Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Duplex Outlets

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Duplex Outlets

    Has anyone ran across a preferably z-wave (I'm thinking of maybe integrating Insteon though)... anyways a z-wave duplex outlet where both outlets are controllable? Second anyone know if any new ones are coming out with USB ports?

    I've seen a Wifi duplex with USB ports (not sure I trust it and it's wifi so...nah). I've seen the Insteon outlets with dual control. But I have not seen any z-wave.

    I'm considering whether to buy more wall plugs or to replace the outlets completely at home.

  • #2
    Originally posted by Simplex Technology View Post
    Has anyone ran across a preferably z-wave (I'm thinking of maybe integrating Insteon though)... anyways a z-wave duplex outlet where both outlets are controllable? Second anyone know if any new ones are coming out with USB ports?

    I've seen a Wifi duplex with USB ports (not sure I trust it and it's wifi so...nah). I've seen the Insteon outlets with dual control. But I have not seen any z-wave.

    I'm considering whether to buy more wall plugs or to replace the outlets completely at home.
    John, the only one I know of is an external plug into the outlet type. https://www.amazon.com/Individually-...e+duplex&psc=1

    Comment


    • #3
      Yeah I've seen the "plugs". I was hoping for less "wall warts" throughout the house. Looks like I'll have to decide between z-wave or Insteon. Z-Wave would strengthen my mesh even more which is good but Insteon is a new toy...

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by Simplex Technology View Post
        Yeah I've seen the "plugs". I was hoping for less "wall warts" throughout the house. Looks like I'll have to decide between z-wave or Insteon. Z-Wave would strengthen my mesh even more which is good but Insteon is a new toy...
        I have used insteon in the past but I hated how it used up all the outlets and the PLM was always disconnecting. Back then the devices were limited and line noise was a nightmare.

        Comment


        • #5
          Yeah I've heard good/bad about Insteon and the line noise and I don't have the best lines as it is (old house). So I think Z-wave is the direction or I stay with the wall warts. This was prompted due to a couple of the wall plugs I use for power metering being unplugged the AC unit plugged directly in. I don't know why the kids do that, but they did... so I'm going to stop this.

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by Simplex Technology View Post
            Yeah I've heard good/bad about Insteon and the line noise and I don't have the best lines as it is (old house). So I think Z-wave is the direction or I stay with the wall warts. This was prompted due to a couple of the wall plugs I use for power metering being unplugged the AC unit plugged directly in. I don't know why the kids do that, but they did... so I'm going to stop this.
            I guess one other way is to put one of those z-wave mini dual switches behind a regular outlet and cut the jumpers between the two hots and the two neutrals so they become two separate controllable outlets.

            Comment


            • #7
              I would go Insteon first

              Comment


              • #8
                Anyone know of a z-wave outlet with power metering other than Enerwave? Seems they are the only one I can find.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by Simplex Technology View Post
                  I would go Insteon first
                  Just curious...why?
                  -Wade

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by cc4005 View Post

                    Just curious...why?
                    No in-line relay (z-wave, I know of Zigbee ones) will support a dual 15A load.


                    It seems the current best option out there for Z-Wave is the Enerwave outlet. The only thing is that it's a single controlled but I suppose it's better than nothing. Of course if the kids figure that one out then they will just unplug the bottom and plug into the top which will defeat the whole point.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      I also don't like relays for switches. But that's not an issue with the relay but with WAF. Unless I also replace the switch with a momentary switch then wife and kids don't like that the switch is UP but the light is OFF and the switch is DOWN and the LIGHT is ON and then they get confused and complain.... I don't get it. If the light is on flip the switch and it turns off and reverse who cares if the switch is up/down... but some do

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by Simplex Technology View Post
                        Anyone know of a z-wave outlet with power metering other than Enerwave? Seems they are the only one I can find.
                        I needed dual switched outlets in my back yard and ended up putting an Aeotec Dual Nano Switch behind the outlet. It is reliable and monitors energy. The only drawback is that it misses local control, but that could be a good thing for an exterior outlet or one you don't want easily defeated. The rest of my plug in power control modules were replaced by Enerwave duplex outlets, because they only needed one switched outlet.

                        Randy Prade
                        Aurora, CO
                        Prades.net

                        PHLocation - Pushover - EasyTrigger - UltraECM3 - Ultra1Wire3 - Arduino

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by Simplex Technology View Post
                          I also don't like relays for switches. But that's not an issue with the relay but with WAF. Unless I also replace the switch with a momentary switch then wife and kids don't like that the switch is UP but the light is OFF and the switch is DOWN and the LIGHT is ON and then they get confused and complain.... I don't get it. If the light is on flip the switch and it turns off and reverse who cares if the switch is up/down... but some do
                          You can reverse this with some z wave switch. Via parameter . You surely already know this


                          edit : oups i missread you post

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            I bought a GE zwave plus outlet. Now i that read the description, i should have bought the enerwave for the energy monitoring node

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by rprade View Post
                              I needed dual switched outlets in my back yard and ended up putting an Aeotec Dual Nano Switch behind the outlet. It is reliable and monitors energy. The only drawback is that it misses local control, but that could be a good thing for an exterior outlet or one you don't want easily defeated. The rest of my plug in power control modules were replaced by Enerwave duplex outlets, because they only needed one switched outlet.
                              Is the dual nano big? Can I cut the wires of my Kitchen fan and have control of it with the nano?
                              and I presume that if i turn off the switch manualy . Then... turn on or off the switch vis zwave wont do anything ...since the circuit is open?

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X