This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

HS2 as a Windows Service

I do not use Speech Recognition but it may be something that is added down the road. The machine is dedicated to running HS2. Do I want to make HS2 a Windows Service or do I want to use the Windows Startup folder?

What is the difference? What are the advantages of one over the other?

Thank you

Brian

I would recommend not running as a service as you stated many things do not work. If you want to use any of the music plugins these do not work when running as a service. Just ensure HS is set to automatically start when the PC restarts.
    💁‍♂️ Support & Customer Service 🙋‍♂️ Sales Questions 🛒 Shop HomeSeer Products

Comment

Brian-
      If your server box is just a server, not a PC for someone to use as well, then there really is no advantage performance, responsiveness or reliability wise. I tried it as a service for a few months about 3 years ago and ended up regretting it.

Some features like the HS thickclient log viewer don't work right (or not at all). And when you do have problems with your system your left wondering if its because its running as a service?

Are you running W7? There are a few things to work out to get HS started regularly

Paul
      Paul

Comment

Thank you....

Was not sure what was the best approach.

Brian

Comment

I am running W7. I do not user the Speech Recognition component. It is something that I need to learn more about as my HS2 machine is a dedicated backup server that is the basement. It has no speakers attached. Hence my confusion about how Speech Recognition would work in my environment.

I can just turn off Speech Recognition. However, if there you have found it to be very helpful then perhaps I should not be quite so fast.

Thoughts??

Brian

Comment

Brian

I don't use SR either. My box is a dedicated server in the basement as well. The tricky part about W7 is that the User Access Control (UAC) wants you to "approve" running the server HS app every time you reboot.

I've chosen the "turn UAC" off route and have a shortcut to homeseer in the startup folder.

Paul
            Paul

Comment

Paul,

I have taken your advise and turned off UAC. Everything seems to be working fine. Thanks for the advice.

Hopefully one day Microsoft will let users maintain the security provided with UAC while providing the ability to give an preapproved setting for common programs. However that is a topic for another forum.

Brian

Comment

Brian

There are some other techniques for dealing with this using task manager but I haven't tried them. You can try the search feature of the board to see what others have done. There are those that disable UAC, and those that want it.

My rationalization is that UAC is for users, and this box has no users, except for me doing admin work. No real interaction with the internet. I think UAC is working as designed, it would be nice if the "user" could check mark certain files as exception.s

One other thing I do is create a shortcut in my startup folder to this destination: C:\Windows\System32\rundll32.exe user32.dll, LockWorkStation

It will cause the workstation to lock the terminal (like Windows Key - L) as while windows is starting up so the system does not wait for the screensaver on first startup.

Paul
                Paul

Comment

Originally posted by pbibm View Post
                  One other thing I do is create a shortcut in my startup folder to this destination: C:\Windows\System32\rundll32.exe user32.dll, LockWorkStation

It will cause the workstation to lock the terminal (like Windows Key - L) as while windows is starting up so the system does not wait for the screensaver on first startup.

Paul
                  Wow - I'm always amazed at the tips from this community - great idea!
                  HS4Pro on a Raspberry Pi4
                  54 Z-Wave Nodes / 21 Zigbee Devices / 108 Events / 767 Devices
                  Plugins: Z-Wave / Zigbee Plus / EasyTrigger / AK Weather / OMNI

HSTouch Clients: 1 Android

Comment

Working...
                  X