Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Moving into new (used) house - what lighting would you choose?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Moving into new (used) house - what lighting would you choose?

Hey all...

We are planning on moving soon, and i'm thinking about what i'd do differently in a new house. About to make an offer on one that has nice recessed lighting throughout, with standard dimmer controls.

figure about 3000 square feet, with another 1000 square feet in mother-in-law apartment above detached garage. there is LAN running to garage, so I could place a second znet there.

today I run all zwave: a mix of GE switches, lamp modules, and some of the HS200 dimmers as well. I'd likely go all HS dimmers again (like controlling the LEDs, etc), but my question is...

if you had to do it and were buying in bulk from the start, would you do zwave, or think about a different solution like insteon or Lutron?

Opinions welcome!

thanks!

tg

Originally posted by Tomgru View Post
    Hey all...

We are planning on moving soon, and i'm thinking about what i'd do differently in a new house. About to make an offer on one that has nice recessed lighting throughout, with standard dimmer controls.

figure about 3000 square feet, with another 1000 square feet in mother-in-law apartment above detached garage. there is LAN running to garage, so I could place a second znet there.

today I run all zwave: a mix of GE switches, lamp modules, and some of the HS200 dimmers as well. I'd likely go all HS dimmers again (like controlling the LEDs, etc), but my question is...

if you had to do it and were buying in bulk from the start, would you do zwave, or think about a different solution like insteon or Lutron?

Opinions welcome!

thanks!

tg
    I just recently replaced ALL of my lighting and fan control with Insteon. I'm very pleased with the response speed and results and fine grain control of lighting that I now have versus Z-Wave options. The reliability has been solid and there's no dealing with optimizing the z-wave mesh or wondering about why that light didn't come on. If you want solid lighting and want scenes and control Insteon is now my choice. Z-wave/Zigbee are still great for sensors and the odd item that Insteon does not handle at a device level but could be addressed with a more professional solution.

Currently Lutron is the top tier of professional lighting control systems. However it's costly which is why I haven't done that yet. Perhaps next year or perhaps sooner as I'm working on other projects (controller systems) that will involve Lutron so I may migrate sooner than expected. Not sure.

Comment

I personally would not do Insteon as I'm not sure how it fits in the market place from a sales volume perspective, so am concerned about survivability of the product line since there's really just one manufacturer. I'd personally stick with z-wave as there are multiple manufacturers of products. Yes, the z-wave chips only come from one place, but can't see those disappearing any time soon and I have no systemic network reliability issues. I'd consider Lutron, but I'd have the same "single-manufacturer" concern with it. Just my $0.02.
      HS 3.0.0.548: 1970 Devices 1148 Events
      Z-Wave 3.0.1.262: 123 Nodes on one Z-Net

Comment

Originally posted by sparkman View Post
        I personally would not do Insteon as I'm not sure how it fits in the market place from a sales volume perspective, so am concerned about survivability of the product line since there's really just one manufacturer. I'd personally stick with z-wave as there are multiple manufacturers of products. Yes, the z-wave chips only come from one place, but can't see those disappearing any time soon and I have no systemic network reliability issues. I'd consider Lutron, but I'd have the same "single-manufacturer" concern with it. Just my $0.02.
        I've seen the "single-manufacturer" concern a lot. The same perceived limitation is the largest advantage. The devices work together. Period. The problem with Z-Wave and Zigbee is the fractured nature of the systems. Can this be alleviated? Yes. You can buy ALL HS switches and then you know they all function in the same manner... oops "single-manufacturer" again. Or you can mix your devices to have that freedom of not being locked to a "single-manufacturer" and then some devices work one way, some work another, they don't share the same feature set some are faster/slower than others... etc etc. There's a pro/con to each decision and a level of "risk" associated with each. I have less fear of HS, Insteon, Lutron going out of business in the next decade than I do of other cheap Z-Wave/Zigbee Amazon products.

Comment

Originally posted by Simplex Technology View Post

I've seen the "single-manufacturer" concern a lot. The same perceived limitation is the largest advantage. The devices work together. Period. The problem with Z-Wave and Zigbee is the fractured nature of the systems. Can this be alleviated? Yes. You can buy ALL HS switches and then you know they all function in the same manner... oops "single-manufacturer" again. Or you can mix your devices to have that freedom of not being locked to a "single-manufacturer" and then some devices work one way, some work another, they don't share the same feature set some are faster/slower than others... etc etc. There's a pro/con to each decision and a level of "risk" associated with each. I have less fear of HS, Insteon, Lutron going out of business in the next decade than I do of other cheap Z-Wave/Zigbee Amazon products.
          I have z-wave products from about a dozen vendors. Everything works well together so there's no reason to buy from one manufacturer. Agreed that buying from the companies that have a long history makes sense. But if FortrezZ goes out of business, I have no concerns with other vendors' water sensors working with their water valve. I have 3 brands of water sensors today that all shut-off the valve directly, even if HS is not running. Just my $0.04

PS I was offering an opinion which is what the OP asked. I was not responding to your post, just referencing the three technologies the OP mentioned. Not meaning to get into a discussion/argument about my opinion. Multiple valid opinions are just that.

Comment

Originally posted by sparkman View Post

I have z-wave products from about a dozen vendors. Everything works well together so there's no reason to buy from one manufacturer. Agreed that buying from the companies that have a long history makes sense. But if FortrezZ goes out of business, I have no concerns with other vendors' water sensors working with their water valve. I have 3 brands of water sensors today that all shut-off the valve directly, even if HS is not running. Just my $0.04

PS I was offering an opinion which is what the OP asked. I was not responding to your post, just referencing the three technologies the OP mentioned. Not meaning to get into a discussion/argument about my opinion. Multiple valid opinions are just that.
            Nah I'm not arguing but playing the game

It's a valid question and all valid points. There's room enough for lots of options but when it comes to lighting as per the OP question I like to stick with a single vendor to ensure full functionality and operations. Example, GE switch one model has ramp rate adjustment and this Zooz doesn't.... both z-wave, will work perfect with any controller, both turn on, off but may not have the same functions capabilities as each other. That's all I was getting at....

I suppose to simply what I'm saying... for lighting switches/dimmers... doesn't matter the protocol/vendor pick make/model that has the functions/features and do all of them the same

Comment

Originally posted by Simplex Technology View Post

I suppose to simply what I'm saying... for lighting switches/dimmers... doesn't matter the protocol/vendor pick make/model that has the functions/features and do all of them the same
              Lol, agreed on keeping switches consistent. That's what I have done (all Leviton) and yes, if one of them failed after a manufacturer has gone out of business or discontinued a product line, then it would suck having one or a few switches that were different. I bought spares for that reason, but the Leviton's have been very reliable and I have not had to use my spares. Their first gen fan switches did have high failure rates, but ones they've provided as warranty replacements have been rock solid.

Comment

Originally posted by Tomgru View Post
                Just to add to the mix, have you considered UPB? Also solid as a rock. I am in the process of converting all my lighting and appliance control to UPB after an extensive tryout period. The capability that was the deciding factor for me was the amount of complex control it can handle autonomously.

Mike____________________________________________________________ __________________
                HS3 Pro Edition 3.0.0.548

HW: Stargate | NX8e | CAV6.6 | Squeezebox | PCS | WGL 800RF, Rain8Net+ | RFXCOM | QSE100D | Vantage Pro | Green-Eye | X10: XTB-232, -IIR | Edgeport/8 | Way2Call | Ecobee3

Comment

Working...
                X