Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Humbly suggesting a new thread called "modern graphics" for HSTouch.

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Humbly suggesting a new thread called "modern graphics" for HSTouch.

Hello

Myself and couple of professionals (graphic designers, HTML Developers) would like to introduce to you the new project/initiative of designing professional graphics for HSTouch (icons, background, general graphics) for dynamic context of HSTouch screens, we are all, home automation huge advocates and HomeSeer enthusiasts.

My first objective and obstacle at the same time is to provide the dynamic content for the user interface hopefully HSTouch, if not, we will try, this is the more ambitious part of the project to develop an idea how to solve some of the problems and I'm referring here to the dynamic content only - by building and designing web-based interface.

I don't know, if this is even possible, but I was always hopping for HSTouch to constantly/dynamically changing the Home Screen background with (video loop...maybe) base upon the weather, time (day vs night) or condition (home vs away) etc.with screens fade in and out. I will not say much for now, because we want to first try it and see if it works.

My second objective is to keep designing graphics, backgrounds and icons for HSTouch.I would like to give you a quick update about ongoing graphic part of the project.We are entering the phase of finishing 8 sets of backgrounds, graphics and icons suitable both for smartphones and tablets/computer screens etc.I hope to design graphics suitable for most platforms i.e., iOS, Android and Windows

To keep the project affordable as much as possible, we decided to design ourselves general graphics/photos and/or video loops like weather and multimedia, for example, and any other needed stuff so no one has to buy any stock photos, (unfortunately this is a very time consuming part)

Any feedback is welcome.Specifically if you have any requests with respect to the icon symbols, background and general graphics that you would like to see and use, please let me know.

Click image for larger version

Name:	main buttons.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	54.5 KB
ID:	1205914

Name:	status.jpg
Size:	55.0 KB
ID:	1205915

Name:	backgrounds iphone.JPG
Size:	20.1 KB
ID:	1205916

Working Demo for iphone
    Attached Files

Comment

Weather samples ...hope you like it.
      Attached Files

Comment

WOW !
        Im very impressed, i have always wanted HSTouch to do the above things you mentioned!

the graphics look very good and i look foward to hearing more about this!

Comment

Nice, I like the two tones the best ... I very much like the minimalistic look

Comment

I love the look of these. Are you planning on having icons for Home Theatre (i.e. movies and such)?

Comment

Looks great. I'm just starting out myself with HSTouch and have found it frustrating to find icons / buttons for say home Security such as Alarm Status icons for "Armed Away" or "Armed Stay" so please don't forget a home security set as well...

On your second screen you have an. "irrigation" icon that looks more like a shower head. What if you change that to something that looks more like a sprinkler popping out of the ground with lines of water that arc from the center to the outside edges...

I wish HS would hire a graphics design team and seriously increase the quality and quantity of themes and elements. Being new to HSTouch my first impression was a huge disappointment in the quality and amount of buttons, sliders, completed themes etc etc. I now have a huge amount of effort trying to hunt down or create my own. They really need to offer element or theme enhancement packs etc.

Also, the majority of what I'm seeing thus far seems to be focused on screens that would run on a wall mounted / imbedded computer. Unfortunately for the most of us that would be too expensive to start with. Most of us own a Smart Phone we walk around with or place on the nightstand next to our bed. My first goal is to get a working iPhone interface up and running for the family first. Then move to an iPad or Android based tablet that I can then wall mount. I've seen some pretty inexpensive Android based tables for allot less than a wall mounted computer. Upside on this approach is you have a built in Batter Backup. With a computer you would need to add a UPS. You also have all the features these seem to include such as microphone, camera, Wifi... You can also pull them off the wall if you have the right mount.

Again, looks great!

Comment

Looks great and bump

Just a note to say this looks good, see if you have any updates and bump for interest. I stumbled upon a blog of a designer that had a lot of great free icon sets and now I can't "re-find" them. Aaargh.

Comment

While I'm not a huge fan of the text labels with the same color as the icons, they look pretty good.. I did graphic design for a while, and opening the homeseer assets makes me want to gag. I ended up creating all of my own icons.. For the amount of money you spend for these products, it's a bit shameful

IMHO, HS Designer/Touch needs to either be complete rebuilt from the ground up, or dropped for some sort of web version. I hate having to redesign my layout for each device I own as none of them have the same resolution.

Don't even get me started on the lack of zoom button on HS Designer or the fact that fonts (even though installed on my device) don't show up correctly.
                  I'm at the point where everything I design is in Illustrator and all my homeseer buttons are 100% transparent.

Comment

Originally posted by askme View Post
                    Just a note to say this looks good, see if you have any updates and bump for interest. I stumbled upon a blog of a designer that had a lot of great free icon sets and now I can't "re-find" them. Aaargh.
                    Another person from Delaware, what are the odds ? lol

Comment

Any chance of sharing the icons as a zip? Finding decent, cleanly styled images which have an on/off difference and having all the icons for home control seems impossible

Comment

I'd love to use these myself if they're available. Would donate to a PayPal address for your troubles, depending on how you want to handle that piece.

Thanks!

Comment

If you have a Mac available, you could use a program called Crunch to extract graphics from iOS apps. A lot of Home Automation apps/clients are free.

Comment

Think this thread and the OP have long been gone and forgotten.
                            Rather than wait for vapourware like this has been, I looked into setting up my own icons/pics.
                            While there are plenty of pics out there, getting all devices that you want in a consistent style is damn near impossible, or they cost. I decided I wanted a semi-metro style with tiles, making everything simple as possible.

Download a SVG editor such as inkscape, and a normal paint program like paint.net
                            Go somewhere like flaticon.com and download all the svgs you want.

I wanted a white icon set with a transparent background, so that selecting them gave feedback using the colours in the element, then I didn't have to have 2 pictures per icon (one pressed, one not).
                            Create the icon with around 200x200 pixels, save with the correct colour as a separate png in inkscape.
                            Use paint.net to remove the background and set the correct size you'd like, or leave as 200x200 as you can scale within designer.

Just waiting for the android app to get fixed, as having different screens leads to elements randomly disappearing, then I can use the damn thing like I need it

Comment

I found this site to have a pretty good selections of icons and a lot can be used for home automation with a little imagination.

2000 Windows 8 style icons

http://icons8.com/preview/windows-8-icons/

Comment

Working...
                              X