Switching lighting from Z-Wave to Insteon

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Switching lighting from Z-Wave to Insteon

After much thought, some experimentation, a few curse words, and absolute shock at the price of Z-Wave lighting modules that can effectively dim LED bulbs, I've decided to slowly convert over to Insteon.

A few years back I jumped at the chance to purchase a bunch of Wayne Dalton Z-Wave dimmers that were VERY cheap. Half of them are installed, and the other half are still sitting in a box. I learned quickly that I didn't want the sort of dimmer that didn't require a neutral wire.

Last week I got a good deal on LED dimmable floods at Lowes and bought a few to try out. With my WD dimmers not only did they not dim, but they wouldn't turn off either, as the 9W they pulled wasn't enough to keep them from lighting with the "leakage" current the dimmers passed through.

I just found on Amazon Insteon 2477D dimmers that use a neutral wire, and dim my LED bulbs perfectly, for $20/each. That's compared with the $60+ I would have to pay for a comparable Z-Wave dimmer. Since I've run Z-Wave and Insteon side by side for several years, I can only say that in my experience Insteon is much more reliable (using dual-band) than Z-Wave. I'll still have to keep my Z-Wave network somewhat intact to operate my Kwikset door lock and a couple other things, but I'm very happy with Insteon and the pricing I've recently found.

Any chance HST will start to carry Insteon devices at competitive prices? I hope so.

EDIT: Anyone want to buy some gently used Wayne Dalton Z-Wave dimmers? I have some that provide instant status, some that don't.
    Last edited by reidfo; April 24th, 2015, 10:43 PM. Reason: Follow up
    HS Pro 3.0 | Linux Ubuntu 16.04 x64 virtualized under Proxmox (KVM)
    Hardware: Z-NET - W800 Serial - Digi PortServer TS/8 and TS/16 serial to Ethernet - Insteon PLM - RFXCOM - X10 Wireless
    Plugins: HSTouch iOS and Android, RFXCOM, BlueIris, BLLock, BLDSC, BLRF, Insteon PLM (MNSandler), Device History, Ecobee, BLRing, Kodi, UltraWeatherWU3
    Second home: Zee S2 with Z-Wave, CT101 Z-Wave Thermostat, Aeotec Z-Wave microswitches, HSM200 occupancy sensor, Ecolink Z-Wave door sensors, STI Driveway Monitor interfaced to Zee S2 GPIO pins.

Where u finding them for $20? I get excited when their $40.

Insteon has a much cleaner look I feel, especially when you use their screwless wall plates.

In total we have over 60 devices and growing. Probably when its down I'll have 100 or so.

With Mark Sandler's plugin and the product really shines. Were 90% LED and only a couple lights left are Fluorescent.
    HSPro: 3.0.0.194
    PL: Insteon PLM 3.0.5.20,Insteon Thermostat 3.0.1.1 , UltraM1G, RainRelay8, UltraECM3, UltraPioneerAVR3, BLBackup, weatherXML, Jon00 Network & PC Monitor
    HW : Win 7 64bit, Intel i7-2600, 16 GB DDR3 Ram, 60 Plus Insteon Dual Band Devices, Rain8 Pro2, Elk M1 Gold, Brueltech GreenEye.

Comment

Sorry, I was mistaken in my earlier post. The switches were about $30.

Looks like like price has already gone up to $40, but still cheaper than equivalent Z-Wave.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
      HS Pro 3.0 | Linux Ubuntu 16.04 x64 virtualized under Proxmox (KVM)
      Hardware: Z-NET - W800 Serial - Digi PortServer TS/8 and TS/16 serial to Ethernet - Insteon PLM - RFXCOM - X10 Wireless
      Plugins: HSTouch iOS and Android, RFXCOM, BlueIris, BLLock, BLDSC, BLRF, Insteon PLM (MNSandler), Device History, Ecobee, BLRing, Kodi, UltraWeatherWU3
      Second home: Zee S2 with Z-Wave, CT101 Z-Wave Thermostat, Aeotec Z-Wave microswitches, HSM200 occupancy sensor, Ecolink Z-Wave door sensors, STI Driveway Monitor interfaced to Zee S2 GPIO pins.

Comment

Gotta love them Warehouse Deals but they go fast.
        HSPro: 3.0.0.194
        PL: Insteon PLM 3.0.5.20,Insteon Thermostat 3.0.1.1 , UltraM1G, RainRelay8, UltraECM3, UltraPioneerAVR3, BLBackup, weatherXML, Jon00 Network & PC Monitor
        HW : Win 7 64bit, Intel i7-2600, 16 GB DDR3 Ram, 60 Plus Insteon Dual Band Devices, Rain8 Pro2, Elk M1 Gold, Brueltech GreenEye.

Comment

Working...
        X