Z-wave reliability

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Z-wave reliability

So my current system is lighting only. I use Lutron. Rock solid solution. I never run into issues.

I’m at a point of growing my system, motion sensors, contact sensors, etc. I read multiple times that z-wave is very spotty. I have a z-wave stick+.

I don’t want to invest in z-wave technology if I’m finding I’m always trying to fix things.

What are your thoughts? Is there something else ?https://19216811.cam/ https://xender.vip/ https://testmyspeed.onl/

I run Homeseer on a VM with the USB stick in my basement. Am I asking for trouble?

Originally posted by NuzakFarnas View Post
    So my current system is lighting only. I use Lutron. Rock solid solution. I never run into issues.

I’m at a point of growing my system, motion sensors, contact sensors, etc. I read multiple times that z-wave is very spotty. I have a z-wave stick+.

I don’t want to invest in z-wave technology if I’m finding I’m always trying to fix things.

What are your thoughts? Is there something else ?

I run Homeseer on a VM with the USB stick in my basement. Am I asking for trouble?
    I have Z-Wave network too and I hate it. It's expensive and unreliable. I think that IP (WiFi) protocols become more popular and become new standard:

Project Connected Home over IP

That's why I'm creating plugins for Sonoff and Shelly devices. I wouldn't invest in Sonoff though - the company seem to be too slow... But Shelly devices are great - constant improvement, they are working now an 19 new devices.

Comment

I had to z-wave units with communication issues early on. An unused plugin unit between them and the controller fixed that. I also do not too anytime on batteries outside seasonal old X10 Motrin sensors. The only other problem I have had was cheaper units having a limited lifespan. Others for the same purchase have outlasted the Alpine stereo in my truck.

WiFi units are hit and miss on what is and it's not controllable. I bought two plugin units which mirrored Sonoff S31 units, down to having an S31 designation. I can't even flash them after opening one up. And everything I have tried to intercept the signal isn't working.

If you go with WiFi units, make sure someone else has done the leg work getting them to function with your system. Personally, I would suggest you only use something you can flash with Tasmota or some other closed network protocol.

You didn't mention Zigbee. Have you considered that?

In the end, we all have our preferences for various reasons.
      Karl S
      HS4Pro on Windows 10
      1070 Devices
      56 Z-Wave Nodes
      104 Events
      HSTouch Clients: 3 Android, 1 iOS
      Google Home: 3 Mini units, 1 Pair Audios, 2 Displays

Comment

Originally posted by ksum View Post
        WiFi units are hit and miss on what is and it's not controllable. I bought two plugin units which mirrored Sonoff S31 units, down to having an S31 designation. I can't even flash them after opening one up. And everything I have tried to intercept the signal isn't working.

If you go with WiFi units, make sure someone else has done the leg work getting them to function with your system. Personally, I would suggest you only use something you can flash with Tasmota or some other closed network protocol.
        That's why I suggest Shelly - they are excellent in my view. They support many protocols out-of-the box - REST API, MQTT, CoIoT, embedded web server, you name it.

Don't need re-flashing - some made a mistake flashing Tasmota - completely unnecessary.

https://forums.homeseer.com/forum/li...ig-screenshots

Comment

Don't forget that the Shelly 2 units also report power consumption. This will probably be the next unit I purchased to play with. But I'm building out my own controller for my woodshop lighting first. MQTT and controlled light zones which will share some of the lights across multiple zones. Mostly LEDs but some currently existing line voltage lights.
          Karl S
          HS4Pro on Windows 10
          1070 Devices
          56 Z-Wave Nodes
          104 Events
          HSTouch Clients: 3 Android, 1 iOS
          Google Home: 3 Mini units, 1 Pair Audios, 2 Displays

Comment

Originally posted by ksum View Post
            Don't forget that the Shelly 2 units also report power consumption. This will probably be the next unit I purchased to play with. But I'm building out my own controller for my woodshop lighting first. MQTT and controlled light zones which will share some of the lights across multiple zones. Mostly LEDs but some currently existing line voltage lights.
            Yeah, I still need to work out how to add the consumption readings to the HS Energy DB.

Note: It's a Sonoff thread

Comment

Working...
            X