Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Placing the IPAD in the wall... now how can i keep it ...

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Placing the IPAD in the wall... now how can i keep it ...

Hello all,

i will be purchasing ipad and simply using it spefically for HA touchscreen. I have HStouch on my other highend IPAD and it works great.

What i do notice is if there is no activity, it will turn screen off, and turn WIFI off. When you restart the app.. it has to reinitialize communication again with HS server.

Is there a way to have the ipad wifi always on?

Would like to simply turn on ipad, and automatically open up HStouch, is this possible.

Thanks,
    JOHN

Theres an iPhone app called Insomnia that will keep the wifi connection alive, there may be an iPad equivalent out there (or you can use it on the iPad, I don't know how it works), be careful on the battery use though...

I would like an app that kept the wifi alive when connected to a charger but I think i'm asking too much with that one...unless anyone else knows of one

Comment

Originally posted by mrhappy View Post
      Theres an iPhone app called Insomnia that will keep the wifi connection alive, there may be an iPad equivalent out there (or you can use it on the iPad, I don't know how it works), be careful on the battery use though...

I would like an app that kept the wifi alive when connected to a charger but I think i'm asking too much with that one...unless anyone else knows of one
      My plans would have the ipad constantly connected to power... never on battery.

Comment

Of course, configure it to not go into power management. There is an option (can't think of the exact name of the setting) where you tell it how many minutes to wait to go to sleep. Instead of 1,2,5,etc minutes, you can configured it to never.

I have several old IPhones in that configuration and just have HSTouch iterate through several pictures. So it also acts as a picture frame.

It would be nice if one could remotely power the screen on and off. I have done some searching and it appears that Apple doesn't give that level of control. Still investigating.
        HomeSeer 2, HomeSeer 3, Allonis myServer, Amazon Alexa Dots, ELK M1G, ISY 994i, HomeKit, BlueIris, and 6 "4k" Cameras using NVR, and integration between all of these systems. Home Automation since 1980.

Comment

Good thread - I have been toying with the idea of permanent or even semi-permanent wall mount for iPad as well.

vteccured - what are you going to go with for the wall-mount part?

Comment

Originally posted by Monk View Post
            Good thread - I have been toying with the idea of permanent or even semi-permanent wall mount for iPad as well.

vteccured - what are you going to go with for the wall-mount part?

Thats a good question...
            i was going to simply install a one outlet within the wall so i can simply have it pluged in constantly.

As for a mount, im still thinking of different ways where i can enclose the ipad into the wall and have it flush with the wall. I dont want to use any picture moldings, or sort of cover over the ipad.

JOHN

Comment

Take a look at http://www.iportmusic.com/products/cm

They do a similar mount for the ipod touch too.

Expensive but nicely constructed.
              Jon

Comment

I think the ones from Vidabox looks nice. And at 159 usd they are reasonably priced.

Comment

Update on my post above, if you have a jailbroken iPhone there is an app called (no prizes for coming up with the name) PluggedIn available on Cydia for a small fee. When you plug the phone in the charger it can launch an app of your choice, disable the auto lock and also disable the screen timeout (also has the option to end the program when taken off charge).

I have a DIY wall mounted charger that i'm now more happy with, when I place my iPhone on charge it launches HSTouch and connects. The timeout and auto lock are disabled so its on 24x7. Saves me having to launch HSTouch manually and saves on battery drain as before the auto lock/screen timeout where the same on battery or charging...

Comment

Originally posted by vteccured View Post
                    Thats a good question...

As for a mount, im still thinking of different ways where i can enclose the ipad into the wall and have it flush with the wall. I dont want to use any picture moldings, or sort of cover over the ipad.

JOHN
                    I'll be doing the same thing with a cheap android tablet. Here's what I'm planning to mount it with:

http://www.thepadtab.com/
                    HS Pro 3.0 | Linux Ubuntu 16.04 x64 virtualized under Proxmox (KVM)
                    Hardware: Z-NET - W800 Serial - Digi PortServer TS/8 and TS/16 serial to Ethernet - Insteon PLM - RFXCOM - X10 Wireless
                    Plugins: HSTouch iOS and Android, RFXCOM, BlueIris, BLLock, BLDSC, BLRF, Insteon PLM (MNSandler), Device History, Ecobee, BLRing, Kodi, UltraWeatherWU3
                    Second home: Zee S2 with Z-Wave, CT101 Z-Wave Thermostat, Aeotec Z-Wave microswitches, HSM200 occupancy sensor, Ecolink Z-Wave door sensors, STI Driveway Monitor interfaced to Zee S2 GPIO pins.

Comment

Seems to be a lot of options but I'm trying to figure out how to power it. Seems like there is only one POE from Vidabox ($399) seems high.

I suppose you could put a clock outlet (recessed) directly behind the mount. Any other suggestions?

Here is the best looking mount I've found for a decent price:
                      http://www.ipadwallbracket.com/sw/sw...fictype=Direct

Comment

Originally posted by doublejj0305 View Post
                        Seems to be a lot of options but I'm trying to figure out how to power it. Seems like there is only one POE from Vidabox ($399) seems high.

I suppose you could put a clock outlet (recessed) directly behind the mount. Any other suggestions?

Here is the best looking mount I've found for a decent price:
                        http://www.ipadwallbracket.com/sw/sw...fictype=Direct
                        this is the one i have been looking at.... it looks pretty durable and easy to take the ipad out of for cleaning and such.. plus also has a version with access to the home button... seems screen control would be possible by using the app that "wakes up" the ipad jailbroken in the background.. Jailbreaking a wall mounted pad doesnt bother me as you rarely would need to update the OS on a wall mounted tab and certainly not the day apple releases it so to me thats how i will go...

you could have your charger connected to an X-10 or insteon relay module.. which you could trigger a couple second power off and then a power on when someone walked by the screen or into the room thus lighting it up on demand...

as for leaving the backlight on, arent the iPADS LED backlit where number of hours of use is not a concern like original LCD displays?

I havent found a way to mount my viewsonic G-tablet but I think I'll just get a stand and make that tablet my nightstand Tab.. have one iPAD on the wall by the front door, a second one in a dock that I can pull out to use for the theatre remote.. and then the iPAD 2 will be my carry around to to the coffee shop iPAD (if i ever get it! and if they make a keyboard case for it like for my iPAD 1)...
                        -Christopher

-Christopher
                        PerfecTemp - the Most advanced HVAC system I've ever Built - and its in my House

Comment

Originally posted by reidfo View Post
                          I'll be doing the same thing with a cheap android tablet. Here's what I'm planning to mount it with:

http://www.thepadtab.com/
                          Thanks for the interest in PadTab; we've been very popular for the Home Automation Enthusiast. Coming from a home automation background myself this is one of the thoughts we had in mind.

We work with most of the popular tablets including the viewsonic G Tab, ipad, ipad 2, galaxy tab, Xoom, Archos and more.

I know some of you as well have multi tablet homes and that is where we are an even greater asset as you can use PadTab's for all your tablets and are WallTab's that are used to attach the tablets to will work with all the different tablets so they are interchangeable. We are the only Wall mount that is universal as the others typically cater to only iPad users.

Let me know if this helps or if you have any questions; I'd be happy to answer. We are featured at CEPro and many other reviews you can view directly from our site.

PadTab

Comment

I like the versatility of the padtab.. and the price too! although I tink id like something with a bezel around it so the iPad can appear to be flush mounted in the wall and the charging cable hidden.....

otherwise the padtab looks like a really great product.. esp if you just want to be able to easily remove and reinstall your tablet quickly.. or keep it out of harms way say to use while cooking in the kitchen or such....

-Christopher
                            PerfecTemp - the Most advanced HVAC system I've ever Built - and its in my House

Comment

I'm with you on wanting to hide the charging cable. The padtab looks great to use it in places where it won't be on all the time, but for my purposes, I really want it to be on anytime someone is in the same room.

Slide to unlock? So that I can turn on a light? Imagine the WAF on that idea.

So.... I was messing around with the cover sensor on the ipad2, and from the back side (meaning hidden) you can turn on the screen and unlock it with a magnet. I'm thinking along the lines of a PIR motion sensor that turns on an electromagnet for a second so that the ipad2 would wake up when someone is approaching it.
                              Joe (zimmer62)

BLSecurtiy, AC-RF2, RCS Serial Thermostats, RFXCOM SMarthome SwitchLinc, mcsXap, Global Cache GC100, SqueezeBox, TWA_ONKYOINTEGRA, BLLogMonitor, BLPlugins, BLRadar, BLSpeech, BLZLog.aspx, HSTouch (Windows, iPhone, iPod), USB Mimo touchscreens, VMWare Server, Vortexbox, Windows Home Server, MyMovies, Windows Media Center, X10, ZWave, and much much much more.

Comment

Working...
                              X