X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

screen locations - WAF ?

Greetings,

i'm in the process of playing around with several different tablets and other interfaces for HSTouch/Homeseer.

in thinking about where i would want to mount them, it peaked my interest in where do you have them mounted? has any location boosted the WAF? hindered the WAF?

i've talked to my wife, and while on a WAF scale of 1-10, i think i'm hovering around a 4.

she has a recliner that is 'her spot' in the living room, i was tempted to table-top position one of the tablets there. around the top of the stairs for the kids to use, and a larger tablet perhaps in the kitchen in-wall mounted.

Always trying to break HS Touch here.

I have multiple tabletop touch screen tablets today everywhere more to test than anything else such that there are 3 in the master bedroom and three in the family room plus one or two in every other room. Except for maybe 1-2 they are all POE network wired.

Regular tablets just are wherever.

WAF is OK these days; there is much patience with me.
    - Pete

Auto mator
    Homeseer 3 Pro - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e 64 bit Intel Haswell CPU 16Gb
    Homeseer Zee2 (Lite) - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e - CherryTrail x5-Z8350 BeeLink 4Gb BT3 Pro
    HS4 Lite - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenovo Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram

HS4 Pro - V4.1.18.1 - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenova Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram
    HSTouch on Intel tabletop tablets (Jogglers) - Asus AIO - Windows 11

X10, UPB, Zigbee, ZWave and Wifi MQTT automation-Tasmota-Espurna. OmniPro 2, Russound zoned audio, Alexa, Cheaper RFID, W800 and Home Assistant

Comment

holy crap...

thats quite a selection of devices! has givin me some things to think about tho.

thanks

Comment

The in-wall HAI Omnitouch 5.7 legacy / Omnitouch 5.7e / HSTouch typically are off (LCDs) unless you touch them. (IE: one is master bedroom next to the light switches).

I do have an issue (well I haven't addressed it yet) where as all of the tabletop LCDs go on if they are off with Homeseer TTS messages.

The HAI touchscreens all go on when turning on or off the alarm. I do also have CCTV on these today using the legacy HAI Omnitouch video hub plus Zoneminder plus a Grandstream SD Encoder.

Mostly the WAF is related to how complex or simple the screens are. She does like and use the Omnitouch screens mostly related to the simplicity and doesn't like mine as much because of the number of buttons I sometimes place on a screen. They are small such that I am trying to keep them simple. Nightstand ones just have a big clock with a couple of buttons and a short weather paragraph with temps in and out of the house type stuff (well and lighting buttons and radio buttons).
        - Pete

Auto mator
        Homeseer 3 Pro - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e 64 bit Intel Haswell CPU 16Gb
        Homeseer Zee2 (Lite) - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e - CherryTrail x5-Z8350 BeeLink 4Gb BT3 Pro
        HS4 Lite - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenovo Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram

HS4 Pro - V4.1.18.1 - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenova Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram
        HSTouch on Intel tabletop tablets (Jogglers) - Asus AIO - Windows 11

X10, UPB, Zigbee, ZWave and Wifi MQTT automation-Tasmota-Espurna. OmniPro 2, Russound zoned audio, Alexa, Cheaper RFID, W800 and Home Assistant

Comment

I have

3 wall mounted Android tablets, back door, master bed door, and master bath

Kitchen has a 22" HP Touchsmart PC and an IPod Touch on a wall dock

Living Room has a 10" Mimo on a custom swivel mount between main chairs

Gameroom has a Slot Machine with a Windows Touchscreen in it and a Jukebox Wallbox client also

Whole house video is a HTPC that runs a client also (all TV's can show HSTouch)

3 touch laptops with clients installed (2 kids and mine)

2 Iphones (wife and daughter)

2 Android phones (son and myself)

1 Android tablet (floats around house)

1 Ipad (wife's baby)

Plus a few old things (testing stuff mainly)

I would say the my wife uses the bathroom tablet and the living room swivel the most, all our media control is thru HSTouch so no remotes anywhere, and our phones get used constantly as remotes. The slot machine client is mainly used to start other touch friendly games, she uses it alot (Bejeweled and others).

The thing is all these get used for different purposes so alot depends on what you have each client setup to do, phones do it all, as do wall clients, the TV client just displays music info and security stuff, kids change their own designs, slot machine is mostly games and music control, wallbox does everything. I think I had 19 clients running at once testing them all but very rarely will they all be on at the same time.

Back to the WAF, if it isn't obvious mine won't use it, to many options and she loses interest or is timid about it. The video cameras in HSTouch and weather radar are used by her alot and of coarse lighting. Almost forgot, I have gumball machine that dispenses dog treats with a webcam on it, it is controlled with HSTouch on her phone, that she shows off to everyone and the dogs go nuts when it goes off.

At first I tried to make every client do everything, which I did, and found out that it was to much. Now I have different clients do only what they need to do for their intended purpose, it makes each client more appliance like, or unique I guess. Way to much free time as I read this back!

John

Comment

I have one by the main door that gets almost no use. The bedside tables get used very little as well. The one that gets the main use is mounted in the kitchen in the main thoroughfare.

I have the screen cycle through the weather, google calendar with quick button presses to get to HVAC and lighting. The weather and calendar are the biggest draws to the 'hub'. The TTS that plays through it is a big bonus as well.
            HS4Pro on a Raspberry Pi4
            54 Z-Wave Nodes / 21 Zigbee Devices / 108 Events / 767 Devices
            Plugins: Z-Wave / Zigbee Plus / EasyTrigger / AK Weather / OMNI

HSTouch Clients: 1 Android

Comment

One in the lounge, one on the bedside table...the latter probably gets used the most unsurprisingly when I wake up and go to bed. I use the bedside table one also as an alarm clock and play an alarm clock sound through the speakers when it is time to get up.

Comment

Working...
              X