This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How does HSTouch Sound work?

My HSTouch understanding is that sound (e.g. speaking) from Homeseer (HS2) goes to the HST plug-in where it is converted to a .wav file and transmitted via Ethernet to the remote clients where it is then played as a .wav sound bite.

If true, I'm having trouble with this process, in that I am getting no .wav files at the client. All other client updates work fine, so I assume it is not a port problem. Sound at the server works fine.

My question is, is there any way to determine if the plug-in is in fact creating the .wav file? Also, is there any documentation on the server debug information. I turned it on, and I can't make much sense from it?

Thanks
    Gary

Windows 8.1 (HS2 & HST Client)
    HS2 Pro 2.5.0.81
    HST Server 1.0.0.60
    HST Client 1.0.0.72
    Last edited by Kbevo; February 25, 2015, 12:54 PM.

It should generate a file that I am sure used to pop up in the HS directory but where it was and what it was called escapes me right at the minute. What client is this on? The Linux client does not support it really for a start.

If you are able to post any entries from the log at the time you send a speech command may be able to at least make out what it is trying to do.

Comment

Originally posted by mrhappy View Post
      If you are able to post any entries from the log at the time you send a speech command may be able to at least make out what it is trying to do.
      As requested, see attached. Test command sent via keypad. The spoken command, can be heard from the server, but neither of the two clients receive the command (i.e. no .wav files in HST directory and no sound from speakers.) One of the clients, also has the speaker.exe app and it does not sound either. From what I can see in the debug, there is nothing that jumps out as even dealing specifically with the speech command. (??)

Help gratefully appreciated.

Thanks
      Gary
      Attached Files

Comment

Yep I agree nothing in there that looks particularly helpful, in your HS2 setup page at the bottom of one of the pages you should have a 'Default clients to speak to, comma seperated list' box, do you have any text in this box?

Comment

...in your HS2 setup page at the bottom of one of the pages you should have a 'Default clients to speak to, comma seperated list' box, do you have any text in this box?
          No.

<TABLE cellSpacing=1 cellPadding=0 width="100%" border=0> <TBODY> <TR> <TD class=tableroweven colSpan=4 noWrap align=left>Speaker Client network port (8737 and 8739 cannot be used): </TD> <TD class=tableroweven colSpan=2 noWrap align=left><INPUT class=formtext size=6 value=8742 name=ttsPort> </TD></TR> <TR> <TD class=tablerowodd colSpan=4 align=left>Default Comma Separated Host:Instance List for Speak Commands (Leaving Blank = All Clients):
          Example: HomeSeerefault, Kitchen:*, Bedroomaytime </TD> <TD class=tablerowodd colSpan=2 noWrap align=left><INPUT class=formtext size=40 name=DefaultSpeakerClients> </TD></TR> <TR> <TD class=tableroweven colSpan=6 noWrap align=left> <HR noShade> </TD></TR> <TR> <TD class=tableroweven colSpan=6 noWrap align=left>Host : Instance</TD></TR> <TR> <TD class=tablerowodd colSpan=6 noWrap align=left>LIAN39G (192.168.1.95) : DEFAULT</TD></TR> <TR> <TD class=tableroweven colSpan=6 noWrap align=left>LIAN34G (127.0.0.1) : DEFAULT</TD></TR> <TR> <TD class=tablerowodd colSpan=6 noWrap align=left>LIAN39G (HSTouch) : LIAN39G</TD></TR> <TR> <TD class=tableroweven colSpan=6 noWrap align=left>MSSur17G (HSTouch) : MSSur17G</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

Other than recent testing (which didn't change this sound issue), I have never entered anything in the text box, as I direct all server sound to all clients. In the past that has worked fine, on my old XP box and in some configurations on this server. If you have a specific recommendation, I will give it a shot.

With this thread, I was hoping there was some HST debugging resource I didn't know about. Over the past couple weeks I have searched this BB for hints at my problem and haven't seen much that comes close. Therefore I suspect it is something in my Server config but with the limited troubleshooting resources that I know of, I am at a loss what to do next.

Thanks
          Gary
          Last edited by Kbevo; February 25, 2015, 02:55 PM.

Comment

There was an issue with this box at some point in time which led to some odd HS behaviour and it was documented somewhere. I wonder if the speech is not even getting to the plugin, have you tried putting in LIAN39G:* in this box and then seeing if it speaks to the LIAN39Gefault (speaker client) and the LIAN39G:LIAN39G HSTouch client like it should?

Comment

There was an issue with this box at some point in time which led to some odd HS behaviour and it was documented somewhere.
              Yes, I saw some of those and tested with many.

I wonder if the speech is not even getting to the plugin,...
              Good question, while I have server sound, and the server local speaker.exe does speak (I also get the speech bubble), I have no indication that HST is participating in the speech in any way.

... have you tried putting in LIAN39G:* in this box and then seeing if it speaks to the LIAN39Gefault (speaker client) and the LIAN39G:LIAN39G HSTouch client like it should?
              Well I did test with several HOST:Instance combinations in the text box, but none with the asterisk, so I tried it (no joy).

<TABLE cellSpacing=1 cellPadding=0 width="100%" border=0> <TBODY> <TR> <TD class=tableheader colSpan=6 noWrap align=center>Speaker Clients</TD></TR> <TR> <TD class=tableroweven colSpan=4 noWrap align=left>Speaker Client network port (8737 and 8739 cannot be used): </TD> <TD class=tableroweven colSpan=2 noWrap align=left><INPUT class=formtext size=6 value=8742 name=ttsPort> </TD></TR> <TR> <TD class=tablerowodd colSpan=4 align=left>Default Comma Separated Host:Instance List for Speak Commands (Leaving Blank = All Clients):
              Example: HomeSeerefault, Kitchen:*, Bedroomaytime </TD> <TD class=tablerowodd colSpan=2 noWrap align=left><INPUT class=formtext size=40 value=LIAN39G:* name=DefaultSpeakerClients> </TD></TR> <TR> <TD class=tableroweven colSpan=6 noWrap align=left> <HR noShade> </TD></TR> <TR> <TD class=tableroweven colSpan=6 noWrap align=left>Host : Instance</TD></TR> <TR> <TD class=tablerowodd colSpan=6 noWrap align=left>LIAN39G (192.168.1.95) : DEFAULT</TD></TR> <TR> <TD class=tableroweven colSpan=6 noWrap align=left>LIAN34G (127.0.0.1) : DEFAULT</TD></TR> <TR> <TD class=tablerowodd colSpan=6 noWrap align=left>LIAN39G (HSTouch) : LIAN39G</TD></TR> <TR> <TD class=tableroweven colSpan=6 noWrap align=left>MSSur17G (HSTouch) : MSSur17G</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

I also restarted HS2 and tested again after the restart. I have attached the HST debug, for what its worth. (??)

Thanks
              Gary
              Attached Files

Comment

I am struggling, it does look like things have changed though because you are now getting these entries;

Code:
                2/25/2015 01:42:16 PM ~!~HSTouch Server Debug~!~01:42:16:2976 ~ Client command: (LIAN39G:LIAN39G) NULL
                and

Code:
                2/25/2015 01:42:20 PM ~!~HSTouch Server Debug~!~01:42:20:6904 ~ Client command: (MSSur17G:MSSur17G) NULL
                Both of these look TTS-ish but I am guessing that 'NULL' is not passing any speech. The TTS you are sending looks specific

Code:
                2/25/2015 01:42:15 PM ~!~TTS~!~Speak: (LIAN34G:DEFAULT):B1 On, As you command Master
                So I would not expect the HSTouch clients to get speech, have you tried changing LIAN34GEFAULT to *:* or LIAN39G:* - from looking at that it appears set up just to send to the speaker client at that address.

Comment

I am struggling, it does look like things have changed though because you are now getting these entries;...
                  Yes, those have always been there, when speaking is done. They are what prompted this thread. I can assume they are telling me the speech is not being sent, but what causes that condition??

I tried the *.* (no joy). I don't think that text box modifies this behavior in any way. Leaving it blank is a valid configuration if you want speech to go to all clients and has always worked for me in the past. (See http://board.homeseer.com/showthread.php?t=173053 for more history.)

Others seem to have HS2 HST working on Win 8.1-64 with no sound issues, neither at the server nor the client. This leaves me with troubleshooting this issue at the server and I am struggling to find helpful tools and/or documentation. I was hoping someone who, perhaps has seen this or something similar would have some suggestions.

Thanks
                  Gary

Comment

I meant in whatever event you are sending the 'B1 On, As you command Master' text you appear to be sending LIAN34GEFAULT to it so it will only speak to that client rather than looking elsewhere (disregarding what is in the setup page). I can't remember the HS2 box right at the minute but you could take that out and see where the speech goes, leaving it at *:* (or nothing) should send it everywhere. Failing that try with some script commands like hs.speak("This is a test") I think sends it everywhere...

Comment

I Failing that try with some script commands like hs.speak("This is a test") I think sends it everywhere...
                      As it stands now the text box is back to blank (speech everywhere). I tested this event:
                      <TABLE cellSpacing=1 cellPadding=0 width="100%" border=1> <TBODY> <TR> <TD colSpan=4 align=center>Action List <TR> <TD colSpan=4 align=right><INPUT class=graphicbutton alt="Execute this event now" src="/images/HomeSeer/button_test.gif" type=image value=0 name=action_test_event> </TD></TR></TD></TR> <FORM method=post name=actionform autocomplete="off"><INPUT type=hidden value=actn5997 name=ref_page> <TR> <TD><INPUT class=graphicbutton alt=Down src="/images/HomeSeer/thread_priority_down.gif" type=image value=1 name=action_down> </TD> <TD colSpan=2><INPUT type=hidden value=1 name=action_index><INPUT class=graphicbutton alt="Delete this Action" src="/images/HomeSeer/button_delete.gif" type=image value=1 name=action_delete> <INPUT class=graphicbutton alt="Edit this Action" src="/images/HomeSeer/button_edit.gif" type=image value=Edit name=action_edit> </TD> <TD> <TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="90%" border=0> <TBODY> <TR> <TD class=tablecellspeak width=160 noWrap align=right>Speak in background:</TD> <TD class=tablecellspeak align=left>B1 On, As you command Master</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></TD></TR><INPUT type=hidden value=actn5997 name=ref_page></FORM> <FORM method=post name=actionform autocomplete="off"><INPUT type=hidden value=actn5997 name=ref_page> <TR> <TD><INPUT class=graphicbutton alt=Up src="/images/HomeSeer/thread_priority_up.gif" type=image value=2 name=action_up> </TD> <TD colSpan=2><INPUT type=hidden value=2 name=action_index><INPUT class=graphicbutton alt="Delete this Action" src="/images/HomeSeer/button_delete.gif" type=image value=2 name=action_delete> <INPUT class=graphicbutton alt="Edit this Action" src="/images/HomeSeer/button_edit.gif" type=image value=Edit name=action_edit> </TD> <TD> <TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="90%" border=0> <TBODY> <TR> <TD class=tablecelldevice width=160 noWrap align=right>Device Command:</TD> <TD class=tablecelldevice align=left>Office Testing - B1 On</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></TD></TR><INPUT type=hidden value=actn5997 name=ref_page></FORM></TBODY></TABLE> <FORM method=post autocomplete="off"> <INPUT type=hidden value=actn5997 name=ref_page>Add Action

I also have many different scripts that run regularly that have the hs.speak commands in them. And unfortunately they do the same. Sound at the server (with the bubble) that never gets to the client. Is this something like what you had in mind, or did you want to see the debug from these?

Thanks
                      Gary

</FORM>

Comment

It Worked!

I meant in whatever event you are sending the 'B1 On, As you command Master' text you appear to be sending LIAN34GEFAULT to it so it will only speak to that client rather than looking elsewhere (disregarding what is in the setup page).
                        I finally understood what you were talking about. It does seem to be disregarding (in ALL cases) what is configured on the setup page. I went in to the B1 on event and entered the HOST:Instance and got sound at both server and client. Which is good news!

However, this is a far departure from previous behavior. Does this mean that I have to change all my speak scripts to the format that includes the HOST:Instance, in my case *.*?

Thanks (much)
                        Gary

Comment

I'm glad you at least got something working! You might have to amend your events, I would wait for someone else to answer whether or not they had it working because I had to give up on HSTouch speaking long ago (I only really used Linux clients) but I remember it was leaving me very confused as to what was actually happening and where the speech was going.

Comment

I'm glad you at least got something working! You might have to amend your events, I would wait for someone else to answer whether or not they had it working because I had to give up on HSTouch speaking long ago (I only really used Linux clients) but I remember it was leaving me very confused as to what was actually happening and where the speech was going.
                            Well thanks for sticking with me, your thoughts got me there. The long form of the hs.speak command does work, whereas taking the default does not, so I guess I will start modifying all my scripts. Hopefully someone can provide a shortcut.

Thanks again
                            Gary

Comment

Working...
                            X