Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Vocal for Mac/iPhone 4S - Siri runs your Mac... and Homeseer?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Vocal for Mac/iPhone 4S - Siri runs your Mac... and Homeseer?

I did a double-take when I saw this this morning. The app is actually in the iTunes App Store. His website at http://mtrbts.me/vocal/#powerusers shows some interesting flexibility in how you can get the mac to do things. Now I'm wondering if this could be setup to control HS using straight HTTP commands... I bet it can..

Off to work now, but will be playing with this tonight!!

I use Siri via the SiriProxy hack to send commands to Homeseer. Pretty slick.

Comment

That's the first thing I saw weeks ago and would love to do. At a glance though, looked daunting for someone with little Linux experience. I can fire it up on a box here somewhere, but will I be over my head in the setup if I'm inexperienced with Linux? Or is there another way with Win/Mac? Loads of that around here...

Comment

Silly me, I guess my 'glance' earlier was too short. A quick search finds some guides like these. Quite a bit to them... Did you use one, if so, which?
        http://www.iphoneroots.com/2011/11/h...unlimited.html
        http://www.iphonestuffs4u.com/how-to...ll-siri-proxy/

Maybe I'll try one tomorrow on my day off...

Comment

setup is pretty straight forward. I have an Ubuntu VM setup and just followed the guide on github for the Ubuntu install. https://gist.github.com/1428474

Then I created a ruby gem passing http commands to HS via Rover. The only thing I have set up is device control and running events. Still trying to figure out how to capture data (i.e room temp, last motion, etc) and have Siri read it to me. I'm not familiar with Ruby so if anyone has experience in Ruby that would be helpful.

Comment

Care to share your gem? I'd like to look it over & learn a thing or two.

I got as far as having the test phrase succeed. I did it with a VirtualBox vm on my Mac, clean install etc. I couldn't get any plugins to work though, like the facebook one (always says I have nothing new there) or the siriproxy-computer one, which I was fairly sure would be the path to the straight http commands of Rover or similar. I'm apparently missing a step somewhere that passes the command from the vm to the mac..... or something like that

I went as far as offloading this to my Acer netbook on a clean ubuntu install tonight, since the vm was making my older Mac terribly for anything else. I'm not sure I can even get the http commands out of siriproxy to anything there either though (I'm a linux noob). Still pondering stuff...
            Last edited by dhayner; December 27, 2011, 10:15 PM.

Comment

I just got siri proxy setup and I'd love to look at that GEM and work on trying to get data back from homeseer. Like "What is the thermostat set to?" or "is the garage shut?"
              Joe (zimmer62)

BLSecurtiy, AC-RF2, RCS Serial Thermostats, RFXCOM SMarthome SwitchLinc, mcsXap, Global Cache GC100, SqueezeBox, TWA_ONKYOINTEGRA, BLLogMonitor, BLPlugins, BLRadar, BLSpeech, BLZLog.aspx, HSTouch (Windows, iPhone, iPod), USB Mimo touchscreens, VMWare Server, Vortexbox, Windows Home Server, MyMovies, Windows Media Center, X10, ZWave, and much much much more.

Comment

Messing around with Siri Proxy a bit more. I would like to see that GEM and help if possible. If not I'll probably be duplicating efforts, I really want to control my lights and it seems like it shouldn't be too hard.
                Joe (zimmer62)

BLSecurtiy, AC-RF2, RCS Serial Thermostats, RFXCOM SMarthome SwitchLinc, mcsXap, Global Cache GC100, SqueezeBox, TWA_ONKYOINTEGRA, BLLogMonitor, BLPlugins, BLRadar, BLSpeech, BLZLog.aspx, HSTouch (Windows, iPhone, iPod), USB Mimo touchscreens, VMWare Server, Vortexbox, Windows Home Server, MyMovies, Windows Media Center, X10, ZWave, and much much much more.

Comment

Vocal does it.. kinda

Just a quick note-

I got the Vocal mac app, and the iOS app. After mucking with SiriProxy for so long, I decided it was worth a few bucks to see if it did what I wanted in 5 minutes.

It does.

Not quite the way I wanted, but it gets the job done with essentially a couple more touches and some SIMPLE configuration. Can take a while to really set it up to do EVERYthing you might want it to, but it's quite capable.

Basically you'll get both apps installed. Instead of holding the home button to activate Siri, you open the Vocal app. (you could put this in the bottom 4 so it's always handy) Then speak the predefined phrase/action that you want, and ... presto, done. If it thinks it hears a command, you aren't having to push 'submit' or 'enter', nothing... it just accepts it.

By predefined, I mean that:
                  - I went to Rover.asp and copied the links to some device actions
                  - You go into the mac app & make 'bookmarks'/actions, containing the command phrase + the URL. Vocal triggers based on the command phrase, launches the URL, and thereby instantly affects the HS device.

Last step I'd like to figure out is getting the opened browser windows from this to close, or finding the right way to do this without actually opening them in the first place.

So it's not as 'smart' as Siri, but the time spent configuring it is at least not time spent scratching your head and surfing the interplanetary webs trying to get SiriProxy running at 100% (including plugins that add the extra functionality -- this is where I was stuck finally). At least I feel productive when I'm dropping in a bookmark/command here or there.

Comment

Siri Controlling Homeseer

I whipped this up this morning... Thought you would enjoy

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5durOpUgarw

Comment

Hi,
                      Did anyone get the gem or made one for them self?
                      I took a look at the source code for some of the other plugins, but could not understand how to trigger a URL and pass it to Rover.

Here is a list of some of the plugins: https://github.com/plamoni/SiriProxy/wiki/Plugins

Comment

Wow! Very cool!
                        Transitioning to HS3Pro .298 - WinXPEmbedded

Hometroller S3 Pro - WinXPEmbedded - HSP 2.5.0.81 - BLStat - HSPhone - HSTouch Srvr 1.0.0.73 - Touchpad - BLLan - BLOccupied - DSC Plug 2.0.0.14 - BLStat .38

Comment

Originally posted by dhayner View Post
                          Just a quick note-

I got the Vocal mac app, and the iOS app. After mucking with SiriProxy for so long, I decided it was worth a few bucks to see if it did what I wanted in 5 minutes.
                          I think this would be an easy and cheap start.. Will test it. Hope the Mac app could start an Applescript.. That would resolve the browser/tabs issue..
                          Unfortunately this requires my Mac to run which doesn't have HS.. (so running a 2nd computer). "Switch on Mac" Arrghh, chicken/egg ;-)

Let me know if anyone else got this working.. Right now I'm collecting a lot of information on using Siri (like) solutions to control Homeseer.

UPDATE: Arrgh! I overlooked the fact that Vocal requires an iPhone 4S..
                          QUOTE: ..."Using the dictation feature of the iPhone 4S, Vocal lets you dictate text and send commands right from your device."...
                          Last edited by DJF3; February 14, 2012, 04:58 PM.

Comment

I did not pay attention.
                            Bought Vocal in the iPhone 4 (yes, not the 4S!)
                            That does not offer speech recognition ;-(
                            So the requirement for this to work is to have an iPhone 4S with Siri (or other devices that have Siri working).

Comment

Originally posted by htrdlicn View Post
                              I whipped this up this morning... Thought you would enjoy

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5durOpUgarw
                              I have to ask: How do you control the drapes?
                              I'm looking for something just like that!
                              HSPro 3.0.0.458, Z-NET with Z-wave plugin 3.0.1.190, RFXCOM + 2x RFXtrx433E, HSTouch, Squeezebox plugin, iTach IP/WF2IR & GC-100-6 with UltraGCIR, BLDenon, NetcamStudio, Jon00s Webpage builder, Harmony Hub plugin, SCSIP (with FreePBX), Arduino plugin, IFTTT, Pushalot plugin, Device History plugin.
                              Running on Windows 10 (64) virtualized
                              on ESXi (Fujitsu Primergy TX150 S8).
                              WinSeer (for Win10) - TextSeer - FitbitSeer - HSPI_MoskusSample

Are you Norwegian (or Scandinavian) and getting started with HomeSeer? Read the "HomeSeer School"!

Comment

Working...
                              X