Need Help - New installation of Fortrezz MimoLite for Garage Door Control

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need Help - New installation of Fortrezz MimoLite for Garage Door Control

I've been using the GoControl GD00Z garage door controller for a year and then it stopped working. I tried various things (I worked with Nortek and Homeseer support as well) to get it going again but to no avail. Finally, I checked the output and when I tried to control it with HS, the circuit never shorted. I assume it's a bad relay or defective logic within the GD00Z.

I went ahead and ordered a MIMO Lite. I pulled jumper P5, then included the device into my HS system. I tested the control of it via HS and could hear the relay click. Good!

I installed the MIMO Lite near my garage door opener (GDO) and wired the NO and COM terminals in parallel with the wall mounted GDO switch - at the GDO. My GDO is a new Chamberlain B970 MyQ. I'm not using the MyQ aspect of it.

When I try to control the GDO via the MIMO Lite via HS, the relay clicks but the GDO does not open. Note that there are t translucent rubber arrow shaped buttons on the GDO. When I attempt to control the GDO via HS, after the relay clicks, the up arrow lights yellow for a second followed by the bottom arrow lighting for a second.

I removed the cover from the MIMO Lite to check my wiring - all good. I tried 2 other tests:
    1. Where I'd wired the MIMO Lite relay output to the GDO wall switch wiring up at the GDO, I shorted them together. GDO did NOT open. Arrow buttons flashed as in above.
    2. I disconnected the MIMO Lite relay output wires from the GDO altogether, then shorted the 2 wires coming from the GDO wall switch. Guess what? Nothing! I walked over to the GDO wall switch and hit it and viola! That works still.

So I'm a bit stuck here. Note too that I have messed with parameter 11 a number of times, setting it to 5, 6, 10 and 15 to try various latch times on the momentary configured relay - to no avail.

Any ideas?

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_0469 2.jpg Views:	1 Size:	158.3 KB ID:	1260358
    Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_0468.jpg Views:	1 Size:	118.6 KB ID:	1260359

Last edited by jbeletti; November 18th, 2018, 02:00 PM.

A lot of newer GDOs need a special switch to open/close it. Given that you shorted the contacts to the switch and it did not open indicates your GDO is one of those. Since the Mimolite just mimics a regular switch, it won't work with these types of GDOs.
    HS 3.0.0.548: 1965 Devices 1146 Events
    Z-Wave 3.0.1.262: 122 Nodes on one Z-Net

Comment

Originally posted by sparkman View Post
      A lot of newer GDOs need a special switch to open/close it. Given that you shorted the contacts to the switch and it did not open indicates your GDO is one of those. Since the Mimolite just mimics a regular switch, it won't work with these types of GDOs.
      I believe you are correct. I found this (below) in another HA forum. Maybe time to get another GoControl...
      Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2018-11-18 at 12.14.03 PM.png
Views:	77
Size:	573.8 KB
ID:	1260367

Comment

You may be able to get a second GDO switch that you can modify so that the Mimolite triggers it.
        HS 3.0.0.548: 1965 Devices 1146 Events
        Z-Wave 3.0.1.262: 122 Nodes on one Z-Net

Comment

You will need something like this. It is and adapter to allow a simple push button switch to control the opener.

https://overheaddoorpartsonline.com/...ntact-control/

Comment

Originally posted by sparkman View Post
            You may be able to get a second GDO switch that you can modify so that the Mimolite triggers it.
            This is an option I've been wondering about. Thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by drhtmal View Post
              You will need something like this. It is and adapter to allow a simple push button switch to control the opener.

https://overheaddoorpartsonline.com/...ntact-control/
              Cool - thanks for the idea. As this the item you mentioned is specifically for Genie (an Overhead Door company) opener, does anyone know if this item is proven to work with the security protocol of the Chamberlain/LiftMaster openers?

Comment

Originally posted by jbeletti View Post

Cool - thanks for the idea. As this the item you mentioned is specifically for Genie (an Overhead Door company) opener, does anyone know if this item is proven to work with the security protocol of the Chamberlain/LiftMaster openers?
                I only used the Overhead Door part as an example of what I needed. Perhaps you can check with Chamberlain/LiftMaster if they have a similar unit.

Comment

I checked with Chamberlin, they do not make a similar product to control the opener with a dry contact. they said the only supported way it to use a myQ.

Comment

Originally posted by drhtmal View Post
                    I checked with Chamberlin, they do not make a similar product to control the opener with a dry contact. they said the only supported way it to use a myQ.
                    Wow - thank you for making that call!

I am not going to use their MyQ subscription service, so it looks like my options are:
                    - Get my defective GoControl GD00Z repaired or replaced
                    - Hack a wireless remote that came with my GDO to add the MIMO Lite to the remote button on the PCB
                    - Hack a the current or a separate compatible wall switch for my GDO to add the MIMO Lite to the remote button on the PCB

Comment

nacman posted the solution that also worked for me: wire the GD00z to the back of the wall mounted switch, not to the GDO itself.

https://forums.homeseer.com/forum/li...e-door-install

Credit also goes to the person on this forum who suggested it to me some months ago (I don't recall who it was though).

Comment

Originally posted by KandB View Post
                        nacman posted the solution that also worked for me: wire the GD00z to the back of the wall mounted switch, not to the GDO itself.

https://forums.homeseer.com/forum/li...e-door-install

Credit also goes to the person on this forum who suggested it to me some months ago (I don't recall who it was though).
                        Thanks for sharing what worked for you. By wiring the GD00Z back to the wall switch vs the GDO directly, I assume that meant wiring it in parallel with the wall pushbutton internally and not the wires that connect the wall switch to the GDO.

To follow-up on my solution - I learned that "at this time", Chamberlain is not charging users to simply operate their GDO via their app/server - so I can use their app. Also, the 3rd party MyQ plug-in sold by HS "does" work, so I use that for various automations (it connects to my MyQ account).

In practice, depending on the use-case at the moment, I operate my Chamberlain (w/ MyQ) GDO via:
                        - Homelink (in the vehicles)
                        - Wireless controller (came with GDO)
                        - Wired wall-switch (came with GDO)
                        - MyQ app
                        - HS Touch app
                        - Various HS event automations to check for the door open at specific times and close it

Comment

Working...
                        X