Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Merten Z-wave & HS3: what are my options?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Merten Z-wave & HS3: what are my options?

Hello,

About 4 years ago I started with HS2. I based my z-wave infrastructure on Merten's z-wave products because of their pretty design and quality build. Mostly light switches (both wired and battery operated)

Merten & HS2 = complicated relationship
    - Merten devices can't connect to HS2 directly. The Merten software is required + a Merten device needs to be the primary controller. The Aeon Stick being the secondary controller.
    - There are various issues with battery operated Merten Devices.
    - All z-wave devices (incl non-Merten brands) first need to be registered inside the Merten software before it can be read into HS2.
    - More background info (especially message #38): http://board.homeseer.com/showthread...=merten&page=2
    and http://www.smarthus.info/support/dow...Merten_bpd.pdf

The issue
    Merten has stopped production of their Z-wave range. Their Z-wave Connect software has not been updated for at least 4 years. In other words, the current Merten - HS2 structure is not future proof, to put it mildly.

I would like to migrate to HS3, but what to do with my z-wave devices, both Merten and non-Merten brands?

My options?

1. Throw out all my Merten devices and replace them with XYZ, thereby throw out thousands of $ invested...
    2. Create 2 z-wave networks in HS3 which (I think) is possible but probably will create its own headaches?
    3. or....?

Thanks in advance for any help or tips

Olof

Originally posted by olof2006 View Post
    Hello,

About 4 years ago I started with HS2. I based my z-wave infrastructure on Merten's z-wave products because of their pretty design and quality build. Mostly light switches (both wired and battery operated)

Merten & HS2 = complicated relationship
    - Merten devices can't connect to HS2 directly. The Merten software is required + a Merten device needs to be the primary controller. The Aeon Stick being the secondary controller.
    - There are various issues with battery operated Merten Devices.
    - All z-wave devices (incl non-Merten brands) first need to be registered inside the Merten software before it can be read into HS2.
    - More background info (especially message #38): http://board.homeseer.com/showthread...=merten&page=2
    and http://www.smarthus.info/support/dow...Merten_bpd.pdf

The issue
    Merten has stopped production of their Z-wave range. Their Z-wave Connect software has not been updated for at least 4 years. In other words, the current Merten - HS2 structure is not future proof, to put it mildly.

I would like to migrate to HS3, but what to do with my z-wave devices, both Merten and non-Merten brands?

My options?

1. Throw out all my Merten devices and replace them with XYZ, thereby throw out thousands of $ invested...
    2. Create 2 z-wave networks in HS3 which (I think) is possible but probably will create its own headaches?
    3. or....?

Thanks in advance for any help or tips

Olof
    Hello Olof,

i use the merten devices (about 60) since 2009 with HS2 and now with HS3.
    The merten connect software is not nessescary! My primary controller with HS2 and HS3 is the aeon stick. The inclusion of the merten devices (Switches, Dimmer, Motion Sensor) is no problem!
    Only a battery switch is a bit tricky - but they work ins HS3 too.

Greetings Tom

Comment

Originally posted by TomKassel View Post
      Hello Olof,

i use the merten devices (about 60) since 2009 with HS2 and now with HS3.
      The merten connect software is not nessescary! My primary controller with HS2 and HS3 is the aeon stick. The inclusion of the merten devices (Switches, Dimmer, Motion Sensor) is no problem!
      Only a battery switch is a bit tricky - but they work ins HS3 too.

Greetings Tom
      Wow! This is really good news! . And I'm 95% sure it's new info for all Merten users over at domoticaforum.eu.

If it is not too much hassle, could you perhaps explain the steps you take to achieve this Nirvana status with Merten and HS3? I could promise that I would name my first grandchild after you, but you would probably have to wait around 20 years..

Comment

Originally posted by olof2006 View Post
        Wow! This is really good news! . And I'm 95% sure it's new info for all Merten users over at domoticaforum.eu.

If it is not too much hassle, could you perhaps explain the steps you take to achieve this Nirvana status with Merten and HS3? I could promise that I would name my first grandchild after you, but you would probably have to wait around 20 years..
        What did you mean with "Nirvana Status"?

Comment

Originally posted by TomKassel View Post
          What did you mean with "Nirvana Status"?
          Sorry, in my happiness I tried to be funny.
          Nirvana (Wikipedia): "It refers to the profound peace of mind that is acquired with moksha or release from a state of suffering"

Comment

As I have learned in this thread that direct connection between Merten and HS3 is possible (without using Merten software and a Merten primary controller), is there perhaps anyone who can share how this is done?

thanks in advance
            Olof

Comment

I use also a lot of devices from Merten (Schneider Electric) in HS2 now with the Merten software. A lot of my Merten devices are with battery and with two switches. Those devices work now well in HS2.
              TomKassels gives me a lot of hope for HS3 with Merten devices. But what does he mean with: The battery switch is a bit tricky.
              And which battery switches will work directly in HS3 and which one not?

Comment

Originally posted by wim2008 View Post
                I use also a lot of devices from Merten (Schneider Electric) in HS2 now with the Merten software. A lot of my Merten devices are with battery and with two switches. Those devices work now well in HS2.
                TomKassels gives me a lot of hope for HS3 with Merten devices. But what does he mean with: The battery switch is a bit tricky.
                And which battery switches will work directly in HS3 and which one not?
                There are no problems with the merten switches. I have a lot of them - switches, mulitlevel switches and argus motion sensors.
                You can take them out of the box (or set them to factory default!!!) - then chose "Add/Include node" (i do this with z-stick II) press the switch three times and the device is availabel in HS3.
                With the battery switch you have to do this multiple times before sucess!

Comment

Thanks for your answers. For a one switch battery I understand this fully.
                  But I like to know more details about the devices with battery and double switch.
                  You read in the switch in HS3 by pushing 3 times on the switch. Left or right switch? Or is this not required? If this is not required, are both switches visible in HS3 and can you control them seperated?
                  And how do you a connection in HS3 with a switch MTN506225 CONNECT radio push-button 2-gang to a CONNECT radio receiver a flush-mounted, 2-gang switch MTN507502 ?
                  Can you place a picture of this switch with radio receiver?in HS3?
                  And all the properties of Merten batery device are possible in HS3? Dimming from 0 to 100%?
                  Last edited by wim2008; October 5th, 2015, 12:53 PM.

Comment

I'am also using merten switches with hs3, I did use the merten battery 2 button switches with hs2 but gave up with hs3.

There is only one button that can Control homeseer, same goes for zwave.me. The second button can Control other zwave devices.

I can recommend zwave.me battery switches 2 buttons.
                    http://manuals.zwaveeurope.com/make....ku=ZME_WALLC-S
                    Attached Files

Comment

There is indeed no need for the Merten software.
                      Inclusion of the battery operated devices is no problem.
                      Programming the settings and associations is!
                      Before polling or programming the Merten device, first put the Merten device in communication mode. Press button 3 times. WAIT for the LED to blink 6 times and only THEN start the programming/polling command from Homeseer.

Note: this is even more tricky with Merten controller devices that are hidden behind impuls push buttons as you can not see the LED.
                      Press multiple times. Hope for the best and count to 6. Then send the command from Homeseer. Retry as often as needed.
                      Take your time, it certainly is possible. By the time you programmed everything, you will be very good at it ;-)

Comment

"The battery switch is a bit tricky"
                        This means that the timing is critical to add them to the zwave controller.
                        If you read the pdf in my previous post you see there is 1.5 seconds windows to include them.

Comment

Thanks for the explanation.
                          What is the best use for the double switches of Merten in HS3 if you want to control seperated 2 lamps?

Comment

The double Merten switches can control two separate lamps by direct association. However only one button can be associated with Homeseer, as the signal that is sent to Homeseer can not distinguish between the 2 buttons.

Comment

Last month I had some problems with my zwave network that some devices had several errors. I think this has happened while we have renovate my house
                              Can someone says to me how I can read in the Merten devices with batteries in HS3?

Wim

Comment

Working...
                              X