Lowes smart water shut-off valve

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lowes smart water shut-off valve

Has any else seen this one? Lowes has a water shutoff valve tor $160 and apparently it's Z-Wave. I wonder if it will work with HS3?

http://www.lowes.com/pd_579898-255-8...d=50134588&Ntt

https://gigaom.com/2015/02/20/check-...ve-from-lowes/
    Originally posted by rprade
    There is no rhyme or reason to the anarchy a defective Z-Wave device can cause

According to this forum it's ZigBee.
    http://community.smartthings.com/t/i...f-valve/7172/4
    -Rupp
    sigpic

Comment

Yeah, looks like you're right. Too bad since I would really like this functionality. I'm not about to spend $400 on the Fortezz unit at this point in time though.

Here's to the hope of HS3 supporting Zigbee!

Comment

ZigBee is being worked in HS3 but ZigBee seems to be implemented differently with nearly every product as exampled by the IRIS line which includes proprietary code at every turn.
        -Rupp
        sigpic

Comment

Yeah, I know. It's really a messy shame. I could probably cobble something together myself before this all gets sorted out. Either that or justify to myself the cost of the Fortezz unit.

Comment

Originally posted by S-F View Post
            Yeah, I know. It's really a messy shame. I could probably cobble something together myself before this all gets sorted out. Either that or justify to myself the cost of the Fortezz unit.
            S-F, here's what I did http://board.homeseer.com/showpost.p...3&postcount=13 nice thing is you have multiple options on how to activate the switch, I just chose to use ZW Appliance Modules.

http://board.homeseer.com/showpost.p...0&postcount=38 I was hoping HS would get them in so I could spend my money there, but I've seen them yet...
            All Z-Wave, #101 devices, HomeTroller Series2, HomeSeer2 v.2.5.0.81, & 1x Z-Troller

Comment

On CT we went in on a group purchase of a commercial style stainless steel electronic valve from a mfg company in China. Quality is very good.

Here is one example.

One of the bells and whistles of the commercial style stainless steel electronic valve was the addition of sensors on the switch to confirm position of the valve. IE: DC power to the valve and 4 wires for the sensors. This was though for a direct connect to an Elk or HAI panel. You could connect Z-Wave relays and sensors to it. So you would get an analog confirmation of the position of the valve.

Going this way you are not limited by what is in stock. You have a bunch of choices; brass/stainless steel, whether the valve is open or closed when powered, size of the inlet / outlet, et al. Here my water pipes coming into the home are 1" and some homes are different. Its easier to purchase something that will fit rather than fitting something that will not fit unless you modify your plumbing.

One of the changes here lately was to replace my city water meter with a new one which is mostly plastic. The town did state that brass leaks a bit over the years and that was why I had to go to plastic. I was privy to being able to do it myself. The old brass meter was about 1/2 the size of the new plastic meter. I had to redo the copper 1" pipes and ended up using brass elbows anyways and mostly cuz it looked sturdier than the 1" copper pipes.
              Last edited by Pete; February 24th, 2015, 03:58 PM.
              - Pete

Auto mator
              Homeseer 3 Pro - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e 64 bit Intel Haswell CPU 16Gb- Mono 6.8X
              Homeseer Zee2 (Lite) - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e - CherryTrail x5-Z8350 BeeLink 4Gb BT3 Pro - Mono 6.8X
              HS4 pro - 4.0.3.0 - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e 64 bit Intel Kaby Lake CPU - 32Gb - Mono 6.8X

X10, UPB, Zigbee, ZWave and Wifi MQTT automation. OmniPro 2, Russound zoned audio, Smartthings hub, Hubitat Hub, and Home Assistant

Comment

Pete,
                From the link that you provided do you have a recommended model number of the stainless valve with control wires you mentioned?

Also these are similar on how they operate to Honeywell hot water heating Zone valves that have a micro switch that gets tripped when fully opened to turn the boiler on.

The heat zone valve motors occasionally go bad but you can easily just replace the small electric motor on the valve body without having to touch the plumbing, what about these?

Comment

This is one of the products I'm eying when the hs zigbee plugin comes about. Hope it covers this zigbee protocol
                  Tom
                  baby steps...starting again with HS3
                  HS3Pro: Z-NET & 80 Z wave Devices,
                  HSTouch: 4 Joggler (Android Kitkat), 2 iPhone, 3 iPads
                  Whole House Audio: 5 SqueezePlay Jogglers w Bose Speakers
                  In The Works: 10 Cameras Geovision, new Adecmo/Envisalink Alarm, Arduinos
                  System: XP on Fanless Mini-ITX w/ SSD

Comment

That link above was related to someone that didn't get in on the group buy here for a KLD Water Valve.

@Ray,

Gets really involved. I purchased mine with the group KLD buy and it was a consensus of a bunch of us figuring out the specifications as there were many choices.

I can't make any recommendations on the above company other than knowing another Homeseer user purchased one from them and is a happy camper today. Thinking its about a year now. I wouldn't be able to tell you about Honeywell. That said if you look up the Honeywell specs; you can probably match them (tolerances et al).

The one I mention is one control pair of wires and two pairs of valve position sensors. (6 wires).

KLD Valves for Domestic Heating
                    Attached Files
                    Last edited by Pete; February 24th, 2015, 04:43 PM.
                    - Pete

Auto mator
                    Homeseer 3 Pro - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e 64 bit Intel Haswell CPU 16Gb- Mono 6.8X
                    Homeseer Zee2 (Lite) - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e - CherryTrail x5-Z8350 BeeLink 4Gb BT3 Pro - Mono 6.8X
                    HS4 pro - 4.0.3.0 - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e 64 bit Intel Kaby Lake CPU - 32Gb - Mono 6.8X

X10, UPB, Zigbee, ZWave and Wifi MQTT automation. OmniPro 2, Russound zoned audio, Smartthings hub, Hubitat Hub, and Home Assistant

Comment

Working...
                    X