ZigBee vs Z-wave

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ZigBee vs Z-wave

I currently have only Z-wave devices. I was thinking of trying Zigbee. I have been reading several different web sites to research ZigBee.

Security: Both use the same encryption.
    Range: Z-wave 100 feet. ZigBee 60 feet.
    Speed: Zigbee is faster.
    Reliability: Z-wave is more reliable.
    Devices: Z-wave 232 device and ZigBee up to 61,000 devices.
    Hops: Z-wave limited to 4 hops. Zigbee unlimited hops.
    Power-Consumption: Not much of a difference.
    Source: Z-wave is closed and ZigBee is open.

Z-wave devices adhere to the same standard. Zigbee is broken up into several protocols. There's Home Automation, Smart Energy Profile, SEP energy management, Light Link, digital health, home hospital care, and more. Unfortunately, Zigbee devices of different protocols can't exactly talk to each other well.

Zigbee 3.0, however, unifies all these protocols so that they can work together.

Those of you that use ZigBee and Z-wave, do you have any issues with ZigBee or prefer one over the other? Are you using ZigBee 3.0 devices?

When looking at ZigBee devices on Amazon it just says ZigBee or ZigBee HA 1.2. How do I know which ZigBee devices will work with the Conbee and JowiHue plug-in?

Anyone know anything about ZigBee 3.0?

How new is ZigBee 3.0?

How many ZigBee 3.0 devices? I can’t seem to find a list of any devices.

Thanks
    Jim

I think you will find that zigbee is extremely well suited for battery operated devices such as typical sensors. Its power consumption is lower and its networks are self-healing. If you are looking at lighting or Internet Of Things (IOT) then WiFi comes a contender without need of hubs to convert between IP and RF.

Comment

I have a substantial number of both. Zigbee costs significantly less! Zigbee is not "native" to HS so you'll need some kind of plugin, more than likely. JowiHue comes to mind.

I just had a situation (for the second year in a row) that my Aeotec Doorbell 5 would suddenly sound for no apparent reason at ungodly hours. I'm pretty sure it's temp related in the winter. Anyway, I took the battery out of the button (RF directly to the bell, not z-wave) and installed a zigbee single button. Problem solved, easily and inexpensively.

Haven't specifically played with zigbee 3.0. I just know it's plays nicely with HS3 via the JowiHue plug-in.

Comment

Working...
      X