This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

BlackBerry Client

How come there appears to be no blackberry client....

Are you referring to the blackberry tablet? Its based on the QNX operating system. And though somewhat unix like, it is its own thing and not as many developers around compared to Linux, Winders and iOS.

The best touch possibility from the HomeSeer stable is the Maestro series of plugins that run on flash. I don't know that they will work with BB for sure. Because i have these plugins I am looking for price of the BB tablet to get ridiculously low and then would consider it.
    Paul

Comment

This may be the only request I've ever seen for the BlackBerry. Also the BlackBerry platform is "typically" used in the business settings and not the home setting so it simply wouldn't be cost effective to develop a client for this handset.
      💁‍♂️ Support & Customer Service 🙋‍♂️ Sales Questions 🛒 Shop HomeSeer Products

Comment

If you are talking about a phone and not the tablet, I would recommend Wapseer or Rover. Both are good for controlling HS with the Blackberry.

Comment

I forgot about rover.. I have used rover since huntergreen came out with it and its a great functional solution
          Paul

Comment

BB phone ..

Rupp : I've seen a couple of people ask for it just not as a heading.. Most times they get sent to Rover or one of the other fine home brew interfaces. Kinda the answer I was expecting.. Bummer there is not WEB or JAVA Client ...

I saw that the Linux client was mentioned and I have to say I am disappointed in the Linux Client it is not a rewrite of the client like IOS or the android os it is basically the windows client mickey with Mono and other interpreters to get it to work under Linux. If it was a rewrite and a real Linux program it would be a lot easier to use on devices like the Chumby or POGO Plug and others...

Lastly, Yes , I believe that the BB phone is based on QNX ,, I'm sure I am going to take a beating this ,, But QNX , Android , Linux (and it's many subsets.) , Ultrix ... etc , are basically all subsets of Unix ??? Oh I think IOS falls here two.. One could think two ways about this ,, One , if you were to design a good working native Linux client , it should be easy to port two other devices like IOS or Android ,, Two why was the IOS Client not used to make the Linux port it seems to be the most sable ,, instead of Mickeying the windows client to work with Linux , were Linux and Windows are completely different like apples and potatoes...

Comment

Originally posted by dem5867 View Post
              BB phone ..
              I believe that the BB phone is based on QNX ,, I'm sure I am going to take a beating this ,, But QNX , Android , Linux (and it's many subsets.) , Ultrix ... etc , are basically all subsets of Unix ??? .
              QNX is not that similar. Other linux clients are kernel based, QNX is not. Accessing OS features is very different and plugin author would need to be a pro at using it. It has a lot of advantages and is very different all at the same time.

Also, RIM has just gone to QNX on the phone, historically they were not QNX based. The historic BB phone OS is completely unique and proprietary. Again, a pro at those programming skills is needed.
              Paul

Comment

Hi,

i have asked about this before also. I only carry a blackberry and the lack of HSTouch is very frustrating.
                HS3 Pro on Windows 8 64bit
                53 Z-wave nodes(46 devices, 7 remotes), 15 DS10a's, 10 ms16a's, 9 Oregon Sensors, W800, RFXCOMtrx433, Way2Call, 3 HSTouch Clients, 2xRussound CAS44, Global Cache GC100-12,10 Rollertrol blinds(+ zwave) ,3 Squeezebox Radios and 1 Squeezebox Boom,DMX Arduino via ethernet,Rain8Net,3x Echo Dot's

Check out my electronics blog here:
                https://www.facebook.com/RaptorsIrrationalInventions

Comment

Originally posted by pbibm View Post
                  QNX is not that similar. Other linux clients are kernel based, QNX is not. Accessing OS features is very different and plugin author would need to be a pro at using it. It has a lot of advantages and is very different all at the same time.
                  Wikipedia "QNX is a commercial Unix-like real-time operating system"

OSnews "Skipping the technical details on how this works, for now think of QNX as "just another OS." In fact, to users and developers, QNX looks like any other POSIX-compliant system, e.g. Linux or Solaris. The underlying architecture may be vastly different, but type ls at a prompt and you'll see the familiar /usr, /bin, /home, and /root directories."

Not being a C programmer , I did look at some of the code and way to deep for me ,, it appears that you do things directly with the OS , I guess that's why its called RTOS !!

To give credit with it is do,, both Wikipedia and OSnews in one way or the other state although POSIX-compliant it "is very different all at the same time. "

Kinda goes with what I was trying to say nicely , Is that the HS crew don't appear to want make real clients ,, It appears that if you can't take the windows client and some how mouse it to work under other OSs,, they appear not to want to take the time.. Were I would think that making a true Linux/Unix client should make it easier to port to other OSs since most other OSs are somewhat based around Linux/Unix ...

Also Maybe there should be a poll about how many want a client for there BB,, I think you may be surprised ,, There has been a lot of users that have asked for a Java or web based client , yet there seems to be no effort to get that done..

I guess if in the end they FIXED the linux client so it would run with out mono , Basically run as a native linux app. all would be happy, yet with them moving on to HS3 fat chanch of that happening ....

Comment

Originally posted by dem5867 View Post
                    Also Maybe there should be a poll about how many want a client for there BB,, I think you may be surprised ,, There has been a lot of users that have asked for a Java or web based client , yet there seems to be no effort to get that done..
                    I agree that real information is the best, and to that end I think a poll is a great idea and next step. I think you have to start with a new post. I would suggest asking which kind of BB people want a HS Touch client for, traditional BB and/or the new QNX version that just came out.

Paul
                    Paul

Comment

Originally posted by pbibm View Post
                      I agree that real information is the best, and to that end I think a poll is a great idea and next step. I think you have to start with a new post. I would suggest asking which kind of BB people want a HS Touch client for, traditional BB and/or the new QNX version that just came out.

Paul

The way I understand it is that only the PAD presently uses QNX ,, The QNX phones will not be on the market to sometime next year.. BOS 8... I've always heard that it was a nightmare to write app.s for BOS yet it appears that it is best to write app.s java based.. So again appears a java based client could be the way to go..

Funny how most of our desktops are windows base yet most embedded devices are some form of Linux/unix based sure there are a some windows CE / XPE and home brew systems yet as far as devices Phones , MP3 players , routers , lot of web devices like firewalls and such some form of linux is used as there operating system..

I would do a poll , presently I don't think it would do any good at this time I believe HS has basically stated that with the exception of important bug fixes they are working on HS3 , 1 would hope that they monitor this board and have some idea what users are looking for in HS3. Seems to me that it should be a java based front end that does flash because java appears to work well on any platform..

If I poll I guess I would do 2 polls.
                      1. To find out what users think the next client effort should be : redo the Linux client correctly as a native app. not using mono etc or design a : java , web base , webos or blackberry client.
                      2. Which Blackberry phone or pad,,would think there are more phones out there then pads.

Dave

Comment

Working...
                      X