Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Good, Strong Strobe Light

Hi there!
    I am looking to install an indoor strobe light, to use for security related events, as well as for some non-security events (i.e. to supplement a wake-up alarm for my night shift - sleep with ear plugs in daytime).

I knew that Fortrez makes one, so initially I thought I'd go that route. After all, it's already a z-wave device. It turns out that reviews of that strobe aren't impressive: poor range, weak strobe, weak construction.

OK, I thought. There's got to be someone else who makes a z-wave strobe, typically aimed at alarm system use. There are two: one by Aeon, another - by Everspring. Even worse reviews...

Fine. I have Elk M1 Gold alarm panel, already integrated with HomeSeer using Ultra's plugin. The strobe made by Elk may work, but requires running a wire all the way back to alarm panel and having a zone free of other loads to connect...

So, is there a strobe light that can run on AC, for simplicity, and uses a commercial grade Xenon or another bright, strong light? This way, I can simply add a strobe and control it with a basic z-wave switch, using events.

how about a strobe used by dj's and clubs

http://www.chauvetlighting.com/shocker-90-irc/
    shocker $149

http://www.chauvetlighting.com/mini-strobe-led.html
    mini strobe $15

There are other brands, but chauvet is a premium long lasting brand as far as staging, music, and dj equipment. I don't have the strobe, but have many of their devices and they are long lasting. Some of these strobes you can change the speed settings. Attach a zwave appliance or outdoor module and you're good to go. Add a blacklight and you'll be movin'

edit: thought I shrunk the image, but it's huge!
    Tom
    baby steps...starting again with HS3
    HS3Pro: Z-NET & 80 Z wave Devices,
    HSTouch: 4 Joggler (Android Kitkat), 2 iPhone, 3 iPads
    Whole House Audio: 5 SqueezePlay Jogglers w Bose Speakers
    In The Works: 10 Cameras Geovision, new Adecmo/Envisalink Alarm, Arduinos
    System: XP on Fanless Mini-ITX w/ SSD

Comment

Originally posted by TomTom View Post
      how about a strobe used by dj's and clubs. There are other brands, but chauvet is a premium long lasting brand as far as staging, music, and dj equipment. I don't have the strobe, but have many of their devices and they are long lasting. Some of these strobes you can change the speed settings. Attach a zwave appliance or outdoor module and you're good to go. Add a blacklight and you'll be movin'

edit: thought I shrunk the image, but it's huge!
      I actually saw some of these in my search May come down to that. I was hoping someone makes a security-looking strobe. Those I found (Secu-Alarm is one of them) are low-voltage, so need power supply, then figuring out HS control... That's why i was searching for a straight-out line voltage. Or, perhaps, something I can hide in a ceiling, to make it less club-looking
      Last edited by VirtualPanther; January 18th, 2015, 12:34 AM.

Comment

You can also purchase a cheapo combination strobe / doorbell with a wireless switch for some $10 on Ebay. Connect an output on the Elk or Homeseer to the wireless switch.

- Pete

Auto mator
        Homeseer 3 Pro - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e 64 bit Intel Haswell CPU 16Gb- Mono 6.8X
        Homeseer Zee2 (Lite) - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e - CherryTrail x5-Z8350 BeeLink 4Gb BT3 Pro - Mono 6.8X
        HS4 pro - 4.0.3.0 - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e 64 bit Intel Kaby Lake CPU - 32Gb - Mono 6.8X

X10, UPB, Zigbee, ZWave and Wifi MQTT automation. OmniPro 2, Russound zoned audio, Smartthings hub, Hubitat Hub, and Home Assistant

Comment

Originally posted by Pete View Post
          You can also purchase a cheapo combination strobe / doorbell with a wireless switch for some $10 on Ebay. Connect an output on the Elk or Homeseer to the wireless switch.

Hmm... That may be an idea!

Comment

One more question. If it's a low voltage device, what's the best way today to power and Control in HS3? Wall wart plugged into a z-wave receptacle? Global Cache contact closure to IP? Would 12v be better than 24v, or the other way around?

Comment

The above device uses batteries and appears to have a low power draw. Using an AC to DC power adapter with it wouldn't be much of an issue other than tinkering a bit with it such that it doesn't utilize the RF remote.

Recently here have gone to using chimes for night security stuff over text to speech (WAF related) - "one if by land two if by sea" type of stuff...

I just have a standard strobe outside hooked up to the HAI OPII panel using 12VDC wires and the the draw is minimal (way below one amp). I thought most of the security panel strobes were all 12VDC. Guessing though the 24VDC ones would work with those CCTV 24VDC power supplies.

I mentioned the remote wireless switch that came with with the above contraption. I am guessing that Z-Wave does have some sort of LV relay or something similiar that you could utilize in Homeseer 3 or even use the digital to analog box (which is overkill) for it. For $10 it's worth tinkering with and will not bust your automation budget.

Not to long ago a wife's friends sister that lived in a home by herself was getting ready to go to work in the late morning time. She was upstairs and some person had knocked on the main front door in her house. She was taking a shower. The person knocking assumed that no one was home. He broke the front door lock by force and walked in. She happened to be walking down the stairs in her bath robe going to the kitchen to eat breakfast. She confronted the person and a little battle happened which she kept getting pistol whipped by the person. She was able to drag the guy outside while he was still beating her. Neighbors saw the fight in the street and called the police. The guy ran by foot and was found later on by the police using a helicopter. She did end up in the hospital for a few days. Never heard of anything like this happening before.
              Last edited by Pete; January 18th, 2015, 03:47 PM.
              - Pete

Auto mator
              Homeseer 3 Pro - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e 64 bit Intel Haswell CPU 16Gb- Mono 6.8X
              Homeseer Zee2 (Lite) - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e - CherryTrail x5-Z8350 BeeLink 4Gb BT3 Pro - Mono 6.8X
              HS4 pro - 4.0.3.0 - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e 64 bit Intel Kaby Lake CPU - 32Gb - Mono 6.8X

X10, UPB, Zigbee, ZWave and Wifi MQTT automation. OmniPro 2, Russound zoned audio, Smartthings hub, Hubitat Hub, and Home Assistant

Comment

I do have Elk for my security. Idc I have a free zone on its panel, I could connect to that. I believe it's a 12v DC also

Comment

Yup; that would be using a wired connection.

You could connect an output rather than an input on the Elk to a LV Relay which would drive the little wireless switch that is pictured. Thinking the range mentioned was 200 ft on the wireless switch do what above.

sleep with ear plugs in daytime
                  I would find it difficult to get interrupted (well even a strobe) with day time normal activities.

Lately though (must be my age) can fall asleep while at the dinner table of relatives; very low on the WAF; I get kicked under table and woken up.

Years ago in an effort to sleep during the day (well while in school) I did purchase daytime darkening window stuff (I didn't want to see any peep of daylight) and the house was masonry and I never hear anything outside and didn't want to hear anything outside.
                  - Pete

Auto mator

Comment

Working...
                  X