This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How to restore HSTouch project from iPhone/iDevice if project is lost

Thanks to mrhappy here's a way to restore your project from your iPhone/iDevice in case you have lost your project:

After doing something monumentally stupid (sending my laptop back for service, backing up all my HSTouch files into a big rar file, then leaving said rar file on the laptop forgetting to transfer it somewhere else, a laptop i'm probably now going to get replaced ) I was faced with trying to get my iPhone HSTouch project off the iPhone.

I thought I would post here as I have had moderate success and it may be of use to someone in the future.

1) Backup your iPhone in iTunes by right clicking on the side panel and clicking 'backup', it will probably take some time to do depending on what you have on your iPhone.

2) Navigate to "%appdata%\Apple Computer\MobileSync\Backup\", this should then show you a folder with a 40 odd digit string of numbers (some sort of unique backup/device ID). I would copy this directory straight to your desktop and work from this directory.

3) Even though there is not very much on my iPhone there were still over 5,000 files in the directory, this is every file on the phone including SMS, phone book, tasks, settings etc.

4) You will notice most of the files have .mddata or .mdinfo extensions, all the files have similar long character hex filenames and you will have a 0a137fa8dd385292d709cfe50c516260b1985d1a.mddata and another 0a137fa8dd385292d709cfe50c516260b1985d1a.mdinfo file.

The mdinfo file can be opened in notepad, the contents of which are mostly garbage but somewhere in the middle you will see "Documents/iSkin/Buttons/selectareaback-pressed.png" or similar which obviously looks like it has come from HSTouch. The XML file was the far easiest to find as in explorer I arranged all of the files by size and that was the largest (depending on what you have on your iPhone will obviously change that) and in the middle of it was "VDomain_Documents/min4.xmlS3.0_AppDomain-com.homeseer.HSTouch"

To resuscitate the files you need, simply rename the corresponding .mddata file to your choice of filename, so xx.mddata becomes min4.xml, open it up in notepad and you should find it resembles an XML file - then you can open it up in HSTouch.

This will be dependent on all the graphics files being recovered also, i'm still in the process of finding all of mine. It is however exactly the same process, rename the .mddata to .png or .gif and it should open up straight away.

Its a long-winded process, but far shorter than actually redoing the entire project and re-editing all of my image files. There are potentially other solutions out there involving jailbroken phones and accessing the root directory, I could not get this to work however.

Hopefully it also works on the iTouch, can't see why it won't.
    💁‍♂️ Support & Customer Service 🙋‍♂️ Sales Questions 🛒 Shop HomeSeer Products

thanks for the sticky rupp....I did write that some time ago so it would be nice if someone could confirm if it still works (considering the many iTunes and iOS upgrades). I don't really use the iPhone client anymore so have not tried it in a while. There may be easier ways of doing it now (perhaps if your phone is jailbroken) or indeed it might not work anymore.

Comment

First of all, you're a real 'Die Hard' Rupp!
      But can't you make use of backup extracters for all that work,
      like 'I backup viewer' or some freeware stuff found on google?
      I know i have made good use of such products in the past for restoring contact data.
      But it seems the versions that are now around can even list app data.
      Anyway good luck!

Comment

Were is this file located. I haven't been able to find it. Even with the search.

Comment

Originally posted by Rupp View Post

2) Navigate to "%appdata%\Apple Computer\MobileSync\Backup\", this should then show you a folder with a 40 odd digit string of numbers (some sort of unique backup/device ID). I would copy this directory straight to your desktop and work from this directory.
          Were is this file located? I can't seem to find it.

Comment

Is you IOS device Jailbroken?

If so then you can find you .xml file on the device. Example here is mine on my IPhone:

/var/mobile/Containers/Data/Application/B5AB6410-1DAE-4A99-97B3-75F277B2DF5E/Library/Caches/568x320-Portrait_Iphone_5.xml

The path varies on each device. The different part is the long alpha-numeric number after

var/mobile/Containers/Data/Application/

Not sure if you can browse this if the device is not jailbroken. Utilities like Funbox allow you to browse the IOS device.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by freeon View Post
              Were is this file located? I can't seem to find it.
              It is a directory rather than a file, paste that line into an explorer window and it should take you where you need to go. However in the period of this method iPhones have obviously become a bit more complex, my directory has 4,770 items in it and I wouldn't say I am a big iPhone user at all. Finding the file is not going to be great fun.

Comment

Originally posted by mrhappy View Post
                It is a directory rather than a file, paste that line into an explorer window and it should take you where you need to go. However in the period of this method iPhones have obviously become a bit more complex, my directory has 4,770 items in it and I wouldn't say I am a big iPhone user at all. Finding the file is not going to be great fun.
                Found it thanks. Your right that's a lot of items . I still have my project but for some reason all of the commands have disappeared so it's not like re doing the whole project. Just going true each button and re programming it. Some of the pages have same buttons so I can do copy paste. Probably easier option.

I don't understand why on my old phone HS touch still work great. I did a full backup from old phone and restored to new phone. All other app data transferred except HS touch.

Comment

Just a hint to make this a little easier. I used Notepad++ and used it's Edit....Search In Files function to search for "HSTouch" within all the files in the directory and subdirectories. Now trying to find an easy way to find the graphics

Comment

Ok so I think this is a workable way to find the graphics. A little easier than hunt and peck into files. On my IOS12 device the files weren't in one directory but a bunch of subs. So....

1) First go into the root of your backup and Search on *
                    2) This returns a list of every file in every subdirectory
                    3) Select all files and copy them into one directory
                    4) Open a command prompt and rename all of the files to .JPG or .GIF
                    5) Go back to Explorer, browse to this directory, and change to large thumbnail view
                    6) You should now see any image as an image and can scroll through to find your background, icons, etc...

Still a pain in the butt but way better than searching every file!

Comment

Working...
                    X