This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

User input with text box

How do you populate a virtual device using a text box - to accept user input? I'm wanting to input a future date and time for "just in time" heating of an indoor swimming pool (rather than maintaining the heat constantly at 80+ deg). Seems like this should be simple, but the HST Designer "HST Help" has nothing on some of the element properties of text boxes. In particular, I'm not certain what the "EnterisChange" and "IgnoreChange" signify under Misc heading of element properties. And I'm also unsure about actions ( whether to use "ActionsWhenReleased" or "ActionsWhenTextChanged", or both) and whether status tracking would be useful in this instance. Any help is much appreciated

Easiest way is to use a button next to the box, the button then passes the data from the text box into a script (see actionswhenpressed > run a homeseer script with values from elements). The script then sets the device string on the virtual device. Next to the box you could put a label status tracked to this virtual device that showed the updated values, so yes status tracking could be of use.

Not sure personally if I was inputting a date and time I would go for a text box though, there might be validation issues and whilst it might be the easiest may not be the most user friendly. Consideration might be whether a group of pre-populated list boxes could be more useful - then the user picks the time from a list rather than having to type it.

Comment

Thanks for that bit of clear thinking. I should be able run with it.

Comment

Not sure if this helps you or not, but http://forums.homeseer.com/showthread.php?t=150110 shows how I input times into a script and has a script on the page. Could do something similar...

Comment

i am using HS Touch Designer. can a Text Box --or any other Element--be used so a user entry in the HS Touch app would directly update the value of the virtual device. my research indicates that will not work; ie that a button needs to execute script that will update the Value (or Status Text) of the virtual device.

Comment

btw, has anyone been able to use the DROP LIST or LIST BOX elements in HS Touch, so that it can be linked to a device via StatusTrackingNormal. I am able to populate the List_Labels and List_Values properties, but it does not allow me to select a device for StatusTrackingNormal

Comment

Originally posted by Heychristian View Post
              btw, has anyone been able to use the DROP LIST or LIST BOX elements in HS Touch, so that it can be linked to a device via StatusTrackingNormal. I am able to populate the List_Labels and List_Values properties, but it does not allow me to select a device for StatusTrackingNormal
              I have the same issue in the element associations dialog box because the instruction text is on top of the input parameters so nothing is available behind it.. The instructions are preventing access and need to be moved down.
              Click image for larger version

Name:	HStouch over text.png
Views:	350
Size:	16.8 KB
ID:	1392786

Comment

i was able to circumvent the windowless popup of blue instructions. i recall i clicked in the small area (that shows an "N") . then press F4 key to display the list. then SHIFT-TAB to move to the next field and F4 key to display that list. if that doesn't work, let me know and i'll fire up HS Touch this afternoon

Comment

Originally posted by Heychristian View Post
                  i was able to circumvent the windowless popup of blue instructions. i recall i clicked in the small area (that shows an "N") . then press F4 key to display the list. then SHIFT-TAB to move to the next field and F4 key to display that list. if that doesn't work, let me know and i'll fire up HS Touch this afternoon
                  After I did find (desperate to finish) that I could tab and arrow around just select underneath the instructions or tab as you say. The F4 key is now a remarkable thing as you pointed out and I forgot about.
                  I can put my fonts and screen sizes back in order now which I originally thought was something on my side.
                  Thank you for taking the time to help.
                  Best regards'

Comment

you're welcome

Comment

On Android, did anyone manage to send text form a text box to a script/device without the use of a separate button? (yes this does work)

IE: entering text, pressing ENTER (or DONE?) and getting "actionswhentextchange" to trigger ?

I've tried every logical combination, including "useonscreeninputpanel", etc. etc.
                      Nothing does it. See my properties below.

When I press the text box, Android pops a keyboard with "done" instead of "enter", I enter text, press "done", keyboard switches to another one with "enter", press "enter", nothing....

Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture.PNG
Views:	354
Size:	315.9 KB
ID:	1401696

Comment

just a wild guess--maybe avoid using a "!" exclamation point in the name of your parameter. maybe it's not related, but i have had issues with HomeSeer and "!" --such as it not being a valid password character when using an iOS device to connect MyHS service.

Comment

Heychristian ; thanks for the suggestion but still doesn't work;

Comment

Working...
                          X