What is the best motion sensor

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What is the best motion sensor

I have had not great luck with motion sensors.

I had a HomeSeer HSM100 that was working fine then and now it seems it triggers motion continuously at the timeout period. I tried reprogramming it and it would work for a few minutes then go "crazy" again.

I had an old Aeotec DS805 MultiSensor go bad so I bought a new Aeotech MultiSensor 6. I never got it working very well. I had a hard time with the button on the outside that pressed the little lever in the case to put it in discovery mode. It also seemed to not sense motion at a very long distance (2 feet max). Finally out of frustration I destroyed it trying to get inside and figure out if the flimsy little lever was not making contact on the board.

ARGGGGGGG

So I still have an older Aeotec DS805 MultiSensor working (on USB power) and an Insteon one.

What devices seem to be the most reliable and "friendly"?

I've tried several flavors of z-wave motion and the results are mixed. It's hard to top the old X10 hawkeye(?) sensors. Those things are like Nokia phones - hard to kill them and they last forever.
    HS3Pro Running on a Raspberry Pi3
    64 Z-Wave Nodes, 168 Events, 280 Devices
    UPB modules via OMNI plugin/panel
    Plugins: Z-Wave, BLRF, OMNI, HSTouch, weatherXML, EasyTrigger
    HSTouch Clients: 3 Android, 1 Joggler

Comment

Here still have a few of the old X10 wireless and while now over 20 years old still work.

Best motion sensors though here are the ones wired to the security system. I utilize a combo of wall mounted PIR's and ceiling mounted 360 PIRs (Rokonets).
      - Pete

Auto mator
      Homeseer 3 Pro - 3.0.0.534 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e 64 bit Intel Haswell CPU - Mono 6.4X
      Homeseer Zee2 (Lite) - 3.0.0.534 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e - CherryTrail x5-Z8350 BeeLink 4Gb BT3 Pro - Mono 6.4X

X10, UPB, Zigbee, ZWave and Wifi MQTT automation.

Comment

i am always amazed by the Blue Line Gen2 Quad PIR Motion Detectors
        i have them hardwired into an Arduino and they work every time with no false reads and no misses (i am not sure that i like the pet friendly ones as much as they take an extra second to trigger but i only have one in the pantry so it's not a good test)

Comment

Hardwired is the best if you can, even had good results with ardiuno. Battery powered zwave work alright but they have a delay. I mainly use my sensors to turn lights of and other sensors to turn lights on (zwave door sensors work pretty well).

All around I still don't feel motion sensors are there for true light control to turn lights on. Either there is the delay, or it's hard to put them in places that don't see you just because you walked past a room and not in it.

Comment

I agree that the old X10 Hawkeye detectors work great all the time and their batteries last long enough (+2 year). I just ordered them cheaply on ebay and replaced the onboard transmitter for a better one and suitable for the European freq.

There is one drawback however. Since they last long and need no maintenance they are funny enough good homes for spiders too. They case some unexpected triggers but they wheren't false because there was movement..

Comment

HS100 OK

I just did more looking at my HS100.

When it started giving lots of false alarms I replace the batteries but that only helped for a few hours and the problem returned. After some fiddling I gave up and switch to the Aeotec Multisensor 6 that did not work so well either.

Today I decided to recheck the HS100 and it turns out it had some very slight battery corrosion on one of the terminals that was not very visible. I think that is what was causing the problem. I cleaned the terminals and dug out an old cell phone 5V charger and wired it up. Something that I was wanting to do anyway. Well now it is set to not sleep and it seems to work good again.

This is not an easy environment because the sensor is on my covered porch. It has zero chance of getting wet but the temperature can vary from below freezing in the Winter to the upper 90's.

Comment

QUESTION about the Blue Line Gen2 Quad PIR Motion Sensor

I looked at the Blue Line Gen2 Quad PIR Motion sensors at Amazon.

Do they have a low voltage relay closure? How do you hook them up to HomeSeer?

Thanks.

Comment

Passive infrared sensor

Here is a picture of a Leviton Occupancy sensor you would mount on the ceiling.

Attached Files
                  Last edited by Pete; July 23rd, 2016, 04:13 PM.
                  - Pete

Auto mator
                  Homeseer 3 Pro - 3.0.0.534 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e 64 bit Intel Haswell CPU - Mono 6.4X
                  Homeseer Zee2 (Lite) - 3.0.0.534 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e - CherryTrail x5-Z8350 BeeLink 4Gb BT3 Pro - Mono 6.4X

Comment

Personally, I use a mixed bag right now. You can't beat how easy it is to use the Hawkeyes. a few batteries and stick 'em to the wall. I first deplyed with those and the X-10 Security sensors (got them on a deal). The security ones are rather sensitive for larger areas (there is a heat shield around the sensor making them more focused on the area they need to be).

I've been moving...well, trying to move over to hardwired. I decided I did not want to write code as that would probably indefinitely stall the project. So, I went out and at the time Stupius had a Gamepad plugin for HS2. I then went to flea-bay and got some cheap gamepads. I isolated with some optical relays I had laying around (although my plan was to buy the relay for Arduinos on flea-bay for $10ish, considering the optical relays are Crydom .. $30 each).

It was recommended to me on the Coontech forum to try Ademco brand sensors. They were rather inexpensive but worked REALLY well. The one I have hooked up in my kitchen works REALLY well. I've NEVER had it false trigger. Looping through a gamepad is nearly INSTANT. I think the only delay we have is the command being sent to UPB...that just takes time. It is REALLY the fastest trigger I have.

There are two sets of lights in my kitchen. Over the sink and the main set. If you just walk in, the sink is the only light turned on. The reason, you are probably just heading to the fridge or something. If you are cooking, typically one would turn on ALL the lights. When you have all the lights on, the motion event sets the delay to turn the lights off much longer (10 min. vs 2min). I've experimented with less, but that doesn't work out.

I think the only time it has issues is if you have your back to it and you are cutting for a long period of time without the main lights on. My wife said that there is enough light from the sink light, so why turn them all on...

I've just started my move to HS3 and recently purchased Blade's plugin - that really was one of the only things holding me back (that and my job change has shifted my time I can allocate).

If you want the model number, let me know. I couldn't find the box and I'd have to go up to the ceiling and get the model number for you. It really was the best value sensor I could find at the time (I admit this was at the VERY least 2+ years ago).

--Dan
                    Tasker, to a person who does Homeautomation...is like walking up to a Crack Treatment facility with a truck full of 3lb bags of crack. Then for each person that walks in and out smack them in the face with an open bag.

Comment

My issue that I am still trying to figure out is the false alerts from the dogs. Both are about 80 pounds and trip the motions I have now.

I have had to disable the motions, but in this neck of the woods (and probably in most areas) for the cops to come, you have to have 2 zones tripped. Well disabling the motions makes the security system useless in my eyes.

I am considering the Bosch ones mentioned earlier, but not sure it will not still do the same thing as my current setup with my dogs.

Comment

How about turning the motion detectors upside down?

Comment

Here utilize outdoor Optex, Risco and Niteguard sensors and coyotes / rabbits trip them at night after hours.

These turn on outdoor LED / incandescent lighting when triggered making it daylight after hours.

Utilize these relating to the PIR motion lighting but not regular lighting.

The Risco Watchout sensor is way too big and not discrete at all. (You can see the LEDs on it from a great distance). Not sure if this is a good thing or a bad thing.

The Niteguard sensor has an adjustable head (found these in the UK). It is older PIR.

Optex sensors are smaller and a bit more discrete. (ones here also have a night and day sensor / wire)

They are utilized with the CCTV. That said also utilize the under the driveway sensors and have experimented some with geophone sensors placed adjacent to the cement walks. They way too sensitive but doing a combo thing it could work.
                          Last edited by Pete; July 27th, 2016, 03:12 PM.
                          - Pete

Auto mator

Comment

Originally posted by waynehead99 View Post
                            My issue that I am still trying to figure out is the false alerts from the dogs. Both are about 80 pounds and trip the motions I have now.
                            I've used pieces of tape on some motion sensors to 'target' a particular area to help with pet immunity. It's not 100%, but helps a little.
                            HS3Pro Running on a Raspberry Pi3
                            64 Z-Wave Nodes, 168 Events, 280 Devices
                            UPB modules via OMNI plugin/panel
                            Plugins: Z-Wave, BLRF, OMNI, HSTouch, weatherXML, EasyTrigger
                            HSTouch Clients: 3 Android, 1 Joggler

Comment

Originally posted by rmasonjr View Post
                              I've used pieces of tape on some motion sensors to 'target' a particular area to help with pet immunity. It's not 100%, but helps a little.
                              Recently I've considered trying this. I have one in my hallway that works great, but it picks up people walking BY the hallway in the living room. I just can't angle it properly enough to work where I need it and not pick up people in the living room.
                              Thanks,
                              Frank

Comment

Working...
                              X