Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

CM15A Plug-in Unable to open COM1 Port - Solved!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

CM15A Plug-in Unable to open COM1 Port - Solved!

I have downloaded CM15A Plug-in from my HomeSeer (ver. 2.5.0.23) Updater, got a message "downloaded successfully," re-started HS, and got a message "installation of update completed." However, in Interface column under Setup/Interfaces I only see "X10 CM11A/CM12U" for which COM port is showing 1 and Plug-In status is showing "Error Initializing." No mention of the CM15A that was supposed to have been installed. In the Log I see:

Plug-In - Initializing X10 Plug-in: X10 CM11A/CM12U On COM Port 1
    Plug-In - Initializing Plug-in: X10 CM11A/CM12U
    Error - Initializing X10 interface X10 CM11A/CM12U: Unable to open COM1
    Again, no mention of the CM15A, and no reason why it is unable to open COM1.

I know that my CM15A works because it communicates with my ActiveHomePro software and controls modules with no problem.

Please help. Thanks.

In the HomeSeer root directory do you have a file called HSPI_CM15A.dll (or close to it, you should have a HSPI_CM11A.dll file aswell)? If not theres a possibility it has not quite installed correctly, if it did then it should definately be in the interfaces page (it also shows in the HS log startup what plugins it finds).

Comment

Are you running HS as a service? If so the plugin most likely didn't install correctly.
      💁‍♂️ Support & Customer Service 🙋‍♂️ Sales Questions 🛒 Shop HomeSeer Products

Comment

CM15A Installation Issue

Thank you for your response.
        I do not see anything resembling HSPI_CM15A.dll in my HomeSeer 2 folder, so I suspect it did not get loaded properly. When starting, the log only shows finding and initializing CM11A, and says nothing about CM15A. So, how would one find out why it did not load properly, and how would one fix the problem?

Comment

Are you running HS as a service?

Comment

Originally posted by Rolin View Post
            Thank you for your response.
            I do not see anything resembling HSPI_CM15A.dll in my HomeSeer 2 folder, so I suspect it did not get loaded properly. When starting, the log only shows finding and initializing CM11A, and says nothing about CM15A. So, how would one find out why it did not load properly, and how would one fix the problem?
            Sometimes they do not extract correctly, if you look in the main HS directory you should have an Updates2 directory. Take a look in here see if there is an installer with the title resembling something to do with the CM15 and see if you can install it manually - that is if the CM15 has a windows installer which I don't know myself.

Comment

CM15A Installation Issue

Thanks guys for your response.
              Rupp, I suspect that I am not running HS as a service because my macors do "talk" properly (I understand that if running as a service text-to-speech feature would not work). Besides just loading the HomeSeer, I have not done anything special to have it run as a service. Other than, that I am not sure how I can tell if it is running as a service or not.

mrHappy, while HS was not running I uninsatalled, then installed the CM15A plugin using what you suggested: the setup application I found inside the folder: Program Files(x86)/HomeSeer 2/Updates2/CM15A X10USB1.0.0.6. Then I called the HS. Again no reference to CM15A in the log nor in the Setup/Interfaces tab. But CM11A is there. Could it be that the HS has found some kind of a "fixation" to CM11A which prevents the CM15A from being installed!?

FYI before I moved to my new Windows7 system, the HS was working fine using my TI103-RS232 (RS232-to-Powerline Carrier) serial interface, if that tells you anything. Unfortunately, my new computer has no serial interface, just USBs, so I had to use the CM15A. That's where the problem began.

Comment

How exactly are you loading this plugin?

Comment

Rupp, I open my HS Std Edition 2.5.0.23 and push NEXT after going to the Updater tab in the Explorer. When the list of plug-ins appears I check the "Install" box to the left of CM15A X10 USB. Under "Installed" column I see a Yes for CM11A but nothing for CM15A. After pushing NEXT twice I get to a window that says Status: Downloaded Successfully, You must restart HS. I then push Files/Exit in the Log display window to get out. Then I start the HS where in the Log window I see
                  Starting installation
                  Apply codes
                  Executing installation & waiting for it to finish
                  displayed. In the next window that appears, I choose "Repair HS Plug-in X10CM15A USB" push-button and then Finish. Then I check off the box on the next page that tells it to Activate Plug-in When HS Starts. Next window tells me that X10 CM15A USB has been successfully installed. I close that window and go to Set-up/Interfaces and see that CM15A is still absent.

I have also tried to install it by clicking on the Set-up file that I found in Program Files(x86)/HomeSeer 2/Updates2/CM15A X10USB1.0.0.6 as I explained in my previous reply to mrHappy.

As a side note, which may or may not be relevant, in the Log window I get a large number of Warnings for various events that say Event xyz has a duplicate voice recognition phrase to another and that its voice recognition phrase not active. These started to appear after I transferred my HS files to my new Windows 7 system, perhaps because something got duplicated (I guess?).
                  Thanks.

Comment

Pure USB to the "Homeseer" multiple connections personally have always left "ghost" USB connections for me at least. Doesn't matter which computer that I am using. I would start maybe by first cleaning up the old USB ghost configurations that remain; enabling the OS view of ghosted connections. Depending on how many devices you have connected to the box you will see a bunch. You will also probably need to do the reboot boot thing a few times without running HS until its cleaned up a bit.

Historically I have had issues with the CM11 / Insteon X10 "stealing" each others X10 serial ports. A different issue for sure but the common part is that only one X10 connection seemed to be allowed.

So for the time being try shutting down Homeseer first and have a look at your USB connections; and BTW also look at your serial connections (especially if you utilize USB to serial devices); those also will take a com port once and the registry will show that com port being utilized when in fact it is no longer active. (ghost com ports).

It could be that there is a leftover of something stating that it is using serial com port 1 and that's all it is. But you really ought to look at it first without running HS. You can also look at the advanced configuration of any USB to Serial device and change the serial com port to anything else not being utilized.
                    - Pete

Auto mator
                    Homeseer 3 Pro - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e 64 bit Intel Haswell CPU 16Gb
                    Homeseer Zee2 (Lite) - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e - CherryTrail x5-Z8350 BeeLink 4Gb BT3 Pro
                    HS4 Lite - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenovo Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram

HS4 Pro - V4.1.18.1 - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenova Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram
                    HSTouch on Intel tabletop tablets (Jogglers) - Asus AIO - Windows 11

X10, UPB, Zigbee, ZWave and Wifi MQTT automation-Tasmota-Espurna. OmniPro 2, Russound zoned audio, Alexa, Cheaper RFID, W800 and Home Assistant

Comment

Pete, thanks for your response. Here are my questions on your two suggestions:

1) "Cleaning my old USB ghost configurations." Under my Windows 7 Control Panel/Hardware & Sounds/Device Manger/ USB Controllers I see some two dozen Controllers. Is that where you have been going to clean up the "ghosts?" Right clicking on them gets me to:
                      a) Properties (No mention of HomeSeer or anything that appear to me to be related. Mostly developed by Microsoft)
                      b) Uninstall. Do you use this to clean up? But how do you know you are unistalling the right one?
                      c) Disable. Would you suggest using this?

2) "Looking at Advance options of any USB to Serial devices." Where do you find these? None of the controllers under Control Panel/Hardware & Sounds/Device Manger/ USB Controllers seem to be referring to "USB-to-Serial" or anything like that.

Thanks,

Rolin

Comment

Has anyone had an issue with installation of CM15A plug-in, and how did solve it?

Comment

Originally posted by Rolin View Post
                          Has anyone had an issue with installation of CM15A plug-in, and how did solve it?
                          It's really just plug n play. Do you have another pc to load a trial of HS on and plugin the device in to see if this works for you?

Comment

Practically, no. How about a complete uninstall and re-install from my CD (which is old).

Comment

I totally uninstalled the HS and re-installed it and that took care of the problem. But the problem I have now is that it talks but does not here me. Windows detects correctly that my mic is plugged into the from.

Comment

Working...
                              X