Shelly H&T device switching to "Unknown"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Shelly H&T device switching to "Unknown"

I have about 10 Shelly H&T temperature sensors spread around my house, they all communicate to the Shelly app just fine, but i'm seeing the status switch from displaying the temperature to saying "Unknown". Once the scheduled wake-up happens or if i manually "wake" the sensors up the data all comes back, but i'm seeing the last known temp/humidity readings drop out and switch to Unknown several times per day, and it's happening on all my H&T sensors. Am i doing something wrong in the setup? i have them set to wake up and report readings every 12 hours.

Yeah, that's the common problem with battery powered devices. The plugin calculates time to next H&T wake-up and tries to communicate with it. If it can't reach H&T for some time after the calclated time - it reports "Unknown" state.

This is done to avoid stale readings if the H&T is not communicating for some reason.

The H&T should report the "sleep_mode_period" to the plugin for these calculations. I need to check my source code if I process it correctly. I might increase the tolerance, or even make it configurable.

BTW, did you know - Shelly made the USB power connector for Shelly H&T - great helper to avoid using batteries!

Comment

Originally posted by jmccresry View Post
      I have about 10 Shelly H&T temperature sensors spread around my house, they all communicate to the Shelly app just fine, but i'm seeing the status switch from displaying the temperature to saying "Unknown"
      I modified the plugin not to reset the child devices (except for battery status), also added 1 hr tolerance for resetting the root and battery devices.

That's in version BETA 3.0.0.17 - which I will post in BETA section of the updater when HST fix the problem with it (hope today!)

Comment

Version 3.0.0.17 in BETA section now - please verify. jmccresry

Comment

So far so good! the battery device have shown "unknown" a couple times, but most importantly, the last received temp/humidity readings have stayed on the devices. Now my HSTouch tablet will stop displaying "unknown" for the readings

Comment

For Battery device I do reset to unknown after 1 Hr tolerance from expected wake-up time - to make sure you can see that the device is not communicating.

I ordered the USB power connector for Shelly H&T - with USB power connected the update period reduces to 10 minutes.

Comment

same here, i ordered some of the USB adapters, seem to be back ordered though. However, as an experiment, on one of my sensors i built my own usb power adapter out of a Mini360 buck converter set to 3.3V output, taking 5V usb down to 3.3V and soldered it directly to the battery pins, it fits neatly inside the existing enclosure and so far works really well. At only $0.30 per module on AliExpress, price can't be beat. Just have to check the "USB Power" option on the Shelly Settings webpage.

Comment

That's pretty cool, and cheap! Great idea. But too late

Comment

Hmm, it doesn't look like version 3.0.0.17 was actually published in BETA?
                  Anyways, I published 3.0.0.18 - may be try again...

Comment

Latest version 3.0.0.29 in BETA (until approved by HST)

Comment

Working...
                    X