This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

XP Client Issues

Not sure; but most likely never paid attention to notice this before; a couple of things. Using XP Client .61, Server .43 and Designer .57

I'm having issues with a sometimes working and sometimes not working per client command.

1 - sending a keypress from Homeseer to one client sometimes works and sometimes doesn't work. It works though if I send out a keypress command to all of the clients.

2 - I turned off the speaker dot exe on one client on my desk running .61. I have no audio configured via the HS setup page; yet I still get the wave file (not the TTS) over the speaker. I'm wondering if this is related to the .61 version.

3 - I create a status variable with two other status created variables (from hardware). The variable status doesn't change always showing the same status. My "work around" has been to script the variable; doing so provided updated status.

4 - lately seeing a TS lag of sorts. If I haven't touched a touch screen say in a day. It sometimes takes one or two touches to get it going. Once going; its quick and responsive. This isn't related to the hardware as I am seeing it on a variety of HW running HSTouch client for windows.
    - Pete

Auto mator
    Homeseer 3 Pro - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e 64 bit Intel Haswell CPU 16Gb
    Homeseer Zee2 (Lite) - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e - CherryTrail x5-Z8350 BeeLink 4Gb BT3 Pro
    HS4 Lite - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenovo Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram

HS4 Pro - V4.1.18.1 - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenova Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram
    HSTouch on Intel tabletop tablets (Jogglers) - Asus AIO - Windows 11

X10, UPB, Zigbee, ZWave and Wifi MQTT automation-Tasmota-Espurna. OmniPro 2, Russound zoned audio, Alexa, Cheaper RFID, W800 and Home Assistant

1) I've seen this when doing the action from a HS event once or twice, from the time I can remember what happened was that the client name dropped out of the event without any interaction from me.

2) Not seen this one, although I find the option on the HS webpage a little vague - the options in the web page are clients to speak to rather than clients not to speak to. In my case I have 'hsserver:*, joggler:Bedroom, Android:Android' in the box to speak to the main speaker.exe I have, one joggler and my droid phone - nothing else.

3) Yes, yes and more yes. Really really frustrating me at the moment, I am not sure whether it is my project, the OS, the hardware or what but its causing me a big headache. I have problems with elements (no matter image/text or whatever) failing to update when the page is not on the screen, if the screen is loaded and the element changes then they update correctly. I would've thought that some sort of refresh is done upon page load (or in the background) but it appears not.

4) Yep got that one aswell, sometimes leaves me thinking whether my keypress has registered so I press it again and end up jumping forward a screen because the keypress has then triggered on the unloaded screen.

Got to say I never used to have these problems but I do now (well past couple of months), I have three Linux clients running .57 and have just fired up an XP .57 client to see if that does anything differently. I might make a desktop video to show how its behaving...

Comment

Yup for number 2 if I define the client in the configuration then it does the TTS and Wav. If it is not defined then it does just the Wav. This is with version .61 of the client in XP (any XP and 2003 RDP client). Looks like it works for both the HSTouch client and the speaker dot exe client when you put the HSTouch client in the configuration.

Yeah it looks like its catching up with the keypresses. So if you touch it again; it seems to save it then it happens all at once. Although after a few touch screen presses the reponsiveness comes back.

I don't remember if .57 of the XP HSTouch client even did TTS anymore; its been a while since I have used it.

So far no comments from the Peanut gallery (wife) on the Joggler in the bedroom. She tends to start ignoring "Stuff" after a bit. If it starts to talk though in the middle of the night she might say something...
      - Pete

Auto mator
      Homeseer 3 Pro - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e 64 bit Intel Haswell CPU 16Gb
      Homeseer Zee2 (Lite) - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e - CherryTrail x5-Z8350 BeeLink 4Gb BT3 Pro

X10, UPB, Zigbee, ZWave and Wifi MQTT automation-Tasmota-Espurna. OmniPro 2, Russound zoned audio, Alexa, Cheaper RFID, W800 and Home Assistant

Comment

In a bid to show the world my problems (which may be linked to your point 3 Pete? If not I most repost this somewhere else) here they are;

Video #1 - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VpnizIjC1EM

A much simpler example, showing two clients one local and one Linux via VNC.

Opening is my heating screen open on the local client and it at the main screen on the linux client. Then I go into the Web GUI and then control the device that is status tracked to the switch under 'Heating' and turn it on. Would you believe it at 00:26s then it shows that on the open screen on the local client the status tracking works and the device is set to on.

Load the screen on the Linux client at 00:30s and you see the same element appears as off.

Video #2 - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dFNWwwU79lM

This video (perhaps a bit difficult to follow) shows the same project across two VNC windows of a windows client running on my HS PC, a Linux client running on an O2 Joggler and also a local client running on Vista.

I change a track on the Media Player at 00:20s via the HS PC and you can see all of the labels correctly update either on the screen (Joggler) or on the main screen (Local).

I change the album on the XP client at 01:00s and you can see the album art is correctly pushed to all of the clients and the labels on the main screen update as they should.

At 01:22s I go back to the media player screen on the remote Linux client and you can see that all of the data is old data, the cover art is the previous album, the track/album/artist name is all of the last tracks information. If I 'click' the label then all of the elements update - there is no element action on any of them.

At 01:50s I change the track on the linux client, you can see then that at 01:57s I go back into the media screen on the windows client and it is showing the previous tracks title (Eazy rather than Lightsonic)

I've not really touched the local client on Vista at this point so at 02:05s I load up its media screen and find all the art/data is from the previous album, again clicking on the elements updates the info.

Coming onto another screen at this time at 02:20s I load up a screen that contains various google charts running from a plugin, these should all be refreshed when the screen loads however if you look carefully then when I click or press them the graph forces an update and the charts move across as they are all cached from when I loaded up HSTouch (appx 15mins before the video). I then do exactly the same with the Windows XP client and would you believe it, the graphs are out of date.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

This is why HSTouch is practically useless for me (and I have contemplated of getting rid of it many a time), I can never truly believe that the information before me is actually correct and up to date.

The problem to me appears simple, there is no update of all of the elements either in the background or upon the loading of a screen and they are all cached from a previous screen load. If the screen is open and the device is changed then it correctly shows its current status. I have switched on debug mode and can confirm that the plugin is sending all of the status updates it needs to.

I am sure I never used to have this problem so it must be an issue with the later versions of the client. I can produce this on a wide variety of hardware so I doubt it is hardware dependent.

Any ideas would be most welcome (I have banged my head against the wall a number of times, it does not help).

Comment

Originally posted by Pete View Post
          Yup for number 2 if I define the client in the configuration then it does the TTS and Wav. If it is not defined then it does just the Wav. This is with version .61 of the client in XP (any XP and 2003 RDP client). Looks like it works for both the HSTouch client and the speaker dot exe client when you put the HSTouch client in the configuration.

Yeah it looks like its catching up with the keypresses. So if you touch it again; it seems to save it then it happens all at once. Although after a few touch screen presses the reponsiveness comes back.

I don't remember if .57 of the XP HSTouch client even did TTS anymore; its been a while since I have used it.

So far no comments from the Peanut gallery (wife) on the Joggler in the bedroom. She tends to start ignoring "Stuff" after a bit. If it starts to talk though in the middle of the night she might say something...
          Just the wav but no TTS? Interesting - not sure on that one??

.57 does TTS, I am sure TTS was in a release back in the .40's or the .30's so its been in a while...

The slowdown and catchup does not really trouble me (I thought it was the hardware, maybe not now) but it would be nice to fix or know what the problem is...perhaps some type of sleep timer going on somewhere?

Comment

Adam,

The two videos asked me to sign in. Once I sign in it tells me that:

This Video is private
            Sorry about that.
            - Pete

Auto mator

Comment

I always heard the Wav file but only remember hearing the TTS recently. Not sure which version though. It does create two distinct wav files; one being the wav and the other being the TTS wav.

As an alternative TS to HS I used to use Maestro; but as soon as I started to "play" updating the betas I started to have issues with Maestro. So while its still installed; I don't really use it much. I did test for a bit an automous music Maestro style that was a module for Maestro that sat just on the client. I had some issues with it though.
              - Pete

Auto mator

Comment

Adam,

The two videos asked me to sign in. Once I sign in it tells me that:
                Should work now sorry...forgot the difference between unlisted and private! Links should stay the same...

Comment

Yup watching them now. Hey where is the Quadraphonic sound? Very nice Screens Adam.
                  Are you defining the element variable in a script or are you using the off the shelf stuff?
                  I think you mentioned you were doing it all using scripts eh?

#1 Video "HSTouch Mismatch"
                  Comments - it appears the lags are a bit more pronounced on your stuff there. Thats me though and I did notice a different between Linux and XP before; but attributed it to my set up in Linux. If I go say to one screen; then another; then return to the first screen its normal speed; but the cache doesn't appear to be cleared; cuz I will see an old image before a new one. My RDP to the W2003 server was faster than my tested Linux (very simple and basic testing).
                  Is it faster in Vivo than via VNC?

#2 Video "HSTouch Confusion"

I had to watch this one more than once; a few times. I see this same phenomenon. Its most pronounced when I go to the security cams. I always see whats in the cache for a second or two then the actual video. Same thing with all of my weather radar pics. I wonder if there is some sort of script that can be run at the same time you push the element for another screen that clears the HSTouch cache.
                  - Pete

Auto mator

Comment

You can watch the cache in the temporary directory that's created on the Linux HSTouch client computer. Its probably first loading the old one; getting the new one then loading it. I bet if you delete it then you won't see that.
                    - Pete

Auto mator

Comment

You have me playing with VLC on one screen for my BBC audio. Its kind of a manual thing. One button plays the steam and the other button shuts it off. Nothing as nice as your setup. Only thing is that VLC stays on the front screen even though I am running it in quiet mode. The only way I can shut it off though is using the task kill command.
                      - Pete

Auto mator

Comment

Just played with the Joggler running XP on the nightstand. It is fast once going. I still see the cached video pictures before the actual ones. Not even close to your artistic talents there Adam; just functional.

Just thought of a way to do video. Create a 1/8 screen with playback / stop etc buttons and do an overlay of sorts with VLC video. Size the VLC video such that it occupies the top half or more of the screen with the separate buttons on the botton. Been looking for an easy way to play back security videos.
                        - Pete

Auto mator

Comment

Yup watching them now. Hey where is the Quadraphonic sound? Very nice Screens Adam.
                          Are you defining the element variable in a script or are you using the off the shelf stuff?
                          I think you mentioned you were doing it all using scripts eh?

#1 Video "HSTouch Mismatch"
                          Comments - it appears the lags are a bit more pronounced on your stuff there. Thats me though and I did notice a different between Linux and XP before; but attributed it to my set up in Linux. If I go say to one screen; then another; then return to the first screen its normal speed; but the cache doesn't appear to be cleared; cuz I will see an old image before a new one. My RDP to the W2003 server was faster than my tested Linux (very simple and basic testing).
                          Is it faster in Vivo than via VNC?

#2 Video "HSTouch Confusion"

I had to watch this one more than once; a few times. I see this same phenomenon. Its most pronounced when I go to the security cams. I always see whats in the cache for a second or two then the actual video. Same thing with all of my weather radar pics. I wonder if there is some sort of script that can be run at the same time you push the element for another screen that clears the HSTouch cache.
                          Thanks for the compliment Pete, can't take the credit for them really though - they are pretty much all from the Palm Pre GUI from here http://www.teehanlax.com/blog/palm-pre-gui-psd/ (some also from the droid GUI) and some editing in photoshop. I tend to like a bit of a standardised look so all the charts are Google charts etc.

All the elements are just standard HSTouch stuff - normal status tracking, I removed virtually all apart from about five script statements out of the entire project to prevent any issues - the remaining ones are unavoidable.

The video in video #1 does have more lag, its a windows client running on an XP PC and the only work I do on this PC is via VNC. As far as I can remember I turned off all of the hardware acceleration on the GFX card and set all of the windows setting to minimum so it probably runs far more slower than it should. I'm not sure what Vivo is, everything I do is via TightVNC and works pretty well...

It's reassuring to see that you see similar issues to me to at least show i'm not on my own, its frustrating for me and I am sure it was cadillackid that posted also about variables not updating and may be a similar issue.

Got to say I don't see anything in the cache folder on the XP client to even delete if I tried it.

I have just created a very simple project, two screens and two status tracked variables with one on each page and two buttons to move between the pages. If I update the device (turn it off/on) then it only changes on the currently shown screen and when I load the other screen the element is still in its old state. This project has nothing else in it whatsoever and is an XP client.

I'd really be interested in a fix from HST as I can easily replicate it across all sorts of hardware and clients, its one of the basic features of HSTouch and it don't work!!!

I've still got to try VLC or something similar when I get a moment - all sorts of half finished projects left to try and finish off first!

Comment

My first "smartphone PDA" was a Palm PDA with a phone module that attached to the top of it in the 1990's. No color; very simple; somewhat bulky. I remember sending it out to get more memory and the memory had to be soldered on.

Yes; alway have found the cache on the Linux client but never have seen it on the XP client. I guess with the XP client I am used to seeing the cached graphics / JPGs etc for a sec or so. Its kind of irritating with the security cams. If I bring up the initial view of all of the cams I get the view from the night before or earlier; then afterwards the live views.
                            - Pete

Auto mator

Comment

I just did a quick update on 9 Wintel clients. Tried to do them within 5 minutes or so.

The reason for the Client downgrade was that I brought up the 3 Jogglers in XPSP3 mode each with the V.61 TS clients. They all came up the same way with just "text" showing on the Main screen.

So decided to downgrade all of the clients to V.59 of the HSTouch clients. Same results with all 9 clients. (I've configured three more wintel clients with identical HW/TS's/CPU and software just to do a 24/7 test of HSTouch wintel version.)

Then decided to downgrade all of the clients to the release V.57. Main screens all came up just fine. I still hear the music wave part of the hourly chime on all of the Wintel clients and not the TTS part. I do not have them configured to play back any sounds via HS at this time.

I am curious now if something isn't configured correctly.

Answering my own question.

The clients were not configured correctly on the HS side. I've been playing around so much with the TTS/Wav thing I had added a mix and match of various client names (from testing the Chumby stuff).
                              Last edited by Pete; October 31, 2011, 03:22 PM.
                              - Pete

Auto mator

Comment

Working...
                              X