Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How to find X10 Wireless transmitter

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • How to find X10 Wireless transmitter

    I have an X10 wireless somewhere in my house, or a neighbor has, that is broadcasting an on code continuously. That pretty well hoses my HS2 from doing anything.

    Has anybody found a radio frequency receiver that can tune to 310 mhz so it would be possible to search around the house? It would be great to build a directional antenna that would allow me to foxhunt the transmitter.

    Steve

  • #2
    Are you sure it's a transmitter? Many device can broadcast what appears to be an X10 signal. Have you tried powering down breakers to see if you may possibly spot the culprit. I have a drill battery charger that transmits M on better than any X10 remote I've ever owned.
    -Rupp
    sigpic

    Comment


    • #3
      Interesting idea. No I hadn't thought it was NOT X10. You're point is a good one. I could go breaker by breaker and see if it stops.

      The reason I thought to foxhunt the frequency is that it would allow me to triangulate to a location in my house and at least narrow down the culprit. I have my amateur license so it seemed like a good idea to foxhunt this like I would a standard frequency that is within the normal ranges for communication. I just don't have a receiver that will pick up 310mhz. All I had to do was construct a directional antenna that is resonant on 310mhz.

      i couldn't think of much new stuff around the house until..... a new LED TV set and AV Receiver came to mind. No little stuff. So time to start flipping breakers.

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by sponnath View Post
        I have an X10 wireless somewhere in my house, or a neighbor has, that is broadcasting an on code continuously. That pretty well hoses my HS2 from doing anything.

        Has anybody found a radio frequency receiver that can tune to 310 mhz so it would be possible to search around the house? It would be great to build a directional antenna that would allow me to foxhunt the transmitter.

        Steve
        Hi Steve, you can use something like this: http://www.amazon.com/NooElec-RTL-SD.../dp/B008S7AVTC with free SDR software.

        Cheers
        Al
        HS 3.0.0.548: 1990 Devices 1172 Events
        Z-Wave 3.0.1.262: 126 Nodes on one Z-Net

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by sparkman View Post
          Hi Steve, you can use something like this: http://www.amazon.com/NooElec-RTL-SD.../dp/B008S7AVTC with free SDR software.

          Cheers
          Al
          Hi Al,

          Does that also work for tracking down a rogue Oregon Scientific temperature transmitter?

          I know the thing is somewhere inside/near my study, I see its temperature rise and fall as I turn on aircon in that room, but I can't find the darn thing for the life of me!
          HW: HS3 w/ Win8.1 on ASRock C2550d4i. Digi AnywhereUSB, Hubport, Edgeport, UZB, Z-trollers, PLCBUS, SONOS, GC-100, iTach IP2SL, WF2IR, IP2IR, RFXtrx433, Harmony Hubs, Hue, Ademco Vista 128BP, NetAtmo, NetAtmo Welcome

          Google Search for HomeSeer Forum

          Comment


          • #6
            It will be harder if it's not transmitting continuously, but yes, it can also be tuned to that frequency band. The standard antenna is not very directional, but you should be able to see a stronger signal as you get closer.

            Cheers
            Al

            PS The same kind of radios can also be found on dx.com, eBay, etc.
            HS 3.0.0.548: 1990 Devices 1172 Events
            Z-Wave 3.0.1.262: 126 Nodes on one Z-Net

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by sparkman View Post
              It will be harder if it's not transmitting continuously, but yes, it can also be tuned to that frequency band. The standard antenna is not very directional, but you should be able to see a stronger signal as you get closer.

              Cheers
              Al

              PS The same kind of radios can also be found on dx.com, eBay, etc.
              Thanks. I've ordered a $10 one from banggood.com. Same chipset, different antenna port (but came with antenna)...
              HW: HS3 w/ Win8.1 on ASRock C2550d4i. Digi AnywhereUSB, Hubport, Edgeport, UZB, Z-trollers, PLCBUS, SONOS, GC-100, iTach IP2SL, WF2IR, IP2IR, RFXtrx433, Harmony Hubs, Hue, Ademco Vista 128BP, NetAtmo, NetAtmo Welcome

              Google Search for HomeSeer Forum

              Comment


              • #8
                Not a bad idea!

                Well worth a try. I have been wanting to play with an SDR anyway. I don't know if Ham Radio Deluxe will work with this device but will try. It has a good RF waterfall scale. I use it now with my Kenwood TS-2000.

                You can make a more directional antenna. Look up amateur radio foxhunt antenna and you are bound to find a directional antenna idea. They can be made nicely with an old roll up metal measuring tape and PVC pipe.

                I ordered their Mini2 version and a MCX to 259 antenna adapter so I can make an antenna and hook it up easily.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Got my Nooelec Mini2 and installed it. Yes, I can hear a blip at 310-mhz! pretty cool little device. I can add this to my laptop and walk around the house finding the culprit that is broadcasting continuously. I need a directional antenna as this small one just is very limited.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by sponnath View Post
                    Got my Nooelec Mini2 and installed it. Yes, I can hear a blip at 310-mhz! pretty cool little device. I can add this to my laptop and walk around the house finding the culprit that is broadcasting continuously. I need a directional antenna as this small one just is very limited.
                    Are you sure it is RF? I would think any batteried powered X10 remote with a stuck key would be dead after four days. Just sayin.

                    Comment

                    Working...
                    X