X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• alexbk66
    replied
    Originally posted by rahaaas View Post

Perfectly happy to update Mono / whatever the other dependencies are when I can, as long as the system doesn’t explode again...

Kind of depends on whether you want to support these probably quite common, albeit legacy, systems. Can’t believe it’s not come up before.

Happy to give the Mono tracing a go in the meantime.

Your Linux is obviously light years ahead of mine... So. Oooookay. So that would be:
    export MONO_OPTIONS=--trace=E:all export MONO_LOG_MASK=asm export MONO_LOG_LEVEL=debug Right..? Not all that clear where the Mono logs are.
    Here' similar discussion for AKGoogleCast plugin

https://forums.homeseer.com/forum/me...-install/page2

So, the idea is to open another terminal window (same HS root folder) and start the plugin manually with Mono assembly load tracing:

Code:
    sudo MONO_LOG_LEVEL="debug" MONO_LOG_MASK="dll" mono HSPI_AKIkea.exe
    And post the output - as attachment as it will be a lot...

[EDIT]

Output will be in the same console window

Leave a comment:

• alexbk66
    replied
    To be fair to HomeSeer, it looks like this is happening with HS4: https://forums.homeseer.com/forum/de...read-carefully
    They still use Mono 5.20 - and call it "most up-to-date" - when the latest is 6.8.0

Leave a comment:

• alexbk66
    replied
    I don't get why they event went the Linux route - HS is .NET - which is MS, so on Linux they just extra hassle with Mono. WHy?

[EDIT]

And what's more irritating - the software must be compatible with newer Mono versions. Why upgrading Mono breaks the HS functionality?

Leave a comment:

• rahaaas
    replied
    Understood.

It’s an odd platform, and an odd sector. Sort-of embedded, often critical, needs to be both stable and yet innovative and agile. Often tinkered with and also weirdly neglected.

I can’t help but think that should result in the software / hardware provider (ie HomeSeer) providing a balance between the stability of its systems, and providing a base for innovation. ie it should be able to properly support updates to key frameworks. It’s why I didn’t home-brew it all in the first place - I actually just want it to work.* Aaaaand then admittedly fiddle with it a bit.

Aaaaaaanyway. Let’s see if we can find a fix: if not, I’m going Mono The Future.

EDIT: *To be fair to HomeSeer, it looks like this is happening with HS4: https://forums.homeseer.com/forum/de...read-carefully

Leave a comment:

• alexbk66
    replied
    Yah [sick emoticon].

It’s odd that this hasn’t cropped up before when developing (or installing, and I must have used 50+) other plugins.
    Sometimes I do get request from users, but they manage to fix it by upgrading Mono, so I was never really involved before.

Newer libraries are developed for newer .NET versions (i.e. .NET Core or .NET Standard) which will create more and more problems in the future.

Currently to avoid these kind of problems with HS - I have to build most libs from source which is a pain.

I might build Newtonsoft.Json myself, hopefully it will fix your problem.

We'll keep looking.

Leave a comment:

• rahaaas
    replied
    Yah [sick emoticon].

It’s odd that this hasn’t cropped up before when developing (or installing, and I must have used 50+) other plugins.

Up until now, I’ve tried as far as possible to keep the box untampered with, so I don’t think it’s some weird thing I’ve done. Mebbe.

Will need a couple of days to get hold of a new keyboard and mouse for the SEL. Not convinced there’s another straightforward way to get what’s needed.

Leave a comment:

• alexbk66
    replied
    Hmm, I didn't know it's such a pain https://forums.homeseer.com/forum/ge...to-latest-mono

Leave a comment:

• alexbk66
    replied
    Yeah, actually - enable VNC

[EDIT] Assuming they have GUI, which is unlikely?

Leave a comment:

• rahaaas
    replied
    Yah. It is odd. Maybe it’s just the way that HS have handled the system image.

It’s a SEL. So runs Ubuntu. I have to pull it out of the loft, and into my chaotic mid-renovation lounge TV, as the only screen accessible at the moment. And in the middle of children.

Keep meaning to get a RD GUI up and running, which might do it. Also not sure on starting / stopping the service. Everything I’ve read talks about various scripts, none of which seem definitive.

So somewhere among that, I’ll have a go. Would be nice to get to the bottom of to help bulletproof the code, but also tempting to just update and hope the events don’t get obliterated...

Leave a comment:

• alexbk66
    replied
    Strange that some do have problems with Mono, some don't

I think to get output from SSH you need to kill HS - then start HS from SSH. And I suspect Mono trace will be just in the same window output.

I'm trying to sort it out too. But it's much easier if you could connect a monitor. What device it is again?

Leave a comment:

• rahaaas
    replied
    Ha! Next step would be finding a way of getting an output from Mono over an SSH session... Hopefully get a chance to investigate that later.

Leave a comment:

• alexbk66
    replied
    BTW, maybe try ver 3.0.0.24 - I did more dependency clean-up

Leave a comment:

• alexbk66
    replied
    Any progress on that? Before it's 2am again ​​​​​​​

Leave a comment:

• alexbk66
    replied

Will do! It’s going to be a big old job, but sure they’d all benefit from an update. Unless HS4 lives up to the hype .
    Regarding HS4 - they didn't change much in the event engine, mostly UI uplift. And I suspect it will take another 6 months to get it going

Leave a comment:

• alexbk66
    replied

Perfectly happy to update Mono / whatever the other dependencies are when I can, as long as the system doesn’t explode again...

Kind of depends on whether you want to support these probably quite common, albeit legacy, systems. Can’t believe it’s not come up before.

Happy to give the Mono tracing a go in the meantime.

Your Linux is obviously light years ahead of mine... So. Oooookay. So that would be:
    export MONO_OPTIONS=--trace=E:all export MONO_LOG_MASK=asm export MONO_LOG_LEVEL=debug Right..? Not all that clear where the Mono logs are.
    Yeah, something like this.

It's again 1:30 am, so talk tomorrow

Leave a comment:

Working...
X