This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

HSTouch designer not tracking status

I have problem making a simple button tracking the status of a simple HS device.

The display of specific color and alternative text depending on the status of the device simply does not work. I'm talking about the setting immediately under the "Status/device associations" headline in the toolbox.

Otherwise the button works just the display is not there. Tried changing the attributes of the device from virtual to lamp module with status and few other types. Tried using various button designs. Nothing helps.

Anyone having similar problems and resolution ?

Thanks,
    RI2

I'm not having this issue and I use Status Colors and alternate text for several devices in my HSTouch projects.

Can you tell me a little more about the device you are trying to track? I'm guessing it is a virtual device you created. Is it just and on/off device or does its Value change? Or does just the Device String change?

Comment

Just figured it out

Just figured it out.

For some weird reasons HSTouch uses the string "On" and "Off" as an indicator for the status instead of using the numerical values 2 and 3 associated with On/Off status.
      If you do not understand what I'm talking about please go to any device and click on the tab "additional info".
      In my case I used the string for other purpose and the string field contained other than "On" or "Off" strings.

It worked as soon as I removed my custom strings and restored on and off strings.

RI2

Comment

It might work to use the device value - probably 0 / 100 - rather than 'device status' to track on/off status. That might allow you to maintain your custom strings.
        Mike____________________________________________________________ __________________
        HS3 Pro Edition 3.0.0.548, NUC i3

HW: Stargate | NX8e | CAV6.6 | Squeezebox | PCS | WGL 800RF | RFXCOM | Vantage Pro | Green-Eye | Edgeport/8 | Way2Call | Ecobee3 | EtherRain | Ubiquiti

Comment

Thanks

Dear Uncle Michael,

You are great as always. That's right value is always 0 when "off" and 100 when "on" for non-dimming devices. I wish you posted this 2 hours earlier. It would save me one hour work modifying my scripts. Will keep it in mind in the future.

Thanks again,

RI2

Comment

Sorry for my slow response.

Since my migration from HS2 to HS3 is on hold for another summer, and most of the discussion is centered on HS3, I'm visiting the board less frequently.
            Mike____________________________________________________________ __________________

HW: Stargate | NX8e | CAV6.6 | Squeezebox | PCS | WGL 800RF | RFXCOM | Vantage Pro | Green-Eye | Edgeport/8 | Way2Call | Ecobee3 | EtherRain | Ubiquiti

Comment

What in HS3 is worth the migration headaches

Uncle Michael,

On the subject of upgrade to HS3 I don't mind spending few hundred bugs on an upgrade to HS3 if the upgrade would be easy and seamless. It's anything but that from what I read. I have over 500 devices and over 500 events plus over 100 custom scripts. I'm not taking the risk. Meanwhile the tiny Windows NT box called HomeTroller is becoming a bottleneck. What is your opinion on migrating from HS2 to HS2 on another larger and more powerful computer. How easy or difficult the migration would be?

Comment

Originally posted by risquare View Post
                What is your opinion on migrating from HS2 to HS2 on another larger and more powerful computer. How easy or difficult the migration would be?
                Assuming that is not a typo, and you are considering moving HS2 to another box, I've done it several times, once because of a hardware failure. It's actually pretty easy, especially if you have the latest version of HS2.
                - Backup the HS2 folder.
                - Download and install HS2 and all required plug-ins on the new box.
                - Copy the HS2 backup folder over the new install.
                That should have you up and running. You will, still have some details to deal with, like moving serial connections to the new box and making sure you have the correct serial port numbers, for example.

Comment

Sounds great

This sounds great and encouraging.
                  I hope HS2 Pro is still available for download from HS web site.
                  Also current box is Windows NT embedded OS. Can I use any Windows box?
                  Can I go as high as Windows 8.1 ?

Comment

@UncleMichael

Migration went well to a new much more powerful machine with Windows 7.
                    Everything works, however the com ports get closed unexpectedly and randomly by something and of course this is a big problem. I'm using 11 com ports from com 2 all the way trough com 12. com 1, 2, 3 and 4 are hard wired while com 5 , 6, 7...12 are virtual. They all get affected randomly and unexpectedly. Any ideas how to fix it?
                    The new machine is ASUS with AMD CPU 8 GB of RAM and 1TB of HDD. I bought it new and it's dedicated to HS only. I'm not using it for anything else.

Comment

This may help. Go to device manager and look at all the USB devices and serial ports and so on. Go to the power management tab of each and uncheck "Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power."

Comment

Working...
                      X