HSTouch is running on?
                I'd probably go along with something like that, graphics drivers, speed of client and the client itself (I think this was with the linux client) was probably causing it...but solved with the show on top method, to prevent screens stacking on top of each other I just designed the project so that I never had more than three screens open which never seemed to cause a problem with memory...

Comment

I'd say it's the speed. When I run the client on my server, the screens move perfectly. When I have it run on my clunky desktop I develop and mess around with (reinstalling all the time, etc.) it can sometimes show the desktop behind.

It doesn't happen enough for me to care.

--Dan
                  Tasker, to a person who does Homeautomation...is like walking up to a Crack Treatment facility with a truck full of 3lb bags of crack. Then for each person that walks in and out smack them in the face with an open bag.

Comment

Working...
                  X