User input with text box

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• User input with text box

How do you populate a virtual device using a text box - to accept user input? I'm wanting to input a future date and time for "just in time" heating of an indoor swimming pool (rather than maintaining the heat constantly at 80+ deg). Seems like this should be simple, but the HST Designer "HST Help" has nothing on some of the element properties of text boxes. In particular, I'm not certain what the "EnterisChange" and "IgnoreChange" signify under Misc heading of element properties. And I'm also unsure about actions ( whether to use "ActionsWhenReleased" or "ActionsWhenTextChanged", or both) and whether status tracking would be useful in this instance. Any help is much appreciated

Easiest way is to use a button next to the box, the button then passes the data from the text box into a script (see actionswhenpressed > run a homeseer script with values from elements). The script then sets the device string on the virtual device. Next to the box you could put a label status tracked to this virtual device that showed the updated values, so yes status tracking could be of use.

Not sure personally if I was inputting a date and time I would go for a text box though, there might be validation issues and whilst it might be the easiest may not be the most user friendly. Consideration might be whether a group of pre-populated list boxes could be more useful - then the user picks the time from a list rather than having to type it.
    My Plugins:

Pushover 3P | DoorBird 3P | Current Cost 3P | Velleman K8055 3P | LAMetric 3P | Garadget 3P | Hive 3P |
    Yeelight 3P | Nanoleaf 3P

Comment

Thanks for that bit of clear thinking. I should be able run with it.

Comment

Not sure if this helps you or not, but http://forums.homeseer.com/showthread.php?t=150110 shows how I input times into a script and has a script on the page. Could do something similar...
        My Plugins:

Pushover 3P | DoorBird 3P | Current Cost 3P | Velleman K8055 3P | LAMetric 3P | Garadget 3P | Hive 3P |
        Yeelight 3P | Nanoleaf 3P

Comment

i am using HS Touch Designer. can a Text Box --or any other Element--be used so a user entry in the HS Touch app would directly update the value of the virtual device. my research indicates that will not work; ie that a button needs to execute script that will update the Value (or Status Text) of the virtual device.

Comment

btw, has anyone been able to use the DROP LIST or LIST BOX elements in HS Touch, so that it can be linked to a device via StatusTrackingNormal. I am able to populate the List_Labels and List_Values properties, but it does not allow me to select a device for StatusTrackingNormal

Comment

Working...
            X