This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

REQ: New Windows CE client

The current client for Windows CE/Mobile version is just to heavy for this platform.
    I have the Albatron and few Windows Mobile devices.
    They will run HST fine but not usable.
    Building new screens is just to slow and will take some time.

My request is a new stand alone application for the Windows CE.

What do you think?
    Yes
    10.00%
    No
    90.00%

The poll is expired.

I understand your concern with the CE client, the .NET 2.0 framwork is a real resource hog and does hurt performance. I am finishing up with the iPhone/iPod Touch client and its amazing how fast the HSTouch client is on that platform! Apple has done an excellent job there.

I will be having another look at the CE client when I'm done with the iPhone one. What I would like to do is re-write the client using the native Windows API. This means no .NET. This would result in faster drawing and less memory usage. This is something I want to look at, but I do not know how much time it will take.

Keep this in mind with the current CE client:

1) Only the first access to a screen should be slower. After that, accessing the same screen again should be pretty quick.

2) Minimze the use of the graphics. If you created a client that only used colors and no graphics, it would be very fast. (I know, it would be pretty ugly)

3) Use the same background graphic for all screens. Graphics are cached, so the more you use the same graphic, the quicker drawing is.
    💁‍♂️ Support & Customer Service 🙋‍♂️ Sales Questions 🛒 Shop HomeSeer Products

Comment

@Rich,
      I hope that the Iphone client can replace all my remotes.
      Hope there is also camare support in the Iphone client.
      Can't wait to test this.

I agree with all your points about Wince..and have done that.
      New client for Wince will be great. There are lot of Wince device like the Albatron.

Thanks,
      Enver

Comment

I'll second this request, but I also have to wonder about the .net overhead, as there are plenty of good apps written in .net for the mobile... The performance of many .net apps are pretty good, with a few that are dogs, I haven't looked close enough to see what's dragging it down.
        Joe (zimmer62)

BLSecurtiy, AC-RF2, RCS Serial Thermostats, RFXCOM SMarthome SwitchLinc, mcsXap, Global Cache GC100, SqueezeBox, TWA_ONKYOINTEGRA, BLLogMonitor, BLPlugins, BLRadar, BLSpeech, BLZLog.aspx, HSTouch (Windows, iPhone, iPod), USB Mimo touchscreens, VMWare Server, Vortexbox, Windows Home Server, MyMovies, Windows Media Center, X10, ZWave, and much much much more.

Comment

One more thing that I would love to see in the CE client is the ability for HST to wake up the screen when it's in the screensaver mode.. (this works on XP but not on CE)

DJ

Comment

I would also like to see a more stable and faster ce client with better support for some of the features I know from the windows client. It's kinda frustrating that the difference is so noticable.

Comment

First, I'd like to thank Rich and crew for tackling this enormous project and making it all work!

After 'playing around' with HST on my HTC6800 (WM6.1) for a while I'd like to make a few observations and suggestions:

For me, I will not use the PPC client as a 'fixed' touch screen, but rather a quick way to get access to HS, look at status, maybe make a quick change or two and show it to friends. The current client takes about 20 seconds to start a 1 screen, mostly text project which kind of defeats the 'quick' requirement for me.

The client does not respect the 'Add Titlebar to screens' checkbox making it difficult to navigate off of the app.

The client can not be minimized. If you ask WM to show the 'Today' screen (ie; minimize all apps and show the desktop) the HST client is still on top and you can not get to your desktop - you must exit HST in order to access the Today screen. The result is that if the client is running, your device is only a HST touchscreen - if you want to do anything else you have to exit.

The 'Hide the mouse pointer' option is not applicable under WM.

There seems to be an issue with directory structures when deploying graphic files. The client will only display buttons, etc. when my phone is connected to the local LAN and can 'see' the server where the source HST files are located. Also, 'Root Dir' is not respected in 1.0.0.4. Always defaults to '\Program Files\HS Touch\Skins" and overwrites entry in registry. Deploy forces & downloads the designer dir structure to device under the 'root' but graphics are not found at runtime. (Helpdesk ticket opened for this.)

The client will not initiate a network connection if one is not present. WM apps such as IE, email, SMS, etc. all make this request to the OS, but HST does not.

Here are some of my suggestions for the PPC client:
              1) Change the usage paradigm from a fixed-function touchcreen to a quick-use touchscreen app.
              2) Allow the app to run minimized in the background for quick access (ie; respect 'title bar' checkbox.)
              3) Add support for changing between portrait and landscape display modes. This will also need to be implemented in the designer.
              4) Fix the directory structure deploy issues.
              5) Add support for multiple IP/Ports & make them selectable via the UI. WM devices will be used on carrier networks in addition to one's 'home' LAN. (Are FQDNs, rather than IPs, currently supported?)
              6) Try to connect when no network connection is present. Browser, email, etc. will attempt to connect to the cell network.
              7) Implement a 'Pull' rather than 'Push' deploy method. Remote WM devices may not be connected when deploying w/ the designer.
              8) Integrate the use of WM soft keys into HST.
              9) Implement navigation via h/w buttons (D-pad, wheel, etc.)
              Best regards,
              -Mark-

If you're not out on the edge, you're taking up too much room!
              Interested in 3D maps? Check out my company site: Solid Terrain Modeling

Comment

Working...
              X