Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

For ios devices and even others, I just suggest using ssh. It is less work to do than dealing with a vpn and the iSSH app works great. Of course, Apple causes your tunnel to drop after 10 minutes if you don't switch back to iSSH, but I consider it a good thing. If I am away and need to connect, it is never for more than a few minutes anyway. This makes sure the tunnel is closed even if I don't bother to do it manually.

Comment

i use iSSH on my ipad as a terminal shell client when i log into my linux servers and it rocks.. in fact it even has an X server on it which really kicks for when i need any GUI stuff.. but im not understandinfg how SSH can be used in an HSTouch environment... i definitely dont want to shell into my system and type commands while im driving thats for sure.. I have an in-dash double DIN PC for my Jeep ive never installed but may at some point but still dont want to try and drive and do more than just hit a button or 2 on screen..
      -Christopher
      PerfecTemp - the Most advanced HVAC system I've ever Built - and its in my House

Comment

Originally posted by Krumpy View Post
        I agree but unfortunately pptp vpn on the IOS devices does not auto connect. This is an issue for me also but I guess we can not do much about this.
        I too wish it would auto connect. I found a icon shortcut to my home screen to turn on the VPN a little faster, but it's still annoying that I can't force it, or at least force it for certain apps.
        Joe (zimmer62)

BLSecurtiy, AC-RF2, RCS Serial Thermostats, RFXCOM SMarthome SwitchLinc, mcsXap, Global Cache GC100, SqueezeBox, TWA_ONKYOINTEGRA, BLLogMonitor, BLPlugins, BLRadar, BLSpeech, BLZLog.aspx, HSTouch (Windows, iPhone, iPod), USB Mimo touchscreens, VMWare Server, Vortexbox, Windows Home Server, MyMovies, Windows Media Center, X10, ZWave, and much much much more.

Comment

Originally posted by cadillackid View Post
          i use iSSH on my ipad as a terminal shell client when i log into my linux servers and it rocks.. in fact it even has an X server on it which really kicks for when i need any GUI stuff.. but im not understandinfg how SSH can be used in an HSTouch environment... i definitely dont want to shell into my system and type commands while im driving thats for sure.. I have an in-dash double DIN PC for my Jeep ive never installed but may at some point but still dont want to try and drive and do more than just hit a button or 2 on screen..
          -Christopher
          I've not used iSSH, but you just setup a tunnel in putty. So, you would instead connect to localhost:hstouchport instead of your remote IP.

Again, that's how I would use putty...

--Dan
          Tasker, to a person who does Homeautomation...is like walking up to a Crack Treatment facility with a truck full of 3lb bags of crack. Then for each person that walks in and out smack them in the face with an open bag.

Comment

Originally posted by drozwood90 View Post
            I've not used iSSH, but you just setup a tunnel in putty. So, you would instead connect to localhost:hstouchport instead of your remote IP.

Again, that's how I would use putty...

--Dan
            Yes, correct. It is also the same way you would use iSSH.

In iSSH...
            -Go to edit a configuration
            -Select "Tunnels" under the "Terminal Settings"
            -Click "Add Tunnel"
            -Specify a local port (it can be different than the default HSTouch port if you want)
            -Specify the destination host as the local LAN ip address of your HS server
            -Specify the destination port where you are running HSTouch (10200 is the default to use if you haven't modified that somehow)

In HSTouch settings...
            -Edit the server entry where you want your SSH tunneled connection option to reside
            -Put "localhost" as the Address, without the quotes of course
            -Enter the port number you used in iSSH for the local port

To connect...
            -Open iSSH and select the tunnel configuration to connect to it
            -Enter your local certificate password, that hopefully you used when first creating the SSH certificate
            -You should now see the screen connect to your SSH tunnel/server
            -Go back to the home screen on your IOS device
            -Launch HSTouch and select your SSH tunneled connection option (whichever server entry you put it on 1, 2, or 3)

This doesn't cover the steps to set up the initial SSH connection with your SSH server/router and iSSH, but I assume you got that part.

Comment

The Juniper Pulse VPN solution is supposed to auto connect. But now someone needs to tell me how I can implement that on the cheap side of things. Not willing to buy a $10,000 Juniper concentrator.
              HomeSeer 2, HomeSeer 3, Allonis myServer, Amazon Alexa Dots, ELK M1G, ISY 994i, HomeKit, BlueIris, and 6 "4k" Cameras using NVR, and integration between all of these systems. Home Automation since 1980.

Comment

wonder if this works on a juniper netscreen.. I have a few of those laying around.. never figured they had a use any more.. but maybe they do..
                -Christopher
                PerfecTemp - the Most advanced HVAC system I've ever Built - and its in my House

Comment

Working...
                X