Using AC On to Trigger Z-Wave Scene

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Using AC On to Trigger Z-Wave Scene

I'm hoping someone can help me with this. My daughter recently moved into a townhouse (rental) that has a switched outlet in the master bedroom. Unfortunately, the outlet isn't located where she wants her lamps. What she would like to do is control the lamps, which are plugged into Z-Wave lamp modules, using the on/off switch that controls the switched outlet in the room.

Does anyone have a way of sending a Z-Wave command to Homeseer (she has a Zee S2) that in turn would trigger another HS event when AC is turned on or off? BTW, only half of the outlet is switched so the Z-Wave module could be powered on all of the time.

Thanks,
    Ken

Do you have the option of changing the switch out to a z-wave switch?
    HS 3.0.0.548: 1970 Devices 1149 Events
    Z-Wave 3.0.1.262: 123 Nodes on one Z-Net

Comment

Originally posted by kenm View Post
      I'm hoping someone can help me with this. My daughter recently moved into a townhouse (rental) that has a switched outlet in the master bedroom. Unfortunately, the outlet isn't located where she wants her lamps. What she would like to do is control the lamps, which are plugged into Z-Wave lamp modules, using the on/off switch that controls the switched outlet in the room.

Does anyone have a way of sending a Z-Wave command to Homeseer (she has a Zee S2) that in turn would trigger another HS event when AC is turned on or off? BTW, only half of the outlet is switched so the Z-Wave module could be powered on all of the time.

Thanks,
      Ken
      Try something like this : https://www.amazon.com/GE-Z-Wave-Wir...gateway&sr=8-3

Eman.
      The Closer.

Comment

Originally posted by sparkman View Post
        Do you have the option of changing the switch out to a z-wave switch?
        It is possible to swap the switch although she's 800 miles from me so I'd have to pay someone else to do it. Also, it's actually a 3-way circuit so it would need to be a 3-way switch along with the companion switch. I'm assuming that physically turning on or off a Z-Wave switch causes it to transmit it's status to the network? That in turn could be used to trigger an event? The cost of the switches + installation (and de-installation when she moves out) has me thinking about just having her setup a Philips Hue bridge and using Homekit/Siri on her watch/phone to control those lights.

I was actually thinking about trying to hot-wire something together like a 5VDC wall wart that closed a relay that was connected to a z-wave dry contact sensor. When the outlet was turned on, the wall wart would energize and close the relay which in turn would trigger the sensor input. the opposite would occur when the wall wart was turned off.

Eman, I don't think a remote is a good option for her since she would probably spend too much time fumbling around in the dark trying to find the remote to turn the lights on.

Thanks,
        Ken

Comment

Originally posted by kenm View Post

It is possible to swap the switch although she's 800 miles from me so I'd have to pay someone else to do it. Also, it's actually a 3-way circuit so it would need to be a 3-way switch along with the companion switch. I'm assuming that physically turning on or off a Z-Wave switch causes it to transmit it's status to the network? That in turn could be used to trigger an event? The cost of the switches + installation (and de-installation when she moves out) has me thinking about just having her setup a Philips Hue bridge and using Homekit/Siri on her watch/phone to control those lights.

I was actually thinking about trying to hot-wire something together like a 5VDC wall wart that closed a relay that was connected to a z-wave dry contact sensor. When the outlet was turned on, the wall wart would energize and close the relay which in turn would trigger the sensor input. the opposite would occur when the wall wart was turned off.

Eman, I don't think a remote is a good option for her since she would probably spend too much time fumbling around in the dark trying to find the remote to turn the lights on.

Thanks,
          Ken
          Just to close on what I ended up doing with this...

At first I came up with using a MIMOLite along with a 5VDC wall wart plugged into the switched outlet. The MIMOLite can be associated with up to two Z-wave devices so energizing the wall wart attached to the input could turn on the lights and de-energizing it could turn them off.

By the time I rolled up the cost of the MIMOLite, 2x Z-wave lamp modules, and the 5VDC wall wart I was well over $100US so instead I decided to just keep it simple for her and go with the two bulb Philips Hue starter kit. She didn't need the color bulbs so the white bulb starter kit was enough and works fine for her situation.

Ken

Comment

My goal is to be able to use HS3 to send a command to a Z-wave momentary switch to open FAAC 455D control board driveway gate--i.e. send open to #9 Open A

Can you please advise if the MIMOLite is a momentary switch, or how to configure the devices below to be momentary

The MIMOLite will likely not arrive in time for my work trip, so I ordered and have added to HS3 two other switches below. They both have two controls in HS3: ON and OFF. so they do not appear to be momentary

Is the typical practice to program HS3 turn ON then OFF the switch. or is the typical practice for HS3 to send a single command to OPEN, and the switch itself is configured to be Momentary?
            1. Nutone NSF20Z http://www.nutone.com/products/produ...7-5b961bdbea3b -- which I now see is discontinued though available on AMazon
            2. Remotec ZFM-80US https://www.aartech.ca/zfm-80-remote...ay-module.html

I believe I want a momentary switch-so I can use HS3 to send an OPEN command, and it will execute the momentary switch to power the gate relay , but not keep the switch open.

I am also aware of setting parameters on the Devices in HS, but not sure if any of the parameters convert the hardware to be momentary.

thanks, Chris

Comment

Hi Chris,

According to the MIMOlite user manual the relay can be either latched or momentary:

"The relay activation can be set via a jumper or via Z-Wave for either momentary or latched operation - see Installation section."

"Depending on your intended application, place jumper on P5 (2 pin connector beside P3): for Latched relay function, leave jumper ON; for Momentary relay function, remove jumper."

I'm not familiar with either of the two modules you have linked to but since they appear to be inline fixture modules I doubt they support momentary control.

As far as the logic goes for the OPEN command, I personally like to use device built-in functionality when available vs. adding events to HS to turn a device back off. There's a window, admittedly tiny, where the ON command could be sent and the system crashes before the OFF command is sent. You have to evaluate the impact of the OFF command not being sent. For my Liftmaster garage door openers it's not a huge deal since they are edge triggered but if the OFF command didn't get sent there'd be no way to close the doors later.

EDIT: Also be aware that Z-Wave is 25M line-of-sight from the next closest module so you may need to add an additional outdoor z-wave module to act as a repeater if your driveway is too long.

Hope this helps,
              Ken
              Last edited by kenm; May 7th, 2019, 03:53 PM. Reason: See EDIT:

Comment

Working...
              X