Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Do you use MiLight, LimitlessLED, EasyBulb etc?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Do you use MiLight, LimitlessLED, EasyBulb etc?

So it seems there is now no homeseer plugin for milight / limitlessled / easybulb etc - in active development.
    The last two i've used were by Jon00 and Rien du Pre, Jon was quite open about stopping work as the additional protocols needed for each product was not manageable , and Rien i think is just too busy to pick it up, no one has heard from him on this topic for quite a while.

I have lot of milight stuff about the house, as do friends who have taken recommendations and followed me into homeseer as well as other peripherals. It would be quite the investment to replace all the controllers and hubs with something else, not to mention a horrible waste of perfectly good hardware. This is just a software problem.

I guess this post has two aims - to see how many users there are for a milight / homeseer hookup in the first place, and 2nd to see if anyone else if interested in finding a more longterm solution? I see there are a couple of opensource projects to replace the milight hub and expand its capabilities.

https://github.com/sidoh/esp8266_milight_hub

I figured it would be easier to implement a plugin that talks to that, rather than the limited hub implementation we have currently. It would then mean relying on the open source project over the ever changing hubs which should hopefully see more support.

OpenHab appear to have taken the same approach - https://community.openhab.org/t/espm...easybulb/39720

Thoughts anyone?
    Oh, and merry christmas to those celebrating

I have used the bulbs and plan on using the new hub as a indicator ,, yet the bulbs ,, I read someplace the new bulbs are two way now, if so I would use then again. Sad note is they (The bulbs.) worked better than most of my two way bulbs.. Most of the bulbs are also the size of a standard incandescent bulb.

Comment

I have a couple of ESP32's from Adafruit that supposedly, you can control the programming for true digital led strip displays. I have no idea how to configure them, and there was an issue with the hardware stack, and there was a thread on github about needing a patch for timing or something. I plan on getting back on this project after the new year I guess.

Comment

Originally posted by tome10 View Post
        I have a couple of ESP32's from Adafruit that supposedly, you can control the programming for true digital led strip displays. I have no idea how to configure them, and there was an issue with the hardware stack, and there was a thread on github about needing a patch for timing or something. I plan on getting back on this project after the new year I guess.
        I have a blink in use, and a couple of items other items I haven't played with yet one's a cube and the other is a bar.. I as have a ESP32 that's a wifi button and has some leds in it,, I think it's from Adafruit...
        The new Mi-Light hub looks cool and I believe that hub and the new bulbs are two way , I read someplace.. The Mi-hubs are odd they use USB for power yet are WIFI to I believe 433Mhz.. The bulbs are low cost , the old ones like I have are about the size of a normal E26/E27 incandescent bulbs.. Even without feedback (One way instead of two way.) they worked better than almost all the other protocol bulbs I use. The players in the HA market just are still not getting it the average consumer wants to buy it bring it home and have it work preferably with product X,Y and Z.. That's why most of us use Homeseer or some other HA software.. The next closest thing is the Samsung hub or even new are the Amazon Plus Echo stuff.. The Amazon Echos already do WIFI and Bluetooth, with the addiction of Zigbee and Z-Wave it's and just over $100 it seems like a good deal.. bummer they'll will most likely never add 433Mhz or less likely 315Mhz 0r 318Mhz..

Comment

I use the LEDENET devices in my home to control a number of RGBW strips, see https://www.amazon.com/LEDENET-Contr...dp/B00MDKOSN0/

They work well and are very responsive to commands. I am using the Drule IP/Serial plugin to control them via HomeSeer. See https://forums.homeseer.com/forum/ge...hting?t=190521
          Billy Draper

Comment

Thanks for all the above - i've hacked together one of the ESP based devices, but think i have a dead radio that cannot send - its sniffing the packets well but not sending - waiting on a replacement but the software is great!

It will allow me to spoof my hub or create virtual new ones with unlimited zones - and it has a mode to mimic the UDP protocol used by the plugins made so far - so i may have some luck intergrating with one of the existing code bases, or with a small amount of tweaking.

Once i have the hardware running properly im thinking it may not be too much work to add a custom amount of zones of one of the existing plugins. I'd be happy to lend the hardware to Jon00 or someone to flesh it out properly.

The new milight bulbs are indeed 2-way, and remain inexpensive with an output i actually prefer to the hue bulbs.

Comment

Do you still need their hub ?? I didn't go looking deep , yet it appears it is 2.4ghz to 2.4ghz not 2.4ghz to 443mhz, can anybody confirm. Ah, the 2.4ghz band let's put everything in that band ,, we can just change protocols and overlap the channels in that band it'll work we'll just call it the mash network.. Small note is the few MiLight lights I used even with only one-way communication worked better than some of two-way communication devices..

Comment

so i finally got my alt-hub working, based on a NodeMCUv2 and NRF24 - it works a treat.
                It supports MQTT which i think would take much of the leg work out of linking it to HS Vritual Devices but i have no idea what im doing... reading time.

Just to say to people - this is a viable and probably very sensible route for people now stuck without the HS Limitless LED plugin being available.

Comment

Originally posted by dem5867 View Post
                  Do you still need their hub ??
                  No, you can grab the id of the hardware hub you currently have and clone it, or just create your own ID and start fresh without a hub and pair bulbs to a cloned ID you make up.

Comment

Working...
                  X