• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Light bulb compatibility

Cliff notes for HS dimmers compatibility
    3000k baffles don't work
    Phillips warm glow baffles for recessed cans work
    Sylvania "warm" bulbs work

I wanted to share my experience with finding light bulbs that worked with my HS dimmers without buzzing or flickering. I outfitted my entire new home with HS dimmers, mix of 100 and 200 series. I apparently didn't do enough initial testing with the dimmers before buying...

Most of my lighting is recessed can lights. Electrician put in GE led baffles, 3000k that caused switch buzzing, especially with higher loads. Swapped all of them for Lithonia baffles, 3000k which flickered, no buzzing. Troubleshoot for the next 2 months, buying every 3k baffle brand I could find, testing about a dozen. The only good option was a super cheap, ugly house brand option.

I ended up deciding I had to compromise and back off to 2700k bulbs. The Phillips warm glow baffles performed well and were my final choice.

I needed some Edison, exposed filament style bulbs for some of our fixtures. I tried a few Amazon options, but happened upon a "warm" option (seems to be 2700k) from Sylvania that performed well. Very slight flickering in the middle range, but generally not noticable. That was my final choice for that style.

I needed some regular a19? style bulbs. I'll get something off the compatibility chart published, oh, I guess I won't because you can't buy any of the good options anymore....

Phillips has warm glow a19 bulbs.... Nope, those bulbs buzz. I picked up the regular, "warm" Sylvania bulbs on a whim, and they work great.

Long post, but information I wish I had before finding out the hard way.

Originally posted by kspwski View Post
    Cliff notes for HS dimmers compatibility
    3000k baffles don't work
    Phillips warm glow baffles for recessed cans work
    Sylvania "warm" bulbs work

I wanted to share my experience with finding light bulbs that worked with my HS dimmers without buzzing or flickering. I outfitted my entire new home with HS dimmers, mix of 100 and 200 series. I apparently didn't do enough initial testing with the dimmers before buying...

Most of my lighting is recessed can lights. Electrician put in GE led baffles, 3000k that caused switch buzzing, especially with higher loads. Swapped all of them for Lithonia baffles, 3000k which flickered, no buzzing. Troubleshoot for the next 2 months, buying every 3k baffle brand I could find, testing about a dozen. The only good option was a super cheap, ugly house brand option.

I ended up deciding I had to compromise and back off to 2700k bulbs. The Phillips warm glow baffles performed well and were my final choice.

I needed some Edison, exposed filament style bulbs for some of our fixtures. I tried a few Amazon options, but happened upon a "warm" option (seems to be 2700k) from Sylvania that performed well. Very slight flickering in the middle range, but generally not noticable. That was my final choice for that style.

I needed some regular a19? style bulbs. I'll get something off the compatibility chart published, oh, I guess I won't because you can't buy any of the good options anymore....

Phillips has warm glow a19 bulbs.... Nope, those bulbs buzz. I picked up the regular, "warm" Sylvania bulbs on a whim, and they work great.

Long post, but information I wish I had before finding out the hard way.
    Supe helpful! just moved into new (used) house and had most of my switches changed to hd200s .... most of the current bulbs need to be replaced.

Sent from my SM-T813 using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
    X