This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

HSTouch Windows RT

Thought I would share this, although this might not be for everyone's liking.

I recently picked up a Surface RT for $170. I really like the tablet as a potential front-end interface. It has a kickstand, great screen, you can watch plex, Netflix, etc. It fits in really well just sitting on a countertop, dresser, etc. The big issue is HST is not supporting a Windows 8 app.

First, please vote if you would like a Windows 8 app - if anything HST should drop support for the CE HSTouch client and devote a little time to being on one more platform. This would benefit anyone who wants to launch HSTouch from Metro.

Second, my workaround...hack job. I use VMWare ESXi to host some virtual machines on a shared box. I setup a new HSTouch Win XP VM with a minimal amount of CPU, memory, disk space, etc. to host HSTouch. I think Remote Desktop from the Surface RT table to the Win XP VM to control the interface. It actually works fairly well, but certainly not perfect. Issues include:

Screen refreshs when you change HsTouch pages are slightly laggy/blend in over a second or so.
    When you press the windows start button when connected to a RDP server, it opens the start menu on the RDP server rather than taking you back to Metro in the tablet client. You have to first go back to the Remote Desktop home page of the Metro app on the tablet.
    To setup multiple instances of HSTouch properly you a separate VM for each client. Alternatively, you can hack XP to allow multiple concurrent RDP sessions but then you don't really get individual control of HsTouch. You may also be able to run multiple accounts on the VM with the RDP hack but I haven't tried this yet and if memory serves, multi-user on XP seems to start hogging resources.

Other than that, it looks fantastic and does not seem to use much resources.

Comments welcome.

Here I tested HSTouch on W7 and first gen W8 (I didn't like metro but accepted it).

It worked fine for my using an Intel Atom based capacitance touch table tablet with only 512Mb of ram. I only tested the XP HSTouch set ups I had.

Back a few years ago also set up HSTouch RDP clients on an underpowered arm CPU running base x windows in linux talking to a windows RDP server. It worked fine with the the ARM debian based OS which was a bit underpowered and using one IP for multiple RDP HSTouch clients.

I still also have a "do all" CE touchscreen in wall tablet that does just fine; although its a bit slow these days. It doesn't do well with CCTV stuff; but works fine for stills. I didn't know that HST was still supporting the CE wintel clients. They just worked for me with no issues.

I like the idea of detaching or the ability to run HSTouch on another box. Right now running up to 15 clients and 10 are wintel. HSTouch server issues cause HS to hiccup.

Today I am using a sort of customized embedded very light (initially running on only 2Gb) XP HSTouch client. This includes use of speaker dot exe and multiple speech fonts in addition to HSTouch for wintel running.

This set up should work fine using RT with some tweaking.

I would actually prefer this wintel tabletop tablet over an android tabletop tablet.

But this is my opinion only as a tight base ubuntu HSTouch touchscreen tablet still runs more efficiently with just the pure guts of HSTouch running on it with no fluff. I can stream live TV and live HD feeds on my wintel / ubunutu little Atom based capacitance touchscreens just fine.
    Last edited by Pete; December 8, 2013, 11:11 AM.
    - Pete

Auto mator
    Homeseer 3 Pro - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e 64 bit Intel Haswell CPU 16Gb
    Homeseer Zee2 (Lite) - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e - CherryTrail x5-Z8350 BeeLink 4Gb BT3 Pro
    HS4 Lite - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenovo Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram

HS4 Pro - V4.1.18.1 - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenova Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram
    HSTouch on Intel tabletop tablets (Jogglers) - Asus AIO - Windows 11

X10, UPB, Zigbee, ZWave and Wifi MQTT automation-Tasmota-Espurna. OmniPro 2, Russound zoned audio, Alexa, Cheaper RFID, W800 and Home Assistant

Comment

Originally posted by Pete View Post
      .... This set up should work fine using RT with some tweaking....
      It is my understanding that any Windows executable destined for RT must be re-compiled for ARM, and 'signed' by Microsoft.

Read more here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows_RT

Excerpts from that page:
      Software compatibility
      Due to the different platform of ARM-based devices, Windows RT contains limitations in regards to software compatibility. Although the operating system still provides the traditional Windows desktop environment alongside Windows 8's touch-oriented shell, the only desktop applications officially supported by Windows RT are those that come with the operating system itself; such as File Explorer, Internet Explorer, and Office RT. Only Windows Store apps (obtained from Windows Store or sideloaded in enterprise environments) can be installed by users on Windows RT devices. Developers cannot port desktop applications to run on Windows RT, since Microsoft developers felt that they would not be properly optimized for the platform. As a consequence, Windows RT also does not support "new-experience enabled" web browsers; a special class of app used on Windows 8 that allows web browsers to bundle variants that can run in the Metro shell and integrate with other apps, but still use Win32 code like desktop programs.
      "Jailbreak" exploit
      In January 2013, a privilege escalation exploit was discovered in the Windows kernel that can allow unsigned code to run under Windows RT; the exploit involved the use of a remote debugging tool (provided by Microsoft to debug WinRT apps on Windows RT devices) to execute code which changes the signing level stored in RAM to allow unsigned code to execute (by default, it is set to a level that only allows code signed by Microsoft to execute). Alongside his explanation of the exploit, the developer also included a personal appeal to Microsoft urging them to remove the restrictions on Windows RT devices, contending that their decision was not for technical reasons, and that the devices would be more valuable if this functionality were available. In a statement, a Microsoft spokesperson applauded the effort, indicating that the exploit does not pose a security threat because it requires administrative access to the device, advanced techniques, and would still require programs to be re-compiled for ARM. However, Microsoft has still indicated that the exploit would be patched in a future update.

A batch file-based tool soon surfaced on XDA Developers to assist users in the process of performing the exploit, and a variety of ported desktop applications began to emerge, such as the emulator Bochs, PuTTY, and TightVNC.
      Best regards,
      -Mark-

If you're not out on the edge, you're taking up too much room!
      Interested in 3D maps? Check out my company site: Solid Terrain Modeling

Comment

It is my understanding that any Windows executable destined for RT must be re-compiled for ARM, and 'signed' by Microsoft.
        Yup; relating to Arm CPUs it was just an x windows on debian setup with RDP to a terminal server. Worked fine for the Chumby and the Seagate Dockstar with a Mimo monitor.

Relating to Windows 8.X HSTouch was tested on an Atom/Intel based tabletop touchscreen with a modded bios and worked fine.

Thinking the one that is on sale right now is the the original Windows RT/Surface pro tablet is currently an Armv7. The new one is running on an Intel Core i5. Dell's Venue runs RT via Intel and a 32bit cpu.

Microsoft Surface is a series of tablets designed and marketed by Microsoft. Announced on June 18, 2012 by CEO Steve Ballmer at a Los Angeles event in Milk Studios, Surface was the first major initiative by Microsoft to integrate its Windows operating system with its own hardware. The Surface debuted in two models, marketed as Surface RT and Surface Pro. Surface RT uses an ARM (ARMv7) CPU running Windows RT whereas Surface Pro utilizes an Intel Ivy Bridge CPU running Windows 8. Sales did not meet Microsoft's expectations, which led to price reductions and other sales incentives.
        The successors, Surface 2 and Surface Pro 2 were released on October 22, 2013.
        http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Microsoft_Surface

Thinking I posted some pictures of it running W8 a while ago.

Last edited by Pete; December 8, 2013, 04:54 PM.
        - Pete

Auto mator
        Homeseer 3 Pro - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e 64 bit Intel Haswell CPU 16Gb
        Homeseer Zee2 (Lite) - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e - CherryTrail x5-Z8350 BeeLink 4Gb BT3 Pro
        HS4 Lite - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenovo Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram

HS4 Pro - V4.1.18.1 - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenova Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram
        HSTouch on Intel tabletop tablets (Jogglers) - Asus AIO - Windows 11

X10, UPB, Zigbee, ZWave and Wifi MQTT automation-Tasmota-Espurna. OmniPro 2, Russound zoned audio, Alexa, Cheaper RFID, W800 and Home Assistant

Comment

Originally posted by heatvent View Post
          ...First, please vote if you would like a Windows 8 app - if anything HST should drop support for the CE HSTouch client and devote a little time to being on one more platform.
          Support for my HST-IW07 WinCE touchscreens better *NOT* be dropped! I spent a lot of money on these for my system and they run 100%, unlike the HST-IWAR7 Android in-wall touchscreens I foolishly bought. I would be very upset if Rich and co. dropped support for the WinCE touchscreens!

However, I do agree that if Microsoft continues to sell RT that HSTouch should be ported at some point.

FWIW
          Steve

(System configuration is in my profile)

Comment

Working...
          X